Screenshot Thread

Started by Nortos, January 08, 2008, 02:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrimTrigger

Quote from: Vexus on May 13, 2012, 07:11:04 pm
A work in progress map of a hopefully upcoming project.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Yes, black and white is intentional

It utilizes the fade room effect script of littledrago to make the previous rooms darker to add some suspense and mystery (At least that's the idea :P ).

This is very good. I like the black and white theme. I use a sepia tone for flash backs myself, and I love the overall feel you screenshot portrays. Well done.

Vexus

Thanks guys :)

Mostly by work in progress I mean sound effects (Using sound for footsteps and dynamic sound script for clocks, tvs etc etc), a decent hud that matches the style I have in mind and the implementation of an abs (Probably blizz one) which doesn't complicate the few scripts I have in the project.
Current Project/s:

Boba Fett Link

Quote from: Vexus on May 15, 2012, 03:22:08 pm
Thanks guys :)

Mostly by work in progress I mean sound effects (Using sound for footsteps and dynamic sound script for clocks, tvs etc etc), a decent hud that matches the style I have in mind and the implementation of an abs (Probably blizz one) which doesn't complicate the few scripts I have in the project.

You should probably add that ABS ASAP just to make sure it doesn't mess with your other scripts.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

Vexus

Your right I'll try blizz abs tomorrow hopefully none of the scripts I'm using gives errors with it. (Specially the Day/Night script that has a very neat hud for showing time and let's me use custom lights during the night as shown in the screen by placing a comment in an event instead of having to make parallel events)

Started recently adding scripts so it was bound to happen. (Tough I got many work to do with creating custom sprites myself and hopefully in the near future some downed sprites for them too.)
Current Project/s:

G_G

Video of my Alien Spawners project. Basically started this project from scratch and rather than using C#, using C++. I've learned a lot while remaking it into what it is now.

GAX

Quote from: Sase on May 02, 2012, 08:24:46 am
Small ones:

Big ones:

Animated battler gifs:

Some of you might know the sources of these rips :)

Great work man, though I'm curious as to where you got your version of the Future Tileset.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

djskagnetti

thanks =)!

G_G

Which brings me back to the quality over quantity. You have a lot of maps, but these maps look hastily made. Some feel cluttered, some look like a mess, and others look too bland or empty. I'm no mapper myself, but I feel you can definitely improve. Sit down and spend a good few hours looking over some mapping tutorials and improve your maps rather than focusing on anything else right now. People won't want to play your game if you don't make a good first impression, which is what showing off your maps do.

Boba Fett Link

The giant green statue looks very out of place.
This post will self-destruct in 30 seconds.

djskagnetti

What specifically don't you like about each map?  The first one is a skill shop, each character standing at a desk offers a specific school of skills.  They are all in the same shop because it is set underground and there is only so much room for everything.  The second is the second town set in a small rocky valley.  The third is just the bottom part of a cave where you fight the elemental earth king.  4th is a small room to fight a miniboss to open a door in the fire elemental area.  5th is a large open map called a hunting map, where you can hunt monsters for slightly better gold and xp than average and fight minibosses that will come back after a timer runs out.  6th is just the top part of a large forest, the gravestone thingy leads to a very large cave which leads to another area.  7th is a probably has the least amount of effort I guess, but it is the elemental plane of darkness (one of three that are like this) and is supposed to look like that.  8th is a very large area called Bloo filled with many caves connecting to many different levels of rocky plateaus.  I made a blue fog to go over everything to turn it a haze of blue, the light in the game is cast by the fungi on the walls and ceilings that glow, and in this particular area the fungi makes monsters more docile, so when you are "outside" of caves you are attacked less frequently, but "inside" of caves there is less fungi so you are attacked a lot more.  As it takes place underground, I had to alter/change any battleback that has a sky or sunlight coming through a window, etc. The giant green statue is called the oracle and she etches events that happen in the world into her stonework as time passes.  Maybe a different color would suit her?  Also, the people underground have evolved into all sorts of colored hair/skin over the course of the last 5000 years, many things in their world are not "normal-colored." =)

There is only so much you can do with a 16-bit (or whatever bit it is) game graphic tileset that gives you only so much for options for each set.  Feedback is appreciated, thanks =)

G_G

May 21, 2012, 06:16:29 pm #1250 Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 06:17:46 pm by game_guy
32-bit Graphics and this screenshot right here proves that you can do plenty with them.

