[XP] Dynamic Effects Engine (DEE) (scripting tool/base system)

Started by Ryex, October 17, 2009, 08:19:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

Dynamic Effects Engine
Authors: Ryex
Version: 1.61
Type: Effects Engine
Key Term: Scripting Tool

Introduction

this is a scripting tool. as such on its own it dose NOT add any functionality to a game.
it is a frame work that provides methods and structure to create dynamic effects based on the player or an events position relative to a source on the map.

Version 1.2
- massive lag decrease
Version 1.6
- improved speed added Dynamic Position Sources and the mute feature
Version 1.61
- fixed a small bug with Dynamic Position Sources

Features

• Provides a frame work for creating dynamic effects based on the player or an events position relative to a source.
  • Under 300 lines of code (comments not included)

Screenshots

NA

Demo

NA

Script

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AUKLI9M5vfiOZGdiNXdnMjVfMjBkc3Y5NTlneg&hl=en

Instructions

this is a scripting tool a description of the classes and how to use them is located in the script

Compatibility

this is a tool it is as compatible as you make it

Credits and Thanks

• Ryex
  • Blizzard (for giving me a piece of code that I should of seen myself)

Author's Notes

Please! ask questions, poke through the code, make suggestions for the improvement of this tool. and comment!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

very nice I'm gonna take a look at all of this. I'll give you some feedback in a little.

BTW database'd ;)

EDIT:
syntax error line 97

Ryex

lol I forgot a '.' on that line first post fixed.

EDIT: in getting my Dynamic sounds script to work I had to get a few bugs worked out of the code so here is an updated version *edits first post*
I'll release my Dynamic Sounds script tomorrow after I figure out the exact way to configure it
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

well now, maybe I LIKE crediting you!

UPDATE:
V1.2 has a MASSIVE lag drop.

UPDATE:
v1.21 fixes a bug when there is more than one map

Ryex

Fantasist

I was checking this out just the other day (about 3 days ago) and thought "Hm, nice work!" I didn't want to necropost for giving you my compliments, but the universe wishes it and here I say it: nice work, Ryex :D *levels up*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Ryex

why thank you. it is just a tool though, it's not all that impressive on it's own unless you look at it from a scripting point of view. then it is a rather decent back bone for this like my dynamic sounds script.

Fantasist

Exactly! Now I don't have to do the tedious work when you've already made a pretty good module! It's plug-and-script! :3

I do have a suggestion, though. If it were me, I wouldn't  make the class names so general. Of course, not that many other scripts made for RMXP would use words like "Source" and "Client", but just to be safe, I'd name them, say, "DEE_Source", "DEE_Client", etc.
This is just me, though, babbling about non-issues ^_^'
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Ryex

but then those classes are inside a module so unless some one did

modual DEE
  class source
    #code
  end
end

they would never be effected

Kett Shee

You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Jackolas

that's kinda an insult around here.

SDK makes all scripts in your game break.
this isn't

Kett Shee

oh, sorry...i didn't realize.(i meant like a better version)

Ryex

no not by a long shot
the sdk is an attempt to make scripts to rewrite the rtp scripts in a way that was more compatible and increase the compatibility between user made scripts.

this is simply a frame work or an really small API that allows scripters to, using this as a back bone, creat systems that are based on the player's or another event position/distance from a source. without lag and with an increased change of compatibility with scripts using the same system.

winkio

The SDK: a group of guys got together and reinvented the wheel, only it was lopsided and not as good as the original.

Kett Shee

Oh, i get it now. And yeah SDK never really worked for me.

Fantasist

March 27, 2010, 07:42:50 am #16 Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 07:43:51 am by Mad Scientist Fantasist
@Ryex: Ah, my mistake, didn't realize the classes were in a module >.<

Regarding SDK: ShowHide
I think the SDK is not as bad as it is pointless. Modularizing things does help compatibility, but it was not coded optimally. Plus, that level of ripping the original to pieces will only help if the RMXP's default system was the OpenGL or the JVM or some other widely used platform with lots of developers. I think RMXP doesn't even come close. Most of RMXP's users do it for kicks. If anyone's serious about developing a game, they would get help from a scripter (who doesn't need to worry about compatibility with the rest of the RMXP scripts out there).
Anyway, point in conclusion: the SDK is not as bad as it's pointless.
It would do for good practice, though. I'm sure it helped the developers gain loads of experience from their coding as well as their mistakes.

Griver03

Like in tthe desrcription i get the error SYNTAX ERROR on line 144 but only with the new 1.61 one the 1.6 works fine ! ive tested it in a new project too and the same error... pls help me i want to install sound engine 2.04 and dynamic weather tonight ^^
thx and sry for my bad english  :ninja:
My most wanted games...

Ryex

well there is nothing wring with the script. in any case I re copied the script to google docs so try again.

Griver03

Sry for Posting in Script Troubleshooting  :^_^': i've forget to post here big sry  :roll:

so i get a Syntax Error on Line 144 even in a clean project...
1.6 works fine so i dont know why  :(
pls help me ^^

#treat it as a strip
-->    if (client.x >= piece.x - piece.power && client.x <= (piece.x + piece.width - 1 + piece.power))
        if (client.y >= piece.y && client.y <= (piece.y + piece.height - 1))
My most wanted games...