Screenshot Thread

Started by Nortos, January 08, 2008, 02:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

element

May 23, 2012, 02:39:45 pm #1260 Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:41:52 pm by element
Quote from: Blizzard on May 23, 2012, 01:18:45 pm
Very interesting. Are you using a script for that?

Not at all, just a tileset with the Wall autotile in it and then I just copy the outside map over and guess where the walls would go, the rest is just adding detail and doors and all that.

This way of inside-mapping jumped into my head when reading about people wanting to dim other maps when using your continious maps, Blizz.
In my opinion it works quite well.

Edit : And as for the entering the house, I now have a simple teleporting door. Still need to figure out how to get that smooth, entering-the-house-style teleport.

Blizzard

I see. But I think that somebody actually made a script that can dim parts of the map.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

element

A possible.

Not sure if I want to dim the outside though...

I was thinking of blurring the outside, might give a cool effect. Will probably be a pain in the *** to script though, at least for me.

Blizzard

It's not the scripting that will cause you problems bug the lag created from blurring. Blurring in itself is a bit of a costly operation, especially if you are running it on the CPU instead of the GPU.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

stripe103

You don't need to blur it more than once and then just show the already blurred image.. right?

MarkHest

I just resently upploaded these in The Missing Part - (Title Missing) Introduction topic:

Adventuring 1: ShowHide

Adventuring 2: ShowHide

Adventuring 3: ShowHide

Adventuring 4: ShowHide

Adventuring 5: ShowHide

Adventuring 6: ShowHide

Adventuring 7: ShowHide

Adventuring 8: ShowHide

Adventuring 9: ShowHide

Battle 1: ShowHide

Battle 2: ShowHide

Battle 3: ShowHide

Battle 4: ShowHide

Battle 5: ShowHide

Also, here are some new maps of the Main City:

- Large Images -
Spoiler: ShowHide

Lobstrosity

@Mr.Hest: The last of the large images... that map is... amazing. I mean, some elements of the map are just that crazy, missing part-esque style but at the same time it looks like you put a lot of effort into it. It looks really professional. Well done, my good sir.
Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!

Blizzard

Those maps in general look pretty good IMO. Funny how the game started out to be more of a joke in the beginning (just like CP did xD).

Vexus

@element

1 huge suggestion is use round water, squarish water looks bad.

@Markhest

You have a big habit on making big rooms/maps with many empty spaces you should make them smaller imo it makes them look better.
Current Project/s:

MarkHest

May 24, 2012, 11:56:21 am #1269 Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:02:38 pm by MarkHest
@Lob & Blizz: Thanks  :haha:

@Vexus: I'm just going to write down my thoughts on this :)

I like empty spaces.
It's nice to have some space to walk around in, right? I personaly don't think that every map have to have a detail put out between every 3th frame and i like when it's open and free. Whenever i leave a place empty i usualy just fill it in with some objekt that you can normally pass through, like a flower or a book or something like that. I don't only focus on what looks best, i mostly focus on what could be real.
I mean, usualy a room have a lot of space in the middle of it so you can walk through it, right?
I try to think on a realistic level more than the normal: "It looks bad, change it so my eyes can be pleased."

I'm sorry, but i am not going to fill my maps with random stuff just because it looks better with less space. I am going to look out my window and analyze how much empty space there should really be and how maps can be more realistic.

-I mean, just because it's unecessary to walk on a specific area(Maybe a big lawn), does it mean i should remove it? Is the owner of the house now allowed to have a big lawn? :(
-Is the town not allowed to be big and leave a lot of space for nature? (As you see in the screenshots. The city likes to leave a lot of space for fields of grass and flowers. It just looks pretty and i think it would in reality too)

Don't get me wrong, I usually listen to critisicm/feedback. However this...
I just felt the need to write this. It bothered me greatly

Vexus

May 24, 2012, 12:25:16 pm #1270 Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:34:09 pm by Vexus
Up to you, really, mine's just an observation.

Sure in reality outside there is plenty of space where to walk etc but this is a game, maps should be detailed. I'm not saying you should add several things in the middle that block the way or anything but even in the real world unless it's a farm or street there's plenty of stuff around the streets/fields so I don't agree with you.

Also while in houses there certainly is space where to walk I'm 100% sure your indoor map has far too much space in many of your rooms from that last picture you uploaded. Some rooms in particular are the bottom corridors/rooms, the room filled with the red carpet, the room that for some reason has a skeleton and human biology figures in the middle of the room and in particularly the rounded corridor at the bottom.

