Why am I the only freshman in geo1?

Started by Tazero, November 18, 2009, 06:55:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tazero

Does this mean I'm like super smart or somethin? everyone else are juniors.

And I just wanna be sure is this correct?

Area of a trapezoid is B + B2
                                  ------------(h)

If you were a fish...

Starrodkirby86

Yeah, that should be the area of a Trapezoid. The bottom of the trapezoid plus the top part of the trapezoid divided by two.

You're probably one of the smarter kids in your area. I myself think intelligence is rather relative and subjective or something...But whatever. It also kind of depends on the area and their education, you know?

Anyway, yeah. You're smarter than the people around you. If you were in my school you would be on the normal route of math courses. I took Geometry in 8th Grade, but that shouldn't concern you; a lot of my friends who are smart took Geometry in their Freshmen year as well.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Aqua

November 18, 2009, 07:09:24 pm #2 Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 07:11:27 pm by Aqua
O.o
It really all depends on how your school (district) does math...

In my school, Geometry was only for Freshman who took Alg 1 in middle school and passed a placement test and for Sophomores who didn't do one of those two.

I'm in Calc AB AP right now...

And yes, that's correct...
That is... if by those Bs, you mean Base One and Base Two... not Base Squared... XD

Edit:
See perfect example.
Star and My Courses Compared: The Smart People Course (of our schools)
Geometry           Star - 8th      Aqua - 9th
Algerbra II           Star - 9th      Aqua - 10th
Trigonometry           Star - 10th      Aqua - 10th
Calculus           Star - ?     Aqua - 11th

Diokatsu

I took Geo Freshman year as well. In all honesty, you must not have a very strong math program unless your Math department does Alg I, Alg II and then Geo like some people do in which case you're at about Star's level.

winkio

I did:
8th: Geo
9th: Algebra II / Trig (One class)
10th: Pre-Calc
11th: Calc BC (Calc I + Calc II)
12th: Differential Equations and a bit of Calc III.

My school's standard route was:
9th: Algebra I
10th: Geometry
11th: Algebra II
12th: Discrete Math (Useful math in day to day life)

Yeah, you are smart.  That's all that your advanced math class says.  It doesn't say how smart you actually are, how hard you work, or how good you are at solving problems.  So, feel good about it, but don't feel TOO good about it.  It's not really anything to flaunt.

fugibo

Because people are inherently stupid, and those who actually understand math are genetic freaks. Hence why you're the only Freshman.

Also, it's better to memorize it as (h/2)(b1 + b2), since that's also the formula for the sum of an arithmetic series (which is what a trapezoid is; technically, so is a triangle, but one of the bases is 0 so it's just (1/2)(bh)).

legacyblade

^ not to burst LF's bubble, but I'm normal genetic wise, and I understand math.

Anyways, I think it's because a lot of freshmen are lazy or don't like math (generally due to the fact that either they, society, or their friends have convinced them its too hard. From my experience anyways) So cudos at getting it done early :D

G_G

I like math and everything I'm just not plain good at it..well I'm decent enough to pass my math classes but not good enough to get done with algebra 1 in middle school and do geometry as a freshman.

I myself actually enjoy doing math and wish I was better at it. However my friends hate it and would rather serve detention then have to attend math class...

Tazero

I hate math...but I'm good at it...*sigh*

And districts math is supposed to be above average... I'm actually ahead in all my classes...The teachers tell me to stop answering the questions (oral) and share the wealth x_x;

If you were a fish...

fugibo

Quote from: Tazero on November 21, 2009, 04:07:58 pm

And districts math is supposed to be above average... I'm actually ahead in all my classes...The teachers tell me to stop answering the questions (oral) and share the wealth x_x;

Wait... do you mean "discrete?" If not, what the crap is "districts?"

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Ryex

he forgot an apostrophe it say "district's"
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Starrodkirby86

Your teacher wants you to be a communist. That's good. :B

I don't mind math, as long as I'm doing well on it with understanding. I do participate in competitions pertaining to some mathematics. (This year, it's Academic Decathlon~)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

fugibo

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on November 22, 2009, 03:04:42 am

Your teacher wants you to be a communist. That's good. :B

I don't mind math, as long as I'm doing well on it with understanding. I do participate in competitions pertaining to some mathematics. (This year, it's Academic Decathlon~)

Quick, name the relative maxima of f(x) = x^3 + 2x^2 + 3! (That was an actual problem at an NAQT quiz bowl, and the contestants had 10 seconds. I was working it as fast as I could, and I still was 5 seconds away from finishing it)

Starrodkirby86

...That reminded me of a Math Competition back in Cupertino, California. There was a quick shot round, and one of the questions involved a long wall-of-text word problem. The announcer didn't even finish the question and someone answered correctly. ._.; At least all the finalists were stumped on a question about calendars...o_o

fugibo

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on November 22, 2009, 12:54:15 pm
...That reminded me of a Math Competition back in Cupertino, California. There was a quick shot round, and one of the questions involved a long wall-of-text word problem. The announcer didn't even finish the question and someone answered correctly. ._.; At least all the finalists were stumped on a question about calendars...o_o

I always powered through the math questions, except for the probability ones. I hate those.

Blizzard

Just probability or combinatorics in general?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on November 22, 2009, 03:40:09 pm
Just probability or combinatorics in general?

Just probability, like "If I roll three fair, six-sided dice, what is the chance that all three are the same number?" I said 1/216, but since the first one doesn't matter it was just 1/36. Blech.

Blizzard

November 22, 2009, 04:12:03 pm #18 Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:18:31 pm by Blizzard
Actually it has to do a lot with combinatorics. There are 6 out of 216 possible combinations that match the criteria which means that the probability is 6/216 which is 1/36.

EDIT: And this is still the easy stuff. When you get to conditional probability, probability density functions (not sure if that is the correct English term for it), probability distributions and statistical methods, prepare to be mindfucked squared. #_#
That reminds me: I hate probability and statistics, too. #_#
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tatasz

Quote from: Blizzard on November 22, 2009, 04:12:03 pm
Actually it has to do a lot with combinatorics. There are 6 out of 216 possible combinations that match the criteria which means that the probability is 6/216 which is 1/36.

EDIT: And this is still the easy stuff. When you get to conditional probability, probability density functions (not sure if that is the correct English term for it), probability distributions and statistical methods, prepare to be mindfucked squared. #_#
That reminds me: I hate probability and statistics, too. #_#

You forgot about the convergence of random variables, the most evil of all the probabiliy related stuff.
Anyway, pure math is worse than statistics.