[RMXP] Planeswalker

Started by tSwitch, November 09, 2009, 05:52:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tSwitch

November 09, 2009, 05:52:05 pm Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 12:51:29 am by NAMKCOR

Temperance Games Original
GIAW:V 1st Place Contestant
Download Link

November 2009
Excited and Nervous, scientists in europe fired up what could be argued as man's largest scale
experiment in history.  The Large Hadron Collider.
All systems checked clean and the recent repairs and modifications were holding well.
Soon thereafter, the first protons were entered into the system, and were collided.
The Science Team hadn't the time to react to the readings, as the rift opened and engulfed them all
in an instant..

The characters of Planeswalker have all been changed by this new dimension.  Each have lost
the most important aspect of what makes them who they are.

Meeting up by chance, they have decided it's time to go.

Amaranth

A freelance reporter who snuck through the portal in an effort to break the story of this new dimension.
What he lost is a mystery to his comrades.
Starting Element - Wind
Starting Strength - Speed

Sydney

A young poet who made the voyage into the new realm in search of new inspiration.
Sydney has lost her emotions, becoming a restless sociopath.
Starting Element - Savior
Starting Strength - Special

Claire

A historian looking to catalogue quite possibly the greatest historical event within the last
hundred years.  She has lost her long term memory and cannot recall anything before having stepped
through the portal.
Starting Element - Fire
Starting Strength - Physical

Planeswalker is styled as a Classic RPG.
Some unique features include:

Skill Shop:
At save points, buy any skill for any character, allowing for total customization of battle strategy.

Skill Equip System:
Just buying skills isn't enough, you have to equip them too.  Each character can Equip up to 8 skills, so plan carefully.

Stat Points:
Each time your characters level up, they gain a few points for you to distribute to their stats.  Play with strengths and weaknesses to make your party how you want it.

Edible Flora:
There are some edible plants that you can harvest around this world, keep an eye out, they'll help out in a tight spot.

Strategic Turns Battle System:
Planeswalker uses a unique battle system created by NAMKCOR and programmed by Blizzard.
With the STBS, Characters and Enemies can act multiple times per turn, allowing for extensive planning and strategy.
Further information is included in the Manual.

title: ShowHide

swamp: ShowHide

battle: ShowHide

jail: ShowHide

- blizzard
- ccoa
- game_guy
- ryex
- Kevin MacLeod
- pickles

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Aqua

Looks smexy :o

But... It shouldn't be in this board without a demo... :O

G_G

Very nice! I'm glad someone found a use for one of my scripts :)

Cant wait to try it out.

Ryex

Interesting, I wonder what I'm credited for. I'll have to play and find out! :D

also Nice use of a Mandelbrot bug
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

GAX

Omg...NAM, your work is amazing!

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

tSwitch

November 09, 2009, 07:18:47 pm #6 Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:20:20 pm by NAMKCOR
I'd have uploaded it already, but school net is retarded and wont' let me complete an upload.
I'll be putting a download link up later.

The game is actually done, not a demo.

oh yeah, shameless self plug:
I won Game in a Week: 5 with this game, or so over on RMRK.
8.78 out of 10

winkio

It's the Mandelbrot :O_O:

Very nice work :)

tSwitch

G_G

Just started playing it. Already loving it!
Just beat that swamp monster thing.

tSwitch

Quote from: game_guy on November 09, 2009, 10:13:22 pm
Just started playing it. Already loving it!
Just beat that swamp monster thing.

glad you're liking it so far.

