[RMXP] Star Quest (Shooting Game)

Started by Zylos, November 20, 2009, 04:52:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zylos

Foxfire Productions Presents

SO! Some of you from RMRK might remember when I tried this game idea out last year with VX. This here is a first person type of arcade shooting game, controlling the crosshairs on the screen with the arrow's and pressing enter to fire. It was a success last time I created it in VX, and I wanted to see if I could do it again from scratch in XP, admittedly to show off what I can do for the RMRK Awards. I intended to make this for a Game In A Week back at the beginning of October, but alas, school and general life drama did not play fairly, and I didn't have nearly enough time to complete a suitable demo. But with a bit of added time, I was able to play and experiment in my spare time until I was satisfied. The result is a completely revamped system made almost entirely with events. The only scripts used is a custom title screen and ccoa's UMS. Everything else that you see is all done with events and graphics.

This is just a demo, and the game itself will be slow coming due to other obligations such as Requiem of the Broken Soul, but make no mistake that I intend to finish this game too. The story reminds me a bit of a combination of the Veldt and Phantasy Star. :3

STORY

Spoiler: ShowHide
The world of Vigrid was once a humble planet with simple people of all races. They had no television or computers, their form of entertainment was either the books or to pull out a ball and announce that a game was to begin. They had no government or leaders, each community was responsible for themselves and often wove a deep thread of friendship between each person in the area. They had no money or taxes, no organized financial means, they worked only in trade, giving what they worked hard to make in exchange for what they sought to own. It was an entire planet full of simple village life, and the world remained calm and happy.

Until one day, it came crashing down onto the planet.

It was a spaceship, something that the people of Vigrid had never seen before even in their wildest dreams. The alien crew had all perished in the crash, but every piece of equipment and electronic that they brought with them remained intact. The curious people of Vigrid began to take apart and study these mysterious contraptions, and had unknowingly planted the seed that would grow into a terrifying new world.

Now, 300 years later, the planet has been completely reshaped into a modern new era of machines and civilization, the name of science and progress leading the land to new heights. Cities can be seen far and wide, democracy stepping forward into the role of leadership for the people. Cars fill the streets below and ships fill the scare, robotic units everywhere in between. It seemed to be a paradise filled with technology, but as the people filled their lives with the complexities of the machines, they gave way to shadows and darkness.

A terrorist group known as the Jotuns begin to violently make war upon the land, acting as deadly pirates in the skies and even going as far as to attempt to lay siege to cities. No one knows why, for they have made no demands of the people other than deaths. The Vigrid Air Force has been called upon to stop this menace once and for all, and you, as one of the top fighter pilots, are being called to duty.

Choose one of two characters to play out a side to this action roller coaster. Play as Angelo, the lone survivor of one of the Jotuns biggest bombings, or play as Maria, the tomboy daughter of the Capital City's former governor. Combine both together and perhaps you will see just how deep mystery behind the Jotuns gets.

SCREENSHOTS

GAME NOTES

A simple look at the screenshots below will tell you this is no ordinary XP game. This is a kind first person shooter like what you would see at an arcade or something. I suck at mapping, and had been dying to do something with just images rather than small pixel sprites. No maps to walk around with, no aggravatingly difficult sprites to make, just pre-rendered cutscenes for story mode and an open field to shoot ships in for mission mode. And before you ask, yes, most of the character's are anthro. It shows the world better as a fantasy world rather than just a futuristic world.

The concept is pretty simple. Aim your crosshairs and shoot at the enemy ships until they go down. Each laser shot costs 4% of your maximum energy as is shown in the bottom right hand corner. Every now and then your allies will send you some supplies in the form of a random balloon. Green balloons repair damages to your ship and raise your Photon-Armor by one, while blue balloons restore your Energy Pack to 100% maximum capacity. Red balloons, though exceedingly rare, will give you a random temporary weapon upgrade.

If you're out of energy in the heat of battle, you're screwed. There's only two ways to get your energy back in time to save yourself. One, you could shoot down a blue balloon pickup and get a whopping 100% energy back, but balloons won't always come when you need them. The other way to get your energy back is by activating your Power Booster and charging it up manually. Just by holding down the button, the energy will come by in increments of 8% per second, but you cannot do anything while your finger is on that button, so use it carefully!

You can't just shoot at someone and expect to get away with it, the enemy forces are going to be firing back with all of their might. The warning signal in the top right hand corner will alert you when the enemy is attacking, and the ship will usually start to glow red just before they fire at you. You have three Photon-Armor energy units (which act as your health meter), so if you lose all three and get attacked, it's game over. There's only two ways to avoid being hit once you're locked onto: One, you can destroy the ship before they can pull off their attack, and two, you can raise your Photon-Shield up in time to defend yourself. Your Photon-Shield is an outer shield you can pull up in a moment's notice to block almost any type of attack save for crashing into a mountain. It costs 4% of your maximum energy to put up, and will be your greatest asset right next to your trusty cannon.Whether to deploy a better offense or defense is up to you.

You can download the demo here: http://rmrk.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35654.0;attach=18459

The demo goes up through the opening tutorial of Angelo's side only; Maria is not yet playable (as you may notice when nothing happens when you select her in the character selection screen). The game may lag on really slower computers, so if you have any issues feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do. Otherwise, just enjoy the game, and remember me if you plan to go vote in the RMRK Awards. [/shameless plug]

Aqua

G_G

Zylos

Thankies, I hope you enjoy it. Its just a small demo, but I tried to make it as entertaining as possible. ^^

Fantasist

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Zylos

Ryex

*level up*
this is really good and If I'm right it is just an even system pretty cool.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zylos

Thanks. :3

Yup, its just events. Save for the titles screen and well-known UMS, of course.