Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot 2 - The Wrath of Blizzard

Started by Blizzard, November 29, 2009, 05:00:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

November 29, 2009, 05:00:06 pm Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:01:28 pm by Blizzard
This is brainstorming for now.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote[22:39] <@Blizzard> oh gax
[22:39] <@Blizzard> you're right on time
[22:39] <@Blizzard> for the trailer of CoSLAL 2
[22:39] * @GuardianAngelX72 is confused.
[22:39] <@Aqua> sure
[22:39] <@GuardianAngelX72> O_O
[22:39] <@Blizzard> *trailer music*
[22:39] <@Blizzard> He defeated great evil...
[22:39] <@Blizzard> But now...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> He has to fear for his own life...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Because he pissed "him" off...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> And "he" is no other than the creator...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot 2 - The Wrath of Blizzard
[22:40] <@Blizzard> *loads of cool images*
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Arshes: But Lag-A-Lot! You can't defeat him! He made you!
[22:40] <@Aqua> :O
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: Ok, that just sounded so wrong.
[22:40] <@Blizzard> *more cool images*
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: I have to reveal something to you...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: More stuff?
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: I am your... GRANDFATHER!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: Search your pockets! You know it's true!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: No! It can't... Wait what? Did you just say pockets?
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: Just do it for god's sake!
[22:41] <@Blizzard> *another set of cool images*
[22:41] <@Blizzard> Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot 2 - The Wrath of Blizzard
[22:41] <@Blizzard> coming soon
[22:41] <@Aqua> :O
[22:41] <@Blizzard> NAMK's comment
[22:41] <@Blizzard> BLIZZABS HAS EVEN MORE FEATURES THAN YOU COULD HAVE EVER DREAMED
[22:41] <@Blizzard> [22:18] <@NAMKCOR> Blizzard: NOW WATCH AS I DESTROY YOU WITH THE POWER OF THE WORLD YOU LIVE IN
[22:42] <@Blizzard> xD
[22:42] <@Blizzard> but seriously
[22:42] <@Blizzard> I'm going to make a trailer for CP when RC is released >:333
[22:43] <@GuardianAngelX72> that last line reminded me of the last day of MXO
[22:43] <@Blizzard> lol
[22:43] <@GuardianAngelX72> on the last day of MXO, when the servers went down, everyone's character spazzed out and was crushed into a torso
[22:43] <@GuardianAngelX72> such a shame, that game was beautiful...the gameplay sucked balls but the environment was just so damn pretty
[22:43] <@NAMKCOR> Lag-a-Lot: NOOO HOMING MISSILES?!
[22:43] <@NAMKCOR> Blizzard: MUAHAHAHAHAHA
[22:44] <@Blizzard> "In order to defeat his creator, Lag-A-Lot will have to master Lord Lagmore..."
[22:44] <@Blizzard> lol
[22:44] <@Blizzard> LMAO
[22:44] <@NAMKCOR> Blizzard: YOU SHOULD READ THE MANUAL MORE LAG-A-LOT
[22:44] <@Blizzard> ROFLMAO
[22:44] <@Blizzard> if I'm going to make this game
[22:44] <@Blizzard> I'm so going to add this
[22:45] <@Aqua> meh...
[22:45] <@Aqua> I'm too lazy to switch to a different monitor
[22:45] <@Blizzard> OMG
[22:45] <@Aqua> that is like... 20 steps away
[22:45] <@Blizzard> I have an actual plot now
[22:45] <@Aqua> because I have to carry it here .____.
[22:45] <@Blizzard> so