Shops shouldn't have that much area to be honest. If you have a skill shop, I think you should give it more of a store feel. More compact areas, showing off merchandise on the walls, etc...

Vexus

If you where doing the project on vx or vxa I would understand a little but with xp you have 3 layers where you put stuff you can put much more detail in the maps because as others have said theirs many open space.

Ps. If these towns/shops are underground how come they are so well lit?
Current Project/s:

djskagnetti

Those are obviously custom tilesets, any ideas where to find some nice ones?  I like the trees, beds, and bookcases in those pics a lot! =)

It's actually a type of fungi that grows on the walls and ceilings that emits a sort of fluorescent lighting.  In some areas it's almost as bright as the sun would be =)  Inside they use lamps and fires and magic glowing orbs that emit light.  I have added some fogs in areas, but may darken it up a bit in others.

element

I only map with the given tilesets or some semi-rare tiles of my own.
I also create extremely large maps, and with that given, I can still make some pretty descent maps.

Now, no offense, but I wouldn't play a game with your maps either.
I understand that you are probably new to mapping or just no that good at it, we all have to start somewhere.

A pro tip is to steal with your eyes. Look at other's maps, or read tutorials on how to map better.
It helped me a great lot and I'm sure it will help you too.

Good luck! :)

AliveDrive

@G_G Those are some lovely screenies, what game are they from pray tell?

@djskagnetti What element said. I spent a good deal of time looking at videos on youtube, and reading sites, as well as playing games before I started making maps I was at least content with.

Don't feel like you are under attack as constructive criticism can often feel.

Try your best to improve instead.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

djskagnetti

Can I see your maps =)?

G_G

Quote from: AliveDrive on May 22, 2012, 01:32:59 pm
@G_G Those are some lovely screenies, what game are they from pray tell?

Sase posted them.

Quote from: Sase on May 02, 2012, 08:24:46 am
Small ones:

Big ones:

Animated battler gifs:

Some of you might know the sources of these rips :)

Landith

@dj: I think you need to look into things realistically. I mean yea you can have abstract qualities to your game, but when the maps don't have a path to follow, wrong tile placement, different tilesets combined into one everything just clashes. I would definitely stick to the default RTP tilesets not combined and post in the mapping improvement section until you get the hang of things. Then venture out into custom tilesets/combined tilesets.

Also look at lots of people's maps. They normally have a path that's visible to the eye that you just want to follow with lots of detail in the background of the map. If you make a really busy map your eye will just want to go everywhere and there won't be a set place the player knows to go. Also make realistic buildings. Small buildings have small rooms, big buildings have obviously lots of space to walk around in/lots of rooms. Realistically a river would have waterfalls, animals around it, streams going off, lots of plants around the river and it won't be straight right? Then map it like that. Also look at towns. They normally have one main attraction near the center, with shops and places around there(marketplace) and people's houses are in districts. Normally rich/poor/average neighborhoods. Uhhh deserts are wide open spaces but still create a path to it so the player won't be wondering around... What I do is create cliffs within the desert to create paths that branch off into mazes if you will so the player won't have just a straight path to follow.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is create a path for the player to follow, don't make it straight, add details around the path but not on it so much, emphasize the path, close off things around the path the player doesn't need to get to. Open spaces are bad. If everything is too open then the player will feel bored. Even with enemies and what not it will take them awhile to get where they are trying to go. With a path they already know where they want to go. Also don't make it completely obvious with the path like a random dirt road in a town or something make it realistic. Like dirt roads in forests where there has been lots of travellers but if it's a forest not a lot of people go through then make it subtle like trees around it but have it be the only 'open area' to follow. Just think of things realistically I guess.

I'm way tired and have no idea what all I just said if it makes any sense... Just ask questions if you don't understand what I'm trying to get at and when I'm more awake I'll answer them

element

I have some quick screens of a map for you guys.

I do have to note that these are not finished, I still need to add more detail and ofcourse events.
So ofcourse, any given input is appreciated.

Big Map

An inside house concept, it's the lower left house in the big map.

A quick screen from the intro cutscene, I decided to throw it in here becouse I still had the picture laying around. :D

Blizzard

Quote from: element on May 23, 2012, 12:02:51 pm
An inside house concept, it's the lower left house in the big map.

Very interesting. Are you using a script for that?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.