Ryex

Wow nice game so far. and I love how my CMS looks in game  :P though I wish you would of done away with the door icon I made :<_<: lol I'll keep playing and give more feed back
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

tSwitch

Quote from: Ryexander on November 10, 2009, 02:04:54 am
Wow nice game so far. and I love how my CMS looks in game  :P though I wish you would of done away with the door icon I made :<_<: lol I'll keep playing and give more feed back

I thought the door looked good :)

Fantasist

Another one of MANKCOR's games, goodie! *downloads*
It's been ages since I've properly played an RMXP game. I'm looking forward to playing this.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

tSwitch

updated to v1.04 with a couple bug fixes

godsrighthand

Game looks awesome
Downloading now....
My fav sayings
---My god carries a hammer. Your god died nailed to a tree. Any questions?
---When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
---War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.
---I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
---I intend to live forever, or die trying.

tSwitch

[Faint]

is there any possibility of some inspiration from Magic the Gathering's "Planeswalkers"?
Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

tSwitch

Quote from: [Faint] on November 17, 2009, 02:56:01 pm
is there any possibility of some inspiration from Magic the Gathering's "Planeswalkers"?

Answered that on RMRK, it's a resounding NO.
I had the idea for the main "Planeswalker Chronicles" story about 3-4 years ago and this is the prequel to that main story arc/series.

Blizzard

NAMK told me about Planeswalker for the first time about 2 years ago I think.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

[Faint]

tSwitch

yeah it was about 2 years ago Blizz.

mila26

looks berry berry nice
i hope 2 see a demon soon

tSwitch

a demon?

if you mean a demo, there's a download link for the full game, it's done, not in progress, lol.

OracleGames

lol a "demon"
Hey Namkcor, i tried your game yesterday, but got stuck  :( i dont understad the controls, looks like as if i could
give infinite orders to a single character, how am i supposed to swamp them??
Nice music BTW

tSwitch

boisei0

Quote from: NAMKCOR on November 21, 2009, 12:05:47 am
read the manual

Like it wasn't that clear enough, read this, don't read this...
~Boisei0

Hellfire Dragon

November 21, 2009, 09:36:11 am #27 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:45:00 am by Hellfire Dragon
Downloading it now NAMK, looks very awesome :)

EDIT: I started playing a while ago, cleared the first boss and I'm on the next part, liking it so far, nice work ;)

tSwitch

thanks, glad you're enjoying it :)

Quote from: boisei0 on November 21, 2009, 07:48:44 am
Quote from: NAMKCOR on November 21, 2009, 12:05:47 am
read the manual

Like it wasn't that clear enough, read this, don't read this...

exactly

OracleGames

November 21, 2009, 08:04:28 pm #29 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:37:27 pm by OracleGames
That was rude, its not a tool its a game :o .. There should be at least a brief explanation IN the game for the average player that starts playing right away, i ensure most of them would just stop playing when they dont find an explanation for the most basic hotkeys.. well thats just my opinion, every commercial game now has the instructions included in the main program for a good reason..

winkio

November 21, 2009, 08:09:36 pm #30 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:51:06 pm by winkio
Most people read the manual and other included documents when they get stuck.  NAMKCOR isn't doing anything wrong (a tutorial is always nice, but not required).  He's not being rude either.  OracleGames find something better to do with your time than make a scene in other people's game threads.

OracleGames

Woaaah!.. Its just a suggestion, no need to rage.. all that im saying is that there should be in-game instructions like in most commercial games so the players dont not have to minimize and look for a manual in a separated folder it can damage the game presentation, its a suggestion, im not bashing anybody.

QuoteOracleGames find something better to do with your time than make a scene in other people's game threads.

Well theres a reason why people post their work right?? im just giving my opinion in the subject, you are the one making a scene whit that kind of comments, whatever i do whit my time is offtopic.
Nevertheless i like the game and im playing it.

winkio

November 21, 2009, 08:38:36 pm #32 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:46:56 pm by winkio
Lol don't try and play the victim.  You insulted someone in their own game thread.  That's not cool.

Then you edited the worst part out which I like.  But then, you made a post (the one after this) like you never did anything wrong in the first place, after you quite obviously made an edit that indicated that you were covering up something wrong.

OracleGames

November 21, 2009, 08:40:12 pm #33 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 08:56:17 pm by OracleGames
QuoteLol don't try and play the victim.  You insulted someone in their own game thread.  That's not cool.