[22:45] <@Aqua> and then unplug this one... and then plug that one...
[22:45] <@Aqua> @.@
[22:45] <@Blizzard> to defeat Blizzard Lag-A-Lot has to master a Chaos Drive
[22:45] <@GuardianAngelX72> lolz
[22:46] <@Blizzard> and that Chaos Drive is Lord Lagmore
[22:46] <@Blizzard> then
[22:46] <@Blizzard> in the fight against Blizzard
[22:46] <@Blizzard> LAL transforms into Lagmore
[22:46] <@Blizzard> and Blizzard is like
[22:46] <@Blizzard> WAIT A MINUTE! THAT ISN'T IN THE MANUAL!
[22:46] <@GuardianAngelX72> have him fight against GAX or Rune to learn what a Chaos Drive is, have him insult the person he's fighting over how long it is taking for me to make CF xD
[22:46] <@Blizzard> HOW CAN YOU TRANSFORM?!?!?!
[22:47] <@GuardianAngelX72> "ADDONS MOTHER FUCKER!"
[22:47] <@Blizzard> omg, this is going to be hilarious
[22:47] <@Aqua> O.o
[22:47] <@Blizzard> how about we make it a small community project
[22:47] <@Blizzard> 2 hours max
[22:47] <@Blizzard> forl
[22:47] <@Blizzard> FORL*
[22:47] <@Aqua> lol forl XD
[22:48] <@Blizzard> I'll get working on this after CP is out
[22:48] <@Blizzard> if I decide to make it
[22:48] <@Blizzard> in fact
[22:49] <@Blizzard> LAL has to fight the 4 M.O.D.S
[22:49] <@GuardianAngelX72> lol, if Blizzy organizes the community project, then it'll pull through
[22:49] <@GuardianAngelX72> rather than the CP Collab of FAIL
[22:49] <@Blizzard> Aqua, GAX, Kirby and NAM
[22:49] <@GuardianAngelX72> fucking writer just had to get herself banned
[22:49] <@Blizzard> and it will be rather small
[22:49] <@Blizzard> so there's no big risk of it going to waste
[22:49] <@Blizzard> since it can always being finished by just one person
[22:49] <@Blizzard> in this case me
[22:49] <@Blizzard> xD
[22:50] <@Aqua> Eep
[22:50] <@Aqua> I have to fight an old man?
[22:50] <@Blizzard> well
[22:50] <@Blizzard> depends
[22:50] <@Blizzard> in any case
[22:50] <@Aqua> What if he uses special move: Pedobear!!!
[22:50] <@Aqua> D:
[22:50] <@Blizzard> from each of them he gets something
[22:50] <@GuardianAngelX72> lol, that coming from the girl who got blizzy preggo
[22:50] <@Aqua> pffft
[22:50] <@Blizzard> GAX gives him the Chaos Drive
[22:50] <@Blizzard> from Aqua he should learn a cool skill
[22:51] <@Blizzard> probably one that Aqua suggested that I make
[22:51] <@Blizzard> and lol, gax
[22:51] <@Aqua> what? O.o
[22:51] <@Aqua> The Magic of Yaoi? :o
[22:51] <@NAMKCOR> lol
[22:51] <@NAMKCOR> nice
[22:51] <@Blizzard> FORL
[22:51] <@NAMKCOR> he could learn it from Jason and Rivy
[22:51] <@Blizzard> FORL*
[22:51] <@Blizzard> like
[22:51] <@NAMKCOR> they could be like
[22:51] <@NAMKCOR> "lag a lot"
[22:51] <@Blizzard> Yin Yang Yaoi
[22:51] <@Blizzard> xD
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> "want to learn something new?"
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> "*wink*"
[22:52] <@Blizzard> FORL
[22:52] <@Aqua> Lol
[22:52] <@GuardianAngelX72> Hmmm...idea
[22:52] <@GuardianAngelX72> cna we have filter words on the forum?
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> "we'll show you things you've never seen before"
[22:52] <@Blizzard> sure
[22:52] <@GuardianAngelX72> make it so if someone says FORL it says FORL
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> Lag-a-lot: YOU MEAN IT'LL HELP ME DEFEAT BLIZZARD?!
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> Jason: ....maybe
[22:52] <@Blizzard> LMAO
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> Rivy: actually I just find you attractive
[22:52] <@NAMKCOR> Rivy: no guarantees about Blizzard or anything

