[RESOLVED] Bridge script or something?

Started by RPG~NOOB!!!, February 20, 2008, 07:59:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RPG~NOOB!!!

I want to know how to make a bridge that you can walk under if you know how without a script that would be swell but if it does require a script then so be it.

Fantasist

It can be done with events, I'm sure of it. I dont know how, but maybe Nortos, Calints or Susys or any good eventers can help.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

winkio

If you want to make a bridge that you just walk under (you never actually walk on the bridge), just make the bridge a string of events with the tiles you want, and check the "through" and "always on top" boxes.  This works for walking under anything, as long as the tiles below it are passable.

If you want to be able to walk on the bridge, you need to make a new page that depends on a switch for each event, keep the same graphic, but do not check either of the boxes in the first one.  Keep in mind that you bridge will have the passability of whatever tile you use, so make sure your player doesn't fall off.
You can make an event that triggers the switch right before you are about to walk onto the bridge, and turns it off when you walk off.

If anyone needs more explanation, say so and I'll make a demo.

fugibo

0_o this seems to complex for some reason....

nerissya

Quote from: WcW on March 06, 2008, 08:05:20 pm
0_o this seems to complex for some reason....

Actually i felt that it made sense, pretty easy actually..

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Nortos

nerissya

Quote from: Nortos on March 07, 2008, 06:51:28 am
well not everyones as smart as you :P

Im actually kind of stupid... im happy to understand something.. =)

Phasedscar

Actually the way it was discribed with events earlier is the easiest way to do it, it just takes a lot of set up and time. 

If you want to make it quick, make one event first for the bridge, make sure it's got the two pages, the second page with "Always on top" checked, and set it's condition to say "Switch: 001 Bridge = ON".  Thankfully ctrl+c and ctrl+v makes it a fairly short job of the rest, simply copy and past the event for the size of the bridge you wish to use, and then change each graphic to the oppropriate one.

After that make a new event with the "on player touch" activated and have it turn "ON" the switch 001: Bridge and you will now be able to walk under it, make sure to set a 2nd page up with the condiditon for "Switch: 001 Bridge = ON" and make no modification to the 2nd page other than that.  Simply copy and past the event to cover however long the pathway is under the bridge, and you'll now be able to walk under it!

To be able to walk back onto it, make another event. On the first page have "on player touch" checked with the condiditon for "Switch: 001 Bridge = ON."  Make the event turn the Switch: 001 Bridge = OFF.  Place the event in front of the bridge and copy and past it to cover the width of the bridge.

For a visual of what this might look like..
Spoiler: ShowHide

Hope that's helpful to answering what you need done.  The whole setup there took about 3 minutes to make, so it's not really too complicated.  Just be sure to have the right events and switches in the right place or you'll get some odd bugs.
My own game project & My resource workshop! (respectively)
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

What that is? Affection area for flails. - Blizz-ABS, the ultimate ABS

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Phasedscar

Oh, I forgot to mention that if you're using Blizz-ABS to make sure EVERY one of those events has \map typed into it.  Especially if you're using the minimap option it offers.

Also, since the events will be turned to "Always on top" any event that would normally overlap it is going to be below it, so you're a little limited on what you can do, but for the most part it shouldn't cause any graphical problems.
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=608.0 http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=682.0

The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB. The height must not exceed 200 px and the width must not exceed 800 px. Altogether they may take up an area of 160000 px2. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Valcos

I never made a bridge before but why do you have to use events? :-\ Why cant you just use the tilesset ? ???
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

nerissya

You need to use switches to be able to walk both under it and over it..

Valcos

Oh? :-\ Thought that was in the the prioritys and passages and stuff  ???
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Phasedscar

Yeah, it's a bad limitation with the engine but for the most part you can just get around it and it really doesn't take long.

Most likely they didn't have an "over/under" tiletype simply because it would be extremely difficult to control in the game without glitching, so, simply put, it's easier and lazier to just use the event engine over the tileset to accomplish it.

Really though, it only takes about 3-5 minutes to set up, so it's not a huge deal.

darklight

Phasedscar, would you mind making a short demo for us if you have the time? I learn best that way.

The demo release has been pushed back. In the meantime, you can check out my resources thread.
I'm also working on the project site - stay tuned for a launch very soon!

Nortos

Zeriab

I have made a demo and placed it on my site: http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/index.php?dir=events/&file=Bridge.rar
I know that I messed up the tileset (You shouldn't be able to walk down there), but it should still work as proof of concept.