How am i insulting Namcor? im commenting about his game presentation .. let him read my comments and know if he is insulted or not, stop thinking for someone else please :haha:

EDIT:
QuoteThen you edited the worst part out which I like.  But then, you made a post (the one after this) like you never did anything wrong in the first place, after you quite obviously made an edit that indicated that you were covering up something wrong.

You mean the part where i stated i liked the game and talked about the custumer treatment being bad?
im not covering it, i often edit my posts to sound good & clear ideas.. i still consider not making things clear for a customer is rude  :naughty: most games have manual in the instalation folder and the game itself, get over already, nobody gets hurt whit constructive arguments & critisism, its not going to take Namcor´s sleep away neither, thanks for making a huge teather over here.

Aqua

The act of insulting someone is still the same act whether or not the victim is insulted by said act.

And yes... you insulted Nam for saying that he treated his "customer" poorly when he just told you to read the manual.

OracleGames

November 21, 2009, 11:11:10 pm #35 Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:13:47 pm by OracleGames
Quoteyou insulted Nam for saying that he treated his "customer" poorly when he just told you to read the manual.

My english is not perfect but tell me, is that even considered an offence?? Nevertheles i have no problem apologizing, the idea was to make a suggestion (the one i presented above) not to hurt someone´s feelings so im sorry if i did  :^_^':

tSwitch

November 22, 2009, 01:29:28 am #36 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:30:33 am by NAMKCOR
I didn't put a tutorial in game for a couple reasons.

1) It'd break continuity - I wanted to avoid this
2) It wouldn't work story wise - these people have been here for months, they know how to fight.

The Manual is in the game folder.
The Readme points you to it.
Here's a quote:

QuoteOpen the Manual.htm file in the Manual folder
it explains all the unique stuff you need to know.

if you don't read it, you may find yourself confused by some
aspects of this game.

-- NAMKCOR

I put it there to help explain things so that I didn't have to break the game continuity just to explain how the battle system works, or how to use set points interface.  If I wanted to do that, I wouldn't have made a manual.

I provided you with the resource to learn what you needed to know, you just chose to avoid it.

That all being said, you can put up to 6 moves on a character, not infinite moves, if you press ESC it'll take you to the previous actor, if any, if you click "Set" it goes to the next, if you click "Revise" it deletes moves from the bottom of the list up.

Blizzard

November 22, 2009, 04:30:27 am #37 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:37:55 am by Blizzard
IMO tutorials are for casual gamers only. And you don't want to be compared to a casual gamer. #_#
Games 15 years ago didn't have tutorials either and they were JUST FINE.
Besides, I'd rather "lose" a customer than "get mindfucked" by a customer.

tSwitch

that's what the manual is for anyway.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on November 22, 2009, 04:30:27 am
IMO tutorials are for casual gamers only. And you don't want to be compared to a casual gamer. #_#
Games 15 years ago didn't have tutorials either and they were JUST FINE.
Besides, I'd rather "lose" a customer than "get mindfucked" by a customer.

I consider myself a casual gamer now (the occasional lite RPG or FPS). What, exactly, do you think is wrong with that? I'm definitely not a DS fangirl who can't get enough of Imagine and Nintendogs.

Zylos

Haha, more drama over tutorials.

At least this time its better than someone being confused about saving the game at a save crystal.

tSwitch

Quote from: Zylos on November 22, 2009, 09:28:56 pm
Haha, more drama over tutorials.

At least this time its better than someone being confused about saving the game at a save crystal.

I explained save points in game just for him.

OracleGames

November 23, 2009, 01:38:54 am #42 Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 01:43:33 am by OracleGames
That was 15 years ago.. A manual for a game was more like a luxury then a real need, but games were not that complex either.. sidescrollers,button smashing fighting games, shooters etc.. i remember playing sim city for the first time i did not know what i was doing thanks to the not so self-explanatory HUD, Icons..( Just like in most custom RMaker fighting systems) so i often checked the booklet manual that comes whit the CD case, now thanks to the competition there are hundreds of options out there trying to get your attention and a manual/tutorial watever is part of the presentation just like the title screen, you dont want the people whose you make the game for being stuck whit technical stuff, guessing, checking folders while it could be easier to reach xD

QuoteI explained save points in game just for him.

