Screenshot Thread

Started by Nortos, January 08, 2008, 02:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sase

January 18, 2011, 09:58:25 am #1000 Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:11:38 am by Sase
@Tuggernuts: First off let me say that the screenshot looks nice, and is very nicely tinted and fogged to create a nice atmosphere.
However, the bridge on top: Since the camera in Rpg Maker is pretty much exactly 45 degrees, we should also see the cliffs of the end of the bridge, and in this case we don't. So unless the bridge is really, really long (I'm talking about more than hundred meters), there would be the background. Another thing is the "waterfall" that starts out of nowhere. The water would run out very quickly, even if it rained a lot more than it does on that screen, and there wouldn't be a "waterfall". There is also a log out of nowhere on the left, no stump or anything remains but the log is still there.
This might feel like nitpicking, but hard to come up with any else criticism on that map.

tSwitch

Quote from: Sase on January 18, 2011, 09:58:25 am
@Tuggernuts: First off let me say that the screenshot looks nice, and is very nicely tinted and fogged to create a nice atmosphere.
However, the bridge on top: Since the camera in Rpg Maker is pretty much exactly 45 degrees, we should also see the cliffs of the end of the bridge, and in this case we don't. So unless the bridge is really, really long (I'm talking about more than hundred meters), there would be the background. Another thing is the "waterfall" that starts out of nowhere. The water would run out very quickly, even if it rained a lot more than it does on that screen, and there wouldn't be a "waterfall". There is also a log out of nowhere on the left, no stump or anything remains but the log is still there.
This might feel like nitpicking, but hard to come up with any else criticism on that map.

It's the RM default bridge tile, not much can be done there.
Also if it's a spring then the water would not run out, mountain springs are common.

If it's not a spring, then perhaps the water is causing little isolated pools to overflow, creating temporary waterfalls.
It looks fine imho.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Sase

January 18, 2011, 12:43:00 pm #1002 Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 01:04:02 pm by Sase
Quote from: NAMKCOR on January 18, 2011, 12:18:31 pmIt's the RM default bridge tile, not much can be done there.
Also if it's a spring then the water would not run out, mountain springs are common.

If it's not a spring, then perhaps the water is causing little isolated pools to overflow, creating temporary waterfalls.
It looks fine imho.

Springs are underground pools of water (right?) and as much as I know gravity, it wouldn't be on top of a mountain. And I know, it does look fine, but since the map is almost flawless I needed to draw criticism from what I could :)

I have finished another map, and I want to share because this is the real actual castle I've done. The missing shadow on the church is fixed, but I CBA to fix it on the screen anymore.. It has many (and probably then some more) errors on design, since I haven't done structures much, if at all, before. Also the "outside the gates"-green area looks boring because I rushed through it.

So I present to you, a 80x80 castle screenshot, lacking only in NCP's, other events, realism and that one damn shadow.

http://rpgmaker.fi/sase/rpg/screen/linnae.png

Spoiler: ShowHide

The image is large, if you prefer small sized but blurry JPgay, click here http://rpgmaker.fi/sase/rpg/screen/linnae-dialupver.jpg

In case someone wonders about the silly signing, I noticed that one of my maps was found on the first pages when googling for RMXP, and in case it happens again I can have my 5 minutes of fame.

Spoofus

i must say Sase that map is well...it made me drool

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

stripe103

Same here... That is great!! 8-O

Spoofus

hey i made a tileset merge which took forever due to the fact that my monitor refuses to display images right in ms paint (took me 2 hours to get it right  :P )

my project takes place underground with modern to futuristic technology
which gives it a unique feel i think(a step away from the medieval theme at least)

i know a few things will be off on in it, remember just a preview sooooo
here it is,it may be small but it is just to show the merge off and how it looks :

i personally think it looks rather nice but eh what do i know right  :haha:

The Niche

It looks interesting anyway. I like the look of the map, shall have to see how it turns out.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Spoofus

ill put up a better screenshot after work,of a complete map using the merged tileset

Sase

If it's just to showcase the tileset: It looks pretty nice actually, you might want to fool around with sharpness, intensity and contrast of the cave-tileset. It looks way too soft there. And just as a tip, Zanyzora (if I remember his name correctly) has ton of cool futuristic resources on his site (should be on google, I'm a little in a hurry now) that you might want to add there.

tSwitch

Quote from: Sase on January 18, 2011, 12:43:00 pm
Springs are underground pools of water (right?) and as much as I know gravity, it wouldn't be on top of a mountain. And I know, it does look fine, but since the map is almost flawless I needed to draw criticism from what I could :)

Springs very well could be atop mountains.  Ever heard bottled water companies boasting that they get their water from mountain springs?
A spring--also known as a rising or resurgence--is a component of the hydrosphere. Specifically, it is any natural situation where water flows to the surface of the earth from underground. Thus, a spring is a site where the aquifer surface meets the ground surface.

Quote from: Sase on January 18, 2011, 12:43:00 pm
[map screenshot]

Not bad, though the church seems weird, the tiles on the roof look like the stone path tiles, and the front of it looks like floor tiling as well.  I'd try to make the trees a little less square as well, maybe less use of the autotile, bunched trees look much better than that autotile.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Spoofus

thank ya NAMKOR
and i have tried fixing the contrast but it is difficult for me with this old monitor

and here a a simple map to show it off some more :)

The Niche

That looks pretty nice. I'd advise making an autotile for the steel wall tops that'll blend with the earthen wall tops.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Spoofus

i actually tried to make it look as if the steel walls were built into the stone itself

The Niche

Hmm...in that case, maybe put an extra bit of earth wall above the steel wall?

G_G

Or you could open up gimp photoshop or whatever. Copy the Rock wall and the steel wall into a new file or new layer. Place the two on two different layers and place the steel wall behind the rock wall.

Grab the lasso tool and make sure anti alias is selected. Draw a roundish curved area over the rock wall and delete it. If you want I could take a crack at it.

Spoofus

by all means take a crack at it,im terrible at that sorta thing

do you need the tileset? if so ill upload a link to it

Sase

@Rockman: I do know what springs are, but as far as I'm concerned it's not likely that there is a huge water supply inside the mountain that comes out on the top, but this discussion is pointless so no point in continuing it. And about the Castle map; It's actually not an autotile so it's really boring to make it less patterned. I did some fixing now, but it still doesn't look too good. Oh well. And about the church: The roof tile is in fact meant to be a roof tile (at least Inquisitor flagged it with unpassability flag in his demo), but it has the same "texture" as the road, don't know then :/

nathmatt

what do you think of my trap door and hud

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

RoseSkye

WhiteRose

Quote from: nathmatt on January 19, 2011, 01:56:00 pm
what do you think of my trap door and hud

I think the green bar in the top left corner looks a little bland compared to the rest of the HUD. Apart from that, it looks great.