Basically it starts where CoSLAL 1 ended. Lag-A-Lot simply doesn't shut up and Blizzard gets pissed. He enters Lag-A-Lot's world and tries to kill him. Lag-A-Lot escapes and now has to find a way to defeat Blizzard.

This is supposed to be a community project. As I already said in the chat log, probably 2 hours long, nothing special. I'd need somebody to make a proper project topic on this. Then we can discuss some details. For now I'm not going to maintain a list of people who are in since I can't really work on it until February anyway.

Here's the "trailer" again.

Quote[22:39] <@Blizzard> *trailer music*
[22:39] <@Blizzard> He defeated great evil...
[22:39] <@Blizzard> But now...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> He has to fear for his own life...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Because he pissed "him" off...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> And "he" is no other than the creator...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot 2 - The Wrath of Blizzard
[22:40] <@Blizzard> *loads of cool images*
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Arshes: But Lag-A-Lot! You can't defeat him! He made you!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: Ok, that just sounded so wrong.
[22:40] <@Blizzard> *more cool images*
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: I have to reveal something to you...
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: More stuff?
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: I am your... GRANDFATHER!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: Search your pockets! You know it's true!
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Lag-A-Lot: No! It can't... Wait what? Did you just say pockets?
[22:40] <@Blizzard> Blizzard: Just do it for god's sake!
[22:41] <@Blizzard> *another set of cool images*
[22:41] <@Blizzard> Chronicles of Sir Lag-A-Lot 2 - The Wrath of Blizzard
[22:41] <@Blizzard> coming soon
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

OracleGames

:o .. Will there be pedo-bears or not??
i Would like to halp :)

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

C.C. rOyAl

Maybe you guys can get some of Oracles awesome tilesets  :P

Blizzard

Nah, I was actually suggesting to stick to RTP style and maybe some nice extensions on the tilesets.

C.C. rOyAl

Thats fine too, are you ever going to make those RTP Blizz-ABS sprites?

legacyblade

OracleGames

They dont have to be Ripped maps.. you could draw your maps in ms-paint or something and i convert them :D
Whit Ms-paint enemies and Heroes   :P

RoseSkye

Blizzard

December 11, 2009, 12:11:07 pm #9 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:13:14 pm by Blizzard
Story outline:

CoSLAL 2 starts off exactly when CoSLAL 1 ended. While Blizzard is trying to say his last words regarding the game, Sir Lag-A-Lot mocks him for the end of the game being lame. This pisses Blizzard pretty much off and he decides to enter his game world at the price for losing his god-like powers (but still being powerful enough) to destroy Sir Lag-A-Lot. At the moment where Blizzard enters the world a paradox happens (the creator is now part of his creation) and (luckily nothing more than) a space shift occurs which brings Blizzard and Lag-A-Lot into a forest. While Lag-A-Lot is still confused what's this about, Blizzard attacks Lag-A-Lot. Lag-A-Lot is, of course, no match for Blizzard and runs away. While running through the forest, he ends up on a cliff cornered by Blizzard. His only chance not to end up in Blizzard's grasp is to jump which he does. His falls down is slowed down by branches and trees and Lag-A-Lot survives with no serious injuries.

Lag-A-Lot continues his way and tries to find a way out of the forest to find out where he actually is. Very soon he meets up Arshes who has also been transported during the space shift and explains Lag-A-Lot that they are in a land beyond to "A.B.S." The so-called A.B.S. is a grand area which includes the Leet Kingdoom and a few other kingdoms. Lag-A-Lot explains his situation to Arshes and together they figure out that there must be a way to defeat Blizzard. There are so-called M.O.D.s who posses the power beyond the A.B.S. and only if Lag-A-Lot can obtain those powers, he might be able to defeat Blizzard.

Lag-A-Lot travels to the Lost City, to the Salt Beach, to the Flaming Volcano, to the Mirror Cave and returns to the Outer Forest to defeat Blizzard. During the battle Lag-A-Lot uses the Reflect spell to counteract one of Blizzard's attacks which ends up tearing a rift into the Space Shift Dimension where he and Blizzard get sucked in. His only chance is to defeat Blizzard here since this is the space where Blizzard is actually vulnerable.