"ohh thanks i feel lots smarter now"  8)

QuoteI put it there to help explain things so that I didn't have to break the game continuity just to explain how the battle system works

You could also add a choice whether the player wants to go trough an explanation or not xD you dont have to break game continuity.

Well in conclusion i think a tutorial in-game is always a nice thing to have, sorry for flooding your game topic whit needless drama :P now that i think of it, the more views/replies the more traffic you get = more feedback..
good for you :D

Zylos

Quote from: OracleGames on November 23, 2009, 01:38:54 am
QuoteI explained save points in game just for him.

"ohh thanks i feel lots smarter now"  8)

We're talking about someone else on a completely different game. ^^;

OracleGames

QuoteWe're talking about someone else on a completely different game. ^^;

Someone that didnt understand how the saving crystals work? :S
:^_^':

Blizzard

November 23, 2009, 04:18:15 am #45 Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:21:14 am by Blizzard
@LF: You think you're a casual gamer? So you're using Windows, have a hard time remembering how to turn Windows off, don't understand quite well why it's so complicated since you can just pull the power plug, have a typing speed of 1.8 letters per second and are most probably a woman between 30 and 60? And I'm just getting started.
Think again!

That was 15 years ago.. A manual for a game was more like a luxury then a real need, but games were not that complex either.. sidescrollers,button smashing fighting games, shooters etc.. i remember playing sim city for the first time i did not know what i was doing thanks to the not so self-explanatory HUD, Icons..

Sim City's over 15 years old, you just defeated your own point. There are tons of old games without tutorials, but all had a manual and people were just fine, they weren't complaining about them not having tutorials. In fact I remember that most people skipped tutorials, if the games had one, because they were so annoying.

tSwitch

You could also add a choice whether the player wants to go trough an explanation or not xD you dont have to break game continuity.

That breaks game continuity, and is why the manual is there.
If you wanted the explanation, you could have always read it.

tSwitch

bumping this real quick to say that Planeswalker is in RMRK's Project of the Month poll for December, as well as Wrath Steel and Locus, all deserving games, go cast your vote if you're a member.

</Zyloslikeplugforawards>

ShinyToyGuns

November 27, 2009, 06:04:14 am #48 Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:06:07 am by ShinyToyGuns
Voted; may the best game win :)
Days
I've missed so many days
In a world that has become an unfamiliar place
Now to you, I'm just an unfamiliar face

~Shiny Toy Guns, Blown Away (2008)

Zylos

Quote from: NAMKCOR on November 27, 2009, 02:57:01 am
bumping this real quick to say that Planeswalker is in RMRK's Project of the Month poll for December, as well as Wrath Steel and Locus, all deserving games, go cast your vote if you're a member.

</Zyloslikeplugforawards>

Shush you, I was just plugging for the eventing award. <_<

But anyway, yup, I voted for you too. ^^

tSwitch

I wasn't saying "vote for me" I was saying "awards are open, I'm there, vote for your favorite"

there's a total difference.
I mean, Wrath Steel is posted here too, I'd never try to gimp the competition

Blizzard

I don't get the end. What did he lose? ._.

tSwitch

Quote from: Blizzard on November 27, 2009, 11:00:53 pm
I don't get the end. What did he lose? ._.

You've beaten it and you don't get it?
PM me or talk to me on IRC or something, lol.

tSwitch

Bumpdate.

Planeswalker has won POTM of December on RMRK, and I'm going to be releasing a special edition, complete with (possibly) achievements, and a Developer's Commentary mode :)

Aqua

[Faint]

I really enjoyed it! 8) but on a side note, what message system is that because I have been looking for one set up exactly how you have it lol.

Calintz

really does look quite good NAMKOR.

tSwitch

thank you guys, sorry about not making the special edition, I got caught up in schoolwork.

Faint: it's CCOA's UMS.

[Faint]