Screenshot Thread

Started by Nortos, January 08, 2008, 02:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

Quote from: Zexion on April 07, 2014, 05:54:32 am
Yeah, I fixed it up quite a bit since then!

OMG!!! That looks amazing. I've never seen spriterips look so good in an RM engine. Those ARE rips right? If not, I think you're owed more than just a few kudos :P

Zexion

:o Well first, hallooow
Second, actually the only rip is the character and his face. The character sprite is not really a direct rip either xD
Aside from that I made most of the tiles and mixed in some rtp with it. I'm actually not using this tileset anymore so anyone interested can have it by PM

WhiteRose

Zexion is genuinely an amazing pixel artist.

R.A.V.S.O

Mixing scripts and events to make an alternate Game Over screen for my project,
since I control it via common event I can modify the last screen (actual game over call) to display different causes of death.

demonstration pic, (I wanted to record this but meh,)
Spoiler: ShowHide

basically the static is actually a short animated AVI file, followed by the actual game over screen,
since the avi ends with a black screen, when the game over image is called, it gives the illusion of white letters appearing from the dark.
Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Zexion

Quote from: WhiteRose on June 11, 2014, 01:01:41 am
Zexion is genuinely an amazing pixel artist.

Lol, <3 thanks rose
@RAVSO, that's a really cool game over, but does the avi file play smoothly?

R.A.V.S.O

Quote from: Zexion on June 11, 2014, 02:10:25 am
@RAVSO, that's a really cool game over, but does the avi file play smoothly?

The avi plays flawlessly however there are some issues with the common event itself,

basically when you hit 0 HP, I have the following event happen:

1- bgm & sfx fade away in 10 frames, (works properly)

2- screen goes black & white in 10-20 frames (works properly)

3- while the screen goes B&W play a certain sfx (works properly)

4- change background color to full black in 1frame THEN proceed to play AVI file (works properly)

5- once AVI ends THEN I call the game over screen, (has issues)

this is where my problems start, you see since I already made the background fully black, the transition should NEVER be
noticed, however there is one small issue.... the battle windows.

it just breaks the effect down,

and well being the script-oblivious person that I am I still haven't figured out a way to get rid of the battle screen on a step
below before calling the game over screen, it doesn't help that it's also a custom battle system (RTAB to be precise) and I'm not
sure if it handles battle windows any different D:

anyone know how to call those windows off?
Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

suikoden727

Does anyone know where that Suikoden guy went? I'm making my own video game too.

https://www.facebook.com/Suikoden2.5

Spaceman McConaughey

SpritingNomad

Don't have much to show.. yet.
Have a cliff, the tree, some weeds,.. and some very tiny flowers  :^_^':

I also created standing frames for two of the heroes, they are Kaeli and Tristam.
By this time i've put in a bit more work on the tree and grass, though you could not see that in the thread title image very well before.
Since i'm working with the blown up spritework for XP i can also add some nice detail here and there, such as the very small flowers.
Also plan to add more pieces to the cliff, pieces that jut forward, cavern entrances and more.

Zexion

I like it, very clean. Nicely done :gunz:

SpritingNomad

August 03, 2014, 02:05:32 pm #1430 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:11:13 pm by SpritingNomad
Thank you.
I think i will change the cliff look though, i want something more grey-ish (with a slight green tint), and this one might just be better suited for caverns since it looks more earthy.

I was looking through the ARC section and i really like your diagonal sand tiles.
But I don't see any new posts in there though, or did you and the others guys decide to keep it all secret?

Zexion

Nah I never continued that, you can have them if you want: http://puu.sh/aDjxd/aa2fb8cf76.png

SpritingNomad

August 03, 2014, 05:16:34 pm #1432 Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 05:52:21 pm by SpritingNomad
Very nice of you, thanks.
The only reason i wont use it is because i prefer to work on these things from scratch :D

If you ever want to work in the same manner i am (or use RM2k3) than i'd be happy to let you guys use my character template, i only have to make the child, and a female body type is not necessary.

Bah, i forgot, there are many templates available for it anyway.. XD.

Zexion

I really should work with templates, but I don't have the patience to sprite the entire body in multiple poses, and thenn add the details. I'd rather just do it in one go >.> Which is why my animations look nasteh

SpritingNomad

I'm the same, which is why i opted to use the smaller characters in the end.
It's a better way to go when working on your own, and believe me, it is easier to do this sort of thing with smaller character sets, especially spriting clothes and hair  ;)
It still takes time, but nowhere near as much as working with the standard size for RMXP or even RMVX sprites.

IMO this is how the RTP should have been worked on for ARC, there are many people that do not know how to sprite well, and the smaller templates/character sets would be more forgiving, easier and faster to fix mistakes.

Zexion

Yeah smaller characters are fun and all but I feel that larger characters with tons of frames bring more life to the game o.o

Spaceman McConaughey

Eh, large characters seem off in a 640x480 game, I think.
What comes to mind is this kaizer template (or whatever they called it), for RMXP.
Was from years ago, and it didn't look right at all.

Though, your use of KH sprites seems good, and I'd say that's because they're more medium than large.

SpritingNomad

August 04, 2014, 11:06:40 am #1437 Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:12:11 am by SpritingNomad
They certainly help, but you don't need big graphics or characters with six frames or more to make a game feel alive, take Aria Fell (2k3 game) for example, that first town alone feels more alive than anything I've seen created in Rmvx or Xp yet.
It's more to do with atmosphere, story, and clever mapping, decent graphics can get the job done.

The Kaiser template is great, but yeah the bigger you get the more frames you need to add or the movement looks choppy,  you can fix that some by having the arms and legs not swing as far.

Zexion

August 04, 2014, 06:27:42 pm #1438 Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 06:29:10 pm by Zexion
Yeah, I never really liked kaiser. I think it's based of ragnarok online, but still.. I have yet to see anything really good with them. I probably meant medium size like Blinx metioned xD
Also, of course it's totally doable, to create an atmosphere without highly detailed character sheets, but I feel that it helps to have bigger charsets more than it hurts. Though, I've played some 2k3 that were more immersive than any rmxp game I've played.

Also, just to stay on topic:

A few things going on in this pic.
  • Sprite of the female character. (woo)
  • Beta stage. This will be in the final as one of those things I just leave in, but you'll need to hack to get it (I kinda encourage the hacking for some reason)
  • Scripted battle system - So far it's in the very early stages, but the player can basically already do what I showed in the previous gifs. Except it's scripted this time
  • New screenshot template - Basically the glass effect thing, and the black/white UI isn't real, but I wanted a matching UI for all screenshots from here on out. (it's the artsy in me)
    The best thing to note, battles are not on the map anymore, so after I implement a few things, I can do battles from the editor. (woo)

SpritingNomad

A screenshot to make up for all my jabbering  ;)
I still have to do a few things, such as make an alternate grass tile to break up the repetition, same for cliff face.
I have also decreased saturation on tree all around, thinking about doing the same for the character, at least a tad.
Ah, and i've recreated the chest, and enlarged the flowers.