The maps that need to be made include:

1. Outer Forest - Forest tileset, 20 maps rather small sized and linear maps, no mazes
2. Lost City - modded Ruin tileset with desert pieces, 15-20 wide open maps, location where Lag-A-Lot encounters the M.O.D. Namk and obtains the ability to change his class which allows him to learn powerful skills
3. Salt Beach - modded Beach tileset, 15-20 open maps, location where Lag-A-Lot encounters the M.O.D. Kirby and obtains a few powerful skills
4. Flaming Volcano - Volcano tileset, 15-20 mazey closed maps, location where Lag-A-Lot encounters the M.O.D. Gax and obtains the Chaos Drive Lagmore
5. Mirror Cave - Ice Cave tileset, Snow Terrain tileset, 20 mazey maps, Lag-A-Lot obtains the Reflection spell from the M.O.D. Aqua that allows him to reflect Blizzards magic attacks and allows him to open a doorway to the Space Shift Dimension
6. Space Shift Dimension - Space tileset, 20 rather linear maps, Lag-A-Lot encounters Blizzard in a different dimension and has to use his earlier obtained power to defeat him for good

element

lol the coming soon storyline looks good !
i'm veary interesting in how blizz's char will look in the game xD

Blizzard

December 11, 2009, 12:16:41 pm #11 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 12:24:13 pm by Blizzard
It'll look exactly like me IRL. I'll make the sprite myself. xD

EDIT: There you go, Rose. You can start mapping 1, 5 and 6. I'll put together a small project with the correct tileset setup for the other maps later. Also, you don't have to stick to the map numbers. Feel free to make more maps.

Aqua

Whee~
I thought I was going to be Salt Beach (because of the water)

But Mirror Cave is awesome :D
Hm...
Think any add-ons are needed? D:

Blizzard

No add-ons specially made for the game are necessary. We'll be using RO Job/Skill System, CLRS, Reflection System and a nice amount of skills/status effects from Tons. Of course we'll use some additional stuff like menu and graphical stuff, etc.

Aqua

D: But I wanna do something...

Character art? (promotional uses maybe? :O [and practice for me XD])
Skill ideas?
Hud layout?
Menu layout?
Other stuff? XD

Blizzard

December 11, 2009, 06:40:27 pm #15 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:42:23 pm by Blizzard
Skill and weapon ideas sound like a good idea. We need funny sounding skills and weapons after all. xD
A CMS would definitely be a cool idea. It should allow the access to the SR scene and the ROsys scenes directly. Hm... We will have Lag-A-Lot and Arshes as characters so you should take that into account if you want to make the CMS.

As for the HUD... Remember the NW HUD? :naughty:

RoseSkye

December 11, 2009, 07:51:26 pm #16 Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:56:40 pm by RoseSkye
http://www.mediafire.com/?i52zgqzdkzm

Right now I'm just playing around with stuff. I could do a traditional forest if you want me to... but that's too easy. =/

(Also when it comes to evented skill add ons for the babs I'm pretty nifty when it comes to making up stuff.

Shadow images
Astral projection)

Blizzard

December 15, 2009, 08:30:29 am #17 Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:34:34 am by Blizzard
I like the looks of it so far. I'll put together a project for you so you can continue mapping. There's just one thing you need to take into account and that is the technical mapping style. I'll redo your map in that style, but you need to continue mapping using that style. If you have any objections, I'll just be blunt about it and say that you have to do it my way because it's my game. :P Feel free to ignore the parts of the quoted post that are specific for Remexos.

Be aware that we just might use this script. :O

Quote from: Blizzard on July 04, 2009, 11:16:54 am
First off, this isn't a thread to teach you how to map. :P The idea here is to use 1 standard type of mapping and no other. If we mix map styles (and mapping styles), the game will be inconsistent and we will have to spend loads of extra time to fix everything.

Tilesets

All tilesets are predetermined and not to be changed. Do not change tilesets. If you want to extend a tileset, this is a separate task and needs to be posted and approved. This goes for editing tileset files as well as any tileset data setup (passability, priority, etc.)

Each tileset has a special tile.

This tile is the main impassable tile on the map. How it is being used is explained further below.

Layers

1. Layer: Floor details ONLY. Do not add ANYTHING OTHER than floor details on this layer. No details, no walls, nothing except floor details.

2. Layer: Walls ONLY. No floor, no details, nothing except walls. Walls include the wall tiles as well as autotiles for the "dark area" outside of the actual map.

