[XP] Continuous Maps

Started by Blizzard, December 14, 2009, 06:25:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Makasu

December 19, 2009, 08:52:40 am #20 Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:39:15 am by Makasu
I love you for this. :3 <3

EDIT: I get errors when trying to use this with BABS. something about [] nil class

Script '(*) Continuous Map' line 257: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method '[]' for nil:NilClass

which of course takes me to

257  if @maps[id] != nil
Dead on Arrival is the name of my project. Topic thread coming sooner or later.

Me on deviantart.com
My talents: ShowHide

• Spriting
  • drawing
  • html coding
  • website design
  • skating
             PM now for a personal quote!
[[Will draw character art for you for $$$ or scripts!]]

Blizzard

You didn't start a new game or have a map in your configuration that doesn't exist.

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on December 18, 2009, 11:07:50 pm
What...I thought you weren't scripting completely new things anymore. Oh well. Delightful surprise. <3

Regardless, such a script like this deserves a very warm welcome. How do events correspond to the map borders? Are they able to cross them?

Yes, they are. Reloading a submap into the full map will not load an event again if it was originally in another submap. Events are removed when they are in a submap that is being removed.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Makasu

December 20, 2009, 09:27:49 pm #22 Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 10:12:29 pm by Makasu
Ahh a new game helped but now all of my enemies that I have on one map appear on the beginning map and not the area they are...If that makes sense?

IE:

I have no enemies on map one but enemies on map 2. The enemies on map 2 are on map one when I start the game.

Yeah lol I need a manual. >_> I fail at continuous maps. :(

EDIT: This also seems to create a problem in babs when switching the player.

Whenever I switch with the script in I get the following:

Script 'Blizz ABS pt 2' line 2854: ArgumentError occured.
wrong number of arguments (3 for 2)

which of course takes me to:

center(player.x, player.y, true) if $game_system.caterpillar

Me on deviantart.com

• Spriting
  • drawing
  • html coding
  • website design
  • skating

Aqua

Try changing the line to

center(player.x, player.y) if $game_system.caterpillar

Blizzard

No, it's a problem with the script order. I'll fix it ASAP. The order is fine, the script needs to be fixed.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Makasu

Alrighty after finally kinda sorta figuring out how to use this. (Negative numbers included) I've encountered another bug I can't teleport to another map. Let's say like an interior. I have to have every single map linked. Its not really a problem par se its just I like the interior transition (fade to black) but without it I get an error. I can't remember the exact error at the moment but ill post it when I have comp. Access.

Me on deviantart.com

• Spriting
  • drawing
  • html coding
  • website design
  • skating

Blizzard

Teleporting to another map doesn't work? Then I have to check that.

Makasu

Quote from: Blizzard on December 22, 2009, 09:27:05 am
Teleporting to another map doesn't work? Then I have to check that.

It doesn't because I get the following error:

Script (*) Continuous Map' line 255: NoMethod Error occurred.
undefined method 'each' for nil:NilClass

which of course takes me to line 255

CTMAPS::MAPS[@map_id].each {|data|

Me on deviantart.com

• Spriting
  • drawing
  • html coding
  • website design
  • skating

Blizzard

That's because there is no configuration for that map.

Makasu

December 22, 2009, 10:31:13 am #29 Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:33:22 am by Makasu
But see its a teleported map. Its an interior map. Or y'know what I could just link the map to itself right?

EDIT: Okay linking the map to itself worked but now events from other maps are showing up. Like map 9 is the interior map and like events from 39 are showing up because its another map linked to itself.

Me on deviantart.com

• Spriting
  • drawing
  • html coding
  • website design
  • skating

Blizzard

As I said, I need to test and fix it. :P

tatasz

I´ve tested this, and seems like there is a bug related to teleporting: when the player teleports from map A to map B (event), the events from map A also teleport to the map B and so on. It´s not always, but pretty frequently.
Hope I said something useful :)

legacyblade

January 10, 2010, 07:45:36 pm #32 Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 07:54:04 pm by legacyblade
(someone pointed that bug out like two posts ago x.x)

and wow, this is a great script Blizz! It'll really help with the large ocean map the players are going to have to be sailing on (like the ocean in wind waker). It's also pretty cool that events can walk between the barriers of different maps!

-edit-

by the way, do you plan on making this compatible with blizzABS' Intelligent Passibility? Also, I'm sure you already know this, but the current version of the blizzABS manual doesn't mention this script in its compatibility section.

Again, awesome script :D

Blizzard

I just haven't added it yet.

Making it work with Intelligent Passability could be quite a hassle. But I might do it eventually.

legacyblade

I figured you just hadn't put it in yet. But I thought I'd point it out in case you'd forgotten (I probably would have forgotten >.>)

And if making it work with it is such a hassle, I wouldn't. You implementing segmentation will reduce lag enough to make up for loosing Intelligent passibility

Calintz

Question ...
Could there be a way to change the screen tone of the neighbor maps for indoor purposes??

Like in the older style games, when you would walk through a door, the map you came from would get dark, while the room you were currently exploring was fully illuminated.

Blizzard

Calintz

legacyblade

How do you do that through events? I mean ya, you can change the color of the whole screen with events, but how would one change the screen tone only for the neighbor maps (and change the current map's screen tone to something different)? While I don't think it's a crucial feature, and if it's not possible to implement (or it'll take too long to impliment), that's totally understandable. It's just it would really be cool to make the rooms you're not in while indoors have a separate screen tone.

Blizzard

Oh wait, you meant darkening a part of a map? That's not really easy to make since you would be darkening parts of the map. :/