[XP]CPDISES(Calintz's Picture Display with Interactive Scrolling Event System)

Started by Calintz, October 19, 2009, 02:24:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

CPDISES (Calintz's Picture Display with Interactive Scrolling Event System)
Version: v1.0
Type: "Show Picture" mod

Introduction

This event system has been coded to do one thing ... give the player the ability to scroll pictures by using the Up and Down arrow keys (this system is not limited to using only these keys, but will require modification in order to use additional keys). This system has two optional features that have been pre-coded into the system for optional use. You have the ability to use different pictures upon calling the same scene, and you have the ability to set custom music to be played while viewing the scene (You can also change the music for each picture you use!! Simply use the additional slots provided, or add more if there are not enough slots to suit your needs).

Features

• Interactive Scrolling
  • Option to use different pictures at different times
  • Option to use a custom BGM when displaying and scrolling pictures
  • Option to use different custom BGMs with separate pictures if you utilize that feature

Screenshots

Screenshots can't capture moving objects, please download the DEMO for more information

Demo

DEMO:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PMHH6FQV
MIRROR:
http://rapidshare.com/files/295154966/Quest_Picture_DEMO.exe.html

Instructions

Copy an paste the common events from the demo into your project.
Create switches and variables for the features you wish to use with this event system, and modify the common event to correspond.

Credits and Thanks

• Calintz16438
  • Yoko Shimomura - if you use the BGM found in the audio folder
  • Miguel - if you use his quest log picture in your game. PLEASE ask for his permission first. (www.rmxpunlimited.net)

Author's Notes

Take a good look at the code.
EVERYTHING has been commented for a better understanding.

There is an additional event system in here with the sole purpose of immobilizing the main character, and removing specific functions from the game momentarily (save game, enemy encounters, menu) so that nothing interferes with the scene while it's running. Note that you will need to use it in order to ensure there are no errors ...

**Initiate action with the sign to activate the DEMO.

Subsonic_Noise

I haven't tested this so far, but it sure has an awesome name.
(I'm downloading it right now)

Calintz

LMAO, thank you ...
It's short lived, but if you open the project file and look at the code; you are sure to get the gist of everything ...

Thanks for your support!!

Subsonic_Noise

Alright, I tested it and looked at the common event.
My conclusion is: THIS SHIT IS USEFUL! xD
It's one of the small but important features that actually nearly every game needs. I might use it for my game, but I'm quite unsure about event systems due to my
severe phobia of loosing track of my variables and switches, lol.
But this looks like good work^^

Hellfire Dragon

Sounds like this could be useful when showing something like a large map :) Sounds good, downloading now ;)

Calintz

Thank you Subsonic. =D.

@Hellfire Dragon:
Yes, that is what this was created for, but note that I only worked with the up and down arrows ...
This system is just a base. It only shows you how to organize your own system really, because I can't determine the width x height of a picture you are planning to use you know?

The picture used in this system is 640px by 480px. That leaves 480px unaccounted for that extend past the default height limit. So, I divide 480 by 60 and get 8. So, in that sense, you can scroll 8times. You have to define your own x and y locations in realtion to the "scroll position" variable.

So say you were displaying a world map or something that was 1200px by 960px. You would not only have to add handlers for the left and right arrow functions, but you would also have to create a new variable to store the scroll position into.

Maybe I'll modify this system when I get more time and do all of this for you guys ...

Jalm

Ehhh...I didn't like the name. No offense.

Anyway, this looks really useful. I'll most likely find an excuse to use this somehow.

Calintz

No offense to you, but it matters not what people think about the name. I didn't make the name to impress people.
The name is what it is, because it reflects EXACTLY what the system does. The acronym is just there for abbreviations ...

BTW:
Thanks for your support.

G_G

I never knew Chaos Project had its own DICES :o

Lol CP DISES xD

Anyways nice system I think I may end up using it in my game, we'll find out lol.
*lv's up*

Calintz

The truth is ...
This is a just a base to create your own system, unless you choose to use a picture with the exact same dimensions and want to allow the exact same amount of scrolls. I really don't require credit for this, but if you feel like throwing my name in there, feel free ...

legacyblade

Wow, this could make a really good Journal system. I might just use this. Great job Calintz *powers up*

Calintz

legacyblade

Out of curiosity, what purpose did you have in mind when creating the system?

Calintz

Well, I browse www.rmxpunlimited.net occasionally, and some guy was having problems doing this. He thought he needed a script, but I assured him that he didn't. I created this for him to use in his game. He wanted to be able to display a picture with a lot of writing on it. (Quest Description)

He wanted that file to be very large so that the text was easily readable. His design didn't allow for this. So, I whipped this up so he could scroll.

legacyblade

oh, well I guess that my idea wasn't too far off from the original purpose, lol. Great event system, Calintz, I like that it doesn't lag.

Calintz

Great idea ...
Those are the only kind I have ... O_o

!! XD !! LMAO Just kidding.
But yeah, it's a good system.

I had to immobilize the main functions though, or else when you exited you would bring up the menu, and your character wouldn't be standing in the same spot as when you opened it. Lol.