3. Layer: Everything else.

Event Layer: Do not use this layer for mapping except if it's the only way. If you have 4 tiles that overlap each other, you may break this mapping rule and move all tiles one layer lower. i.e. You have: 1. floor, 2. wall, 3. window and you want to add a plant. Since the wall tile covers the entire tile, you can put the wall tile on layer 1, the window on layer 2 and the plant on layer 3.

Example: ShowHide

Mapping process and passability

Because passability can cause quite some problems, the mapping should be done in several steps to ensure that there are no bugs. All tiles are initially set to the first tile in the tileset and we have marked it impassable (I will refer to this tile as impassable dummy tile) which means that we have a fully impassable map. This is how you are going to work.

Step 1:
Pick another tile which is also empty. That tile needs to be passable. I will refer to this tile as passable dummy tile.

Step 2:
Put passable and impassable floor tiles on layer 1.

Step 3:
Add walls to the map on layer 2. All walls are usually impassable. Use the bucket tool to fill out the empty areas on layer 2 with the passable dummy tile.

Step 4:
Pick any tile with a graphic. Now fill out all the area in layer 3 that is supposed to be impassable. Now you have 2 different areas. One is the area filled with impassable dummy tiles, the other is filled with the graphic tile.

Example: ShowHide

Pick the passable dummy tile and use it with a bucket tool on the area that is filled with the impassable dummy tile. Now you have defined the area where the player can walk. Next pick the impassable dummy tile and use the bucket tool to fill the graphic tile area with the impassable dummy tile. Now you have defined where the player can't walk.

Step 5:
Add details on layer 3.

Final words

You should stick to this way of mapping to ensure compatibility between all maps and tilesets. Be sure to test your maps. A mapping task includes that you fully set up the passability. If you don't set up the passability, you have not finished the map and your map will not be used in the game!
If you need some more reference, you can read this tutorial which explains this mapping style in a different way.

When you are done with mapping, zip together all MapXXX.rxdata files and the MapInfos.rxdata file from your data folder. You don't need to upload the entire project. Remember that you can upload the zip file as attachment and don't need to use external hosts like sendspace.

RoseSkye

As long as I have fun I don't really care if I have to do it your way.

Blizzard

December 15, 2009, 11:01:57 am #19 Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:03:16 am by Blizzard
Alright, even better. :)

And since it's your map, it might be better if you redo it. If you need an actual example of this mapping style, just refer to CoSLAL.
Here's the project: http://www.sendspace.com/file/9r1pdb

Most tilesets are set up except for Lost City. Do the other stuff until I do that last tileset. Since you're the only mapper right now, you can edit the tilesets a bit if you have to, but don't overdo it. :P

RoseSkye

December 15, 2009, 06:32:37 pm #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 06:43:24 pm by RoseSkye
Note: I couldn't finish the game because I didn't save at all and some of the sprites was missing.
(You can put the pieces together).

So... I'm going to need to speak to you over IM or something because I'm at a lost of what to do in terms of mapping >.>

Blizzard

RoseSkye

I'm starting on the maps... seems like someone (me) didn't talk to someone else (Blizz) when he was on MSN. >.> I'll just trial and error it.

Blizzard

Sorry, I was very busy. ._. I didn't even have time to go get a few drinks with friends yesterday. ;_;

RoseSkye

Quote from: Blizzard on December 22, 2009, 04:12:21 am
Sorry, I was very busy. ._. I didn't even have time to go get a few drinks with friends yesterday. ;_;

What are you talking about? You were online the other day and I didn't talk to you.

Blizzard

If I was, then I was probably having MSN on so I could talk to somebody related to work/college. >.< I'm probably as guilty as you, that's all I'm saying.

Shining Riku

Blizz, this looks HILARIOUS!

Are you still going to work with it though?

Subsonic_Noise

Necropost is a cool guy. Eh post in old topics and, doesn't afraid of anything.

Also, if anyone works on this, it would be winkio, since Blizzard retired. Next time, think a bit before you bump an old topic.

Blizzard

*digs up the dead* How about this game made in ARC Legacy Edition as an example game for ARC Legacy Edition?

element

Would be awesome.

Wow *sees shout box* Lets scroll them pictures away before anyone too young sees em.