Pop-up choice window?

Started by happyman, November 21, 2009, 03:45:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

I have a lot of instances in my game where the player is given choices.
I was wondering if I could script a choice window that pops-up separately from the other text window?

Also, can there be more than four choices?  Often times, I have to use "more choices" as the 4th choice, which branches off to other choices, and I hate it.  If too many choices appear onscreen, can the choices scroll up to reveal more?

I've searched, but couldn't find a script for this.  If one is made, are there easy instructions to fully manipulate it?

Hellfire Dragon

I was searching for something to allow more than 4 choices too, see here, but couldn't come up with anything on it's own :<_<: The only thing I know of that allows more than 4 choices is ccoa's UMS but the choice window looks dumb and it sometimes scrolls off screen if you use more than 9, I think it was 9 anyway :O.o:
That's the only thing I could find anyway.

happyman

I need a choice window that allows at least 15 options.
Currently, I have 3 choices with a "more choices" option as the fourth, with choices upon choices!  It sucks and is very tedious.

I would try cocoa's UMS, but I already have an Advanced Message Script that I like.

And I really want pop up windows.  If I can't have more choices, I at least want pop up windows! :(

happyman

BUMP.

It's been a year or more since I searched for this, but I'm back and I would like to know if this is possible.  Anybody?

happyman

I don't think I need a system script for this.  I would need to be able to script within an event.
That way I can specify how big the window should be and where, and I can create how many choices the player gets.

WhiteRose

Please don't double post. Adding more choices would not be possible with eventing. You've already mentioned that you don't want to try Ccoa's UMS, but it would allow you to use both of the features for which you are asking (namely, pop-up windows and more choices.) I use it in all of my games and think it is fantastic. Maybe you should give it a try.

Sacred Nym

Ccoa's UMS isn't even available anymore last I checked.
Quote昨日の自分に「さようなら」
Say "Goodbye" to who you were yesterday.

happyman

June 24, 2010, 05:40:39 pm #7 Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:43:50 pm by happyman
Ugh, sorry for the double post.  I didn't think that through  :P

I'll give ccoa's UMS a try, but since I'm already using a message script in my game, I've already implemented lots of text commands into the messages.  If I switch to ccoa's, I'll have to redo all of the text.  But I guess it's unavoidable.  Thanks for the help!

I downloaded ccoa's UMS a long time ago.  I might still have it.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Sacred Nym on June 24, 2010, 05:03:45 pm
Ccoa's UMS isn't even available anymore last I checked.

Here's the UMS, version 1.6.3.
(I'm not sure what license is, but I'm fairly sure it's legal to distribute. If not, let me know and I'll remove it from this post.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?ytznjmjyjnn

ForeverZer0

I'll write you a quick script for this sometime here, it won't be that complicated. Maybe just use a module for script calls that you can pass the arguments onto that will be the choices, and just use Window_Command to create a window real quick.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

happyman

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on July 24, 2010, 10:32:02 pm
I'll write you a quick script for this sometime here, it won't be that complicated. Maybe just use a module for script calls that you can pass the arguments onto that will be the choices, and just use Window_Command to create a window real quick.

This sounds great.  I've been trying the UMS, but it's giving me some issues.
It works fine with the multiple choices, but it's messing up other stuff like input numbers and opacity changes.