*hugs*
- Zeriab

Blizzard

Quote from: Phasedscar on March 07, 2008, 09:58:51 am
Oh, I forgot to mention that if you're using Blizz-ABS to make sure EVERY one of those events has \map typed into it.  Especially if you're using the minimap option it offers.

Actually this is not necessary. Only teleport events are being displayed.

And you can also make 2 maps, using a 2 tilesets with different priorities for each and using a teleport command without fading when you walk down/up the stairs to make it look seemless. Of course this will cause trouble with caterpillars and you will have to add the \map to the teleport event's name so it's not being displayed in the minimap if you are using Blizz-ABS.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Phasedscar

March 08, 2008, 09:16:19 am #17 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:24:29 am by Phasedscar
Ah, I thought it was all events.  Thanks for the clearification Blizzard.

And I would have made you a demo but Zariab beat me too it lol.  Blizzard is correct in that you can make 2 seperate maps using 2 tilesets with different properties on the bridge, but it has it's own set of problems.  Most of the time though it's actually the simplist course of action and doesn't require switches.  If you're using the mini-map from Blizzard this can get you some other nice effects like it changing where the teleportation events are for the specific level you're on.  The only thing I do not like about it is that you have to have 2 exactly identical maps with different map properties.

One of the most notable problems is with moving events between both maps that make sense. (for instance a NPC that runs under the bridge while you're standing on it).  There's really no easy solution for that, but it's easier when you use events instead of a dual map system to accomplish that.

Either way, events are a good method to use if you plan on making a scene in your game.  The dual map system is good if you just want an area you can pass under and nothing more.  The best thing you can do is use a mix of these and be sure you plan ahead for the right method for whatever you're trying to accomplish.

I'd stick to events for the complicated scenes but for normal movement I'd have to go with Blizzard's example.

(I'm not going to do Blizzard's method personally but that's because I want bridges to sway when you walk on them, I was going do it with events and custom sprites).

Edit: BTW, thanks for the input Blizzard, I thought about that method and forgot to mention it.  Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to discredit you, I only got 4 hours sleep so thoughts aren't coming out so clearly   :-[

Blizzard

March 08, 2008, 09:58:48 am #18 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:59:22 am by BlizzHard
No, it's no problem at all. I personally prefer the events & switches method myself. I only noticed in Enterbrain's example game KNight Blade that they made it by using dual maps, so I though I should mention that. Which method to use pretty much depends on what you need it for. For an NPC running under a bridge while you are on top of it you have to set all events and the player to "Always top" temporarily which can cause problems. Bridges can be problematic, especially the ones that appear and disappear. Also note that many events can cause lag.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Phasedscar

March 08, 2008, 10:41:25 am #19 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 10:44:54 am by Phasedscar
Quote from: BlizzHard on March 08, 2008, 09:58:48 am
For an NPC running under a bridge while you are on top of it you have to set all events and the player to "Always top" temporarily which can cause problems. Bridges can be problematic, especially the ones that appear and disappear. Also note that many events can cause lag.

Overall I try to avoid bridges in my games, maybe only a total of 2-3 over the entire course of it, simply because of the logistical problems of them.  More often then not I don't really use events to make a bridge unless I want one continuous map (which can cause problems in it's own right).  As for the "Always on top" part, if your character is offset a little you only need to set the tiles that the NPC is running under as an "Always on top" which simplifies the process, but can look a little goofy.

As far as the events go I don't have a good computer to bench test it.  Unfortunately for me (in this case) it's just too powerful, I can have as many as 150 events roaming around at any time and still not have a lick of lag (and that's with 150 enemies on screen using Blizz-ABS mind you).

winkio

Wow.  So this is what happens when I post some explanation that everyone thinks is obscure and then forget about it.  Well, at least enough people understood/already knew to cover it.  Sorry about neglecting this thread.

On Topic: using this system with jumping is bound to create problems.  Make sure to turn of jumping/make no jump tiles on the bridge.  Allowing the player to jump off the bridge just creates a lot more problems than it's worth.

Blizzard

Yeah, that's awesome. I can run 200+ events on my map due to a specialized version of Blizz-ABSEAL in my own game, but 150 on screen really is a record. xD

And Blizz-ABS actually supports the no-jump terrain tags which disallow jumping over some stuff.