Relativity

Started by winkio, November 18, 2009, 08:26:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aqua

Ah we talked briefly about that in Chemistry last year.

The way that we'd observe an electron's path is by using an election to locate the election we want by having them collide to see where they are... Of course... this would only change the path of the elections, therefore messing up the observation.

Diokatsu

Quote from: Aqua on November 19, 2009, 07:20:19 pm
Ah we talked briefly about that in Chemistry last year.

The way that we'd observe an electron's path is by using an election to locate the election we want by having them collide to see where they are... Of course... this would only change the path of the elections, therefore messing up the observation.

Irony. The only way to observe the electron's path is to change it. Paradoxical as well.

winkio

So I just read this Feynman lecture about curved space.  Crazy cool stuff.  A straight line in 3d space is actually a parabola.  Gravity distorts time and all.  Anybody else know enough about this to discuss?

Blizzard

I do. I just love the concept of displaying an X dimensional space with and X - Y dimensional space where X > Y and Y > 0 and then folding that X dimensional space via the X+1'th dimension to bring two points in the X dimensional space at the same location in the X+1'th dimensiona space. It makes perfect sense and it applicable to any number of dimensions.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

no, not that kind of curve.  The kind of curve where a sphere is a curved 2D surface which has different geometric properties that that of a plane.  For example, on a sphere, you can make a triangle with 3 90 degree angles.  That kind of curved space.

Blizzard

But isn't that done over the overlying dimension?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

November 27, 2009, 11:41:13 pm #26 Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:00:05 am by winkio
Yes, but what is the 4th dimension of space?  It's impossible to imagine.

Also there is no folding, just curves.

Blizzard

The 4th dimension isn't space, it's time.

Alight, no folding. xD

fugibo

winkio

No, there is a fourth dimension of space.  I'm serious.  meters^4.  That's what I'm talking about.  And that is what space is curved in.  The curve does affect time though.

Blizzard

But dimensions are independent on representation. It's just a matter of perspective. We perceive the 4th dimension as time and that's that. We can just say it's another space dimension and just work with that, it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Hypercube. <3

winkio

No, this is not a perspective, this is Einstein's Theory of Gravitation, which obviously, none of us have heard about until I just read this lecture on wednsday.  There's no way I'm going to be able to explain it, because you need some background in relativity, and because I don't fully understand it.

legacyblade

You're misunderstanding Blizz. The fourth dimension IS time. Time was previously thought of something independent of space. (events occurred in space at a specific time) However, Einstein said that rather than our current understanding of space as three dimensional (x,y,z,), it was in fact four dimensional (x,y,z,t) using time as the fourth dimension. Now if I understood what I read in his works correctly, the first three dimensions (x,y,z) are curving into the fourth dimension (t, or time). I've read Einstein's actual work, and me and my tutor talked about it for hours, so yes, Blizz and I are both correct in saying time is the fourth dimension. Einstein said so multiple times, and if you read his mathematical equations, it uses time as the fourth dimension.

winkio

I'm not talking about THE fourth dimension.  That is the list of observable dimensions.  I'm talking about space's 4th dimension, which is not time.  None of Einstein's relativity equations use time as the 4th dimension of space.  You can not multiply two areas and get seconds.

Time is related to space, not directly by being the fourth dimension of space, but by being its own dimension dependent on space.  Einsteins Relativity equations define this relation.  The curve of 3D space influences time causing time to curve, but space does not curve into time, it curves with it.

Space-time, combining the two related factors, is expressed in terms of x, y, z, and t, but space-time still curves into the next dimension.

Blizzard

Seconds and meters are just measurement units we use. You can say meters * meters * meters * meters or meters * meters * meters * seconds.

Of course space curves into time. If you take freeze the time flow and use 3 vertexes to make a triangle where you put one vertex in one frame of time while the other vertexes are in another frame of time, you have a hyper triangle curved through a fourth dimension (time). You can do absolutely the same thing if you say the 4th dimension is space and displace the vertex using it, you get curved the edges and a hyper triangle as well. I'm generalizing the concept of dimension here. It doesn't matter how you call dimension a 4th dimension.
I'm not saying that space and time are the same, I'm saying that using space and time as dimensions is the same.

winkio

Yes Blizz, you can define space-time as a four dimensional entity, but that does nothing to explain the curving that we observe.  Whether you isolate space or look at space-time, both things still curve into a higher dimension, which is neither space nor time.

Blizzard

Alright, now we're on the same wavelength. :)

legacyblade

OH, so that's what you mean. I've heard of that, but it was always rather confusing to me. Have we yet discovered what this extra dimension is? I know that large objects bend space time (thus creating gravity), but I've heard only a small amount of this extra dimension (so little that I'd forgotten about it till I heard Winkio's explanation as to what he was talking about). Anyone have more information about it? (at this second I feel too lazy to google "relativity" or "fourth dimension" until I find one that speaks on this subject)

winkio

Yes, so the lecture I read was from the Feynman lectures on Physics, Vol II Chapter 42.  I couldn't find it on google on a preliminary search, so I'm going to scan it and upload it soon.  It's quite an interesting read.

Blizzard

I might take a look at it. Me and my roommate were discussing higher dimensions recently. Stuff like the 5th dimension being alternate timelines, the 6th being alternate parallel universes etc.