I sincerely hope you don't think I'm insulting you or saying your maps are crap or anything like that it's just mapping is the best thing I do and I like providing suggestions/criticisms to help people improve since when I needed criticisms/feedback I had people kind enough to help me.  :)
Current Project/s:

MarkHest

May 24, 2012, 01:13:00 pm #1271 Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:16:52 pm by MarkHest
No, i never took it as an unsult :haha: . I appriciate that you want to help me and i am glad that people are willing to give me their opinions. I just wanted to state my thoughts because the matter refused to leave my mind :xD: .

But i can understand what you're getting at, i probably will listen to your words and make some maps more detailed. However, i already spent days trying to find the energy to do the town in its current form and i'm kind of worn out on mapping right now.
Cheers man :)

Spaceman McConaughey

May 25, 2012, 11:15:19 am #1272 Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:19:29 am by Tuggernuts
Quote from: djskagnetti on May 21, 2012, 02:12:07 pm
Maybe a different color would suit her?

Look, since clearly nobody else is going to say it as bluntly/obviously:
The giant green statue looks very bad mixed in with the RTP, and a different color isn't going to do anything to help.
Now, how about a different style? Why not make one that will match the RTP? :P

Boba Fett Link

Quote from: MarkHest on May 24, 2012, 11:56:21 am
It's nice to have some space to walk around in, right? I personaly don't think that every map have to have a detail put out between every 3th frame and i like when it's open and free.

I agree. When mapping I always struggle with overfilling my maps but then not having enough room to do anything in. Its even more important in a BABS game because you need room to fight.

Quote from: Tuggernuts on May 25, 2012, 11:15:19 am
Look, since clearly nobody else is going to say it as bluntly/obviously:
The giant green statue looks very bad mixed in with the RTP, and a different color isn't going to do anything to help.

That is what I was trying to say.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Vexus

Well yes some space is required to fight but small rooms provide more suspense and more dangerous fights too.

My point was mostly regarding the inside as you can have big open outsides with plenty of details if your confident in your skills, to each their own I guess.

------------

Anyway I need some opinions on some icons and inventory screen layout/style (Not 100% ready yet but the layout is going to be something like that)

These are 2 of 3 icons I currently edited to be shown in my menu:

The menu will have only 3 choices:

Inventory
Status
Diary

(Still need to find/create an icon ideal for the diary around 56x56 in size)

And the inventory screen using some edited pcitures by myself (I know it's not that good looking but I tried to make a layout of what there was going to be in it for something better in the future)

There will be 3 inventories that change the size of your bags from 15 slots to 45 slots indicated by the back name over the icon.

So what do you think people? Do you think they fit nice with the game?

Current Project/s:

element

I like it Vexus :)

I also need everyone's opinion on these screens.
They are shots from a lakeside area.

Together they form this area:

Boba Fett Link

Wow, those maps look nice! *thumbs up*

However, I do think those trees with all the roots are ment to be in the water, but I might be wrong.

G_G

They look nice, but in my opinion, I think there's too much grassy stuff on the ground and in the water. As for the trees with the roots, I'm with Boba on this one. I think they're meant to be placed on Sand or in Water.

element

Quote from: Boba Fett Link on May 28, 2012, 08:45:50 am
Wow, those maps look nice! *thumbs up*

However, I do think those trees with all the roots are ment to be in the water, but I might be wrong.

Thank you!

Quote from: game_guy on May 28, 2012, 10:04:09 am
They look nice, but in my opinion, I think there's too much grassy stuff on the ground and in the water. As for the trees with the roots, I'm with Boba on this one. I think they're meant to be placed on Sand or in Water.

Thanks, and for the grassy stuff, I just followed the rule of blizzard:
Quote from: BlizzardJust throw some more junk on the floor.

I might have overdone it though.

As for the trees, It is true that they are used as water trees most of the time yes.
Not sure about what I'm going to do with them though, I like 'em in the way they're standing here.
I'll see later.

Thanks for the feedback guys !

Boba Fett Link

Maybe there's some other junk you can throw on the sand instead of the weeds. (They are weeds, aren't they? That's what they look like.) Maybe some of the small rocks/gravel? I think their on a different tileset but you can add it easily.