Music Legalties

Started by Nortos, February 16, 2008, 11:59:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nortos

Hey guys I've been researching it and I can't find anything really but I was wondering the legal issues of this.
If my game was NOT commercial and I decided to rip some of my game soundtracks like Guild Wars and Valkerie Profile would this be illegal? The parts I've read about says that it's illegal to distribute copies of your music and someone I know thinks that they would just have a free copy of the music when they play your game, I would of course encrypt it with DREAM but would this be illegal or legal?

Punn

From what I learned, if you use their music and trying to make money, then its illegal, but if your just using it and not trying to make money, its okay. And I think you should also credit em as well..

Blizzard

Just like mumerus said. Everybody can rip it, so I guess encrypting with DREAM isn't necessary, but you can still use it as precaution.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Quan

It's sort of a complicated issue, but as long as you're not making any money off of distributing your game it shouldn't be a problem.  Once money gets involved you have to deal with royalties and intellectual property rights and all of that other legal mumbo-jumbo.

Of course, you can always play it like we do in the world of sampling and just hope you don't get caught.  ;D

Nortos

:P anyway I wasn't gonna sell my game, so yeah I think I'll go forward with it