Have a Question about Transfering Data...

Started by Alunasa, November 16, 2009, 10:55:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Alunasa

This is potentially a very stupid question but I'm feeling brain-dead and can't think of any way to resolve this.  I'm currently working with a friend on a mutual project and both of us are relatively new to RMXP.  I'm doing ALL of the maps and she's working on events.  The problem is that I want to transfer the maps (including the passability and priority settings) to her computer without over writing everything that she's done regarding events, weapons and items....

Fortunately we know each other in real life so we can literally pass around a jump drive with the information if necessary.  The problem is just that neither of us can think of a way to do this without losing a good 3-4 hours of work in the process.

Any suggestions would be welcome at this point...

-Alunasa

legacyblade

Go into your game's Data folder, copy each of the map files (they all look something like "Map001.rxdata") and MapInfos.rxdata

That should do it.

Alunasa

Unfortunately we've already tried it and it doesn't work.  I still have to go in and set all of the priorities and passability options on her computer.  I'm sorry if I didn't mention it before but we're using custom tilesets.

Any other ideas?

G_G

you shouldnt have to reset all prioraties ect, include the tilesets.rxdata, that should do it,

Blizzard

Get Tortoise SVN, make a repository and use that subversion system. :P

Even though I should be serious, I'm just kidding since you probably don't know about subversion systems.

It's actually possible to make a script to merge event setup and the other map data into one file.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

OK. I'm thinking this is how it works. You can simply copy the maps (and renaming them if you have to) into the Data folder, then you need to add the new entries in the target MapInfos.rxdata. Am I correct? If it's just that, I can whip something up in a few minutes. But of course, everything to do with the Map ID could get screwed up (like transfer player). I'm not sure about this stuff.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Fantasist on November 17, 2009, 05:56:16 am
OK. I'm thinking this is how it works. You can simply copy the maps (and renaming them if you have to) into the Data folder, then you need to add the new entries in the target MapInfos.rxdata. Am I correct? If it's just that, I can whip something up in a few minutes. But of course, everything to do with the Map ID could get screwed up (like transfer player). I'm not sure about this stuff.
If the transfer player command gets messed up, we can simply reconfigure the routes or rename the maps to satisfy them, yeah? Unless there's a whole load of Transfer players, who knows.

If you make the maps first and she does the events, then...
Move the Tilesets.rxdata over, and then move the appropriate Maps + MapsInfo, yeah?

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Blizzard

November 17, 2009, 10:50:13 am #7 Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:53:06 am by Blizzard
MapInfos.rxdata + new MapXXX.rxdata would be a good idea. Person A does the mapping and always sends NEW MapXXX.rxdata with the MapInfos.rxdata while the person B works on all maps. Person A should never send a MapXXX.rxdata that was already sent or it could overwrite the event setup of person B. This could work out of you're careful.

Person B should do map bug fixes then. Tilesets.rxdata is needed for tileset passability setup and person B would need to close RMXP before overwriting the new files. Also, person B shouldn't add new maps or delete maps or even change their order in the map editor.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Alunasa

Thanks again everyone.  I'm going to talk to her tonight and see if we can get it to work.  And yeah, my eyes glazed a few times in the course of reading these posts.  lol.  I kind of feel like a super noob now.  ;)

I guess that's what we get for not finding a third person.. we're both writers.  I'm just better at maps and she is pretty good at eventing and cut scenes.  The game is really funny though...  and somewhere along the way, a comic book character who is notorious for breaking the fourth wall ended up being our narrator.  ;)  Once that happened, he whined until we changed color of the narration text to yellow.

Fantasist

QuoteAlso, person B shouldn't add new maps or delete maps or even change their order in the map editor.

Is there NO way to get around that? If B makes a new map, couldn't it just be transferred to A as a new map in the highest hierarchy? Oh wait, that's what messes up events with map IDs involved... i guess there's no proper way to completely automate it without the users sticking to some rules.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Blizzard

No. The files are loaded into the memory. If you replace them on the disk, nothing happens. If you save after they have been replaced, they will be overwritten by RMXP again.

Starrodkirby86

Uh...quick question...Why would Person B even make new maps if she is entirely responsible for the creation of events? You can't really create events unless you have maps, and if your project is dependent on the collaboration of a mapper and an eventer (That whole shindig), then you would definitely need to stick with your own job completely, unless consent was given. oxo

...I probably did not make any sense. <3!~

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

G_G

Blizzard

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on November 17, 2009, 11:00:34 pm
Uh...quick question...Why would Person B even make new maps if she is entirely responsible for the creation of events? You can't really create events unless you have maps, and if your project is dependent on the collaboration of a mapper and an eventer (That whole shindig), then you would definitely need to stick with your own job completely, unless consent was given. oxo

...I probably did not make any sense. <3!~

Just making sure that person B isn't allowed to make any maps or it will be messed up.

Fantasist

November 19, 2009, 08:35:15 am #14 Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:45:09 am by Fantasist
Quote from: Fantasist on November 17, 2009, 01:39:21 pm
QuoteAlso, person B shouldn't add new maps or delete maps or even change their order in the map editor.

Is there NO way to get around that? If B makes a new map, couldn't it just be transferred to A as a new map in the highest hierarchy? Oh wait, that's what messes up events with map IDs involved... i guess there's no proper way to completely automate it without the users sticking to some rules.

Oh, you meant we can't do what with RMXP open. I thought both A and B had to retain the same hierarchy to prevent transfer events to go haywire, I didn't think anything about RMXP being open. So all the new maps are just added to the target list at their highest level. Nice. Maybe even Tilesets.rxdata can be appended.

Blizzard

No, I meant that you need to close the application RPGXP.exe. xD

Fantasist

I know!! >.< I always knew. What I understood in the beginning was something different, but your last post made sense to me. Sorry for the confusion :shy: