Please Help!

Started by jcsnider, November 28, 2009, 10:04:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcsnider

This is random but I can't find any solution to this problem maybe you all can help me.

Situation: My Grandma copies all of her pictures to a CD-R every few months, and then deletes them from her computer.... Lately, she tried to copy some files from the cd back to her computer, accidently hitting move instead of copy she cancled the move as soon as she had realized what she had done. Now, all the pictures are gone.  I am trying to recover these pictures but I do not know what to do... This is a normal Memorex CD-R... Not Re-Writeable...  When put into her or my laptop it shows no files. She has not had any problems with her cd-writer in the past and the disk is crystal clear. (No scratches)

I would just leave it alone but one thing really catches my eye and I am SURE the files are there... although this cd is built to hold 700mb of data... when inserted into my computer... it shows as a blank CD and it says it only has 189mb free out of a TOTAL of 189mb.. the other 500 somethin mb is about the size the pictures took up.

Any Ideas  :???:

legacyblade

I'm not quite sure how to fix the problem, but it might help to tell everyone what operating system your grandma is using.

Ryex

November 29, 2009, 02:10:31 am #2 Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:09:24 pm by Ryexander
I'm afraid that with out a file recovery program you will never  be able to recover the files. and I'm not sure it will work even then

in older computers you couldn't delete files form a CD-R, but with more modern systems you can. the catch is, when you format a CD-R disk it dose not write over the old files instead it declares the written to space as non existent and lets you write to the remainder of the CD.

when the computer used a move command it tried to delete the files form the CD but upon discovering that it was a CD-R it declared the space as nonexistent.

I suggest finding a program for recovering deleted files.
if that dose not work then your out of options short of finding a professional in the feild or data recovery.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

CD drive problems. Older CD-R and CD-RW drives have problems reading some disks. It's probably due to the laser getting dirty and material corrosion. Just try on another CD drive until you find one that works. Then best make a copy of the CD. BTW, CD's and DVD's are very overrated. The claims of them being able to hold out a century is complete bullshit. If a CD works after 2 years, you can consider yourself happy.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

jcsnider

November 29, 2009, 08:42:30 am #4 Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:42:18 am by jcsnider
@Legacyblade If you still need to know, it is Windows Xp Home Edition...

@Ryex What you said sounds correct I will go look for a program....

@Blizz The Drive has not had problems in the past and it can read and write fine, it is just this one CD XD

Edit: I was able to recover the files using a program called ISoBuster. Thanks for the help you all!

Blizzard

When it happens, it can happen on just one CD first. Later another one starts. And before you know it (it takes time, don't worry), every second CD doesn't work. D:

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Just for the record, we have some backup CDs that were created about 12-13 years ago. They still work perfectly. So if you take care of the CDs (keep them out of direct sunlight, make sure they don't get scratched, etc), they can last a LOOONG time. However, I prefer just to get some backup hard drives. Much less irritating to use.

Blizzard

Good CDs I guess. There are exceptions to the rule. Especially if you take proper care of the CDs.