Screenshot Thread

Started by Nortos, January 08, 2008, 02:24:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Shek

@Sase
That cave looks fantastic,
and your main character sprite looks good too.  Looks like he has some pretty solid attack animations.

Originally when I started this project I planned to just use the RTP for everything - the goal was to make an extremely fast paced gameplay oriented A-RPG with Blizz Abs; about 100 hours into development I got sick of the appearance of tile-sets and started painting the maps like in FF7, Chrono Cross etc.  I'm only one guy and I work a full-time job, and I want to actually finish this game, so I have to triage priorities.

1) Great gameplay and combat
2) Great immersive maps
3) Custom tailored soundtrack (I am a concert pianist professionally, so I plan on tailoring the score on a scene to scene basis)
4) Voice acting on every line of dialogue
5) THEN once I have a working game I can go back and redesign many sprites

I've never painted sprites before, so if you have any advice on some learning resources that really helped you, let me know!

_elvenheart

November 21, 2013, 07:56:55 am #1381 Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:58:32 am by _elvenheart
@Sase: Man, that's awesome. Brings back childhood memories... :D

So I was tinkering Blizz-ABS and some spriting...

Spoiler: ShowHide

Heretic86

Looks pretty good!

And welcome to the site!
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Sase

@Blizzard @Shek
Thanks, unfortunately I haven't done any of the sprites myself so of course they look good x)

@Shek
Pre-rendered maps (à la Playstation-era Final Fantasy) must take an enormous amount of time. Unfortunately I'm not that good at making animated characters either. When you think you'll start doing them, I suggest you google different kinds of sprite templates and study them a bit, what makes the sprite look fluid and look like it's actually moving. Of course you don't NEED to do it, graphics are just icing on the cake on RPG's.
Also, concert pianist. That's cool. I don't have any musical background other than what I've taught myself, but I'm doing my soundtrack from scratch too. Maybe we could share some work :)

@_elvenheart
Your HUD looks dope, your character looks dope. The map is good too, but they don't mix that well together. Have you thought about doing different HUDs for different parts of the game (like in Kingdom Hearts 2)? If that map is just to show off the sprite, then I can live with it :)

Shek

November 21, 2013, 10:09:12 pm #1384 Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:10:42 pm by Shek
Painted a cool map this morning, green poison cave of doom!
I really need to get a stylus; this mouse thing is starting to limit me.

Shek

Made another cool map today. Jumpity Jump.

Zexion

Are you going to try any cool fog effects with that map?

Shek

Definitely; it looks better in-game with the light bloom effect and animated fog.

Heretic86

Quote from: Shek on November 24, 2013, 03:04:42 am
Definitely; it looks better in-game with the light bloom effect and animated fog.

Light Bloom?  Seriously?
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Shek

November 24, 2013, 04:08:53 am #1389 Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:11:17 am by Shek
Bloom Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_%28shader_effect%29

... but it's not really a bloom .. Not sure how that would truly be achieved in XP, if it's possible at all.

The effect I use is more like a source light emanating from the player, combined with burned edges on the borders of the screen, and animated fog.

Heretic86

Quote from: Shek on November 24, 2013, 04:08:53 am
Bloom Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_%28shader_effect%29

... but it's not really a bloom .. Not sure how that would truly be achieved in XP, if it's possible at all.

The effect I use is more like a source light emanating from the player, combined with burned edges on the borders of the screen, and animated fog.

I wonder if it would be possible with Two Fogs using one using Add instead of set to normal?  Could be worth checking out...
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

Shek

Was walking around in my game tonight and took a screeny that I really liked.  Demo will be ready in about 1-2 weeks. I'm so excited for people to try it out!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Shek on December 02, 2013, 02:24:54 am
Was walking around in my game tonight and took a screeny that I really liked.  Demo will be ready in about 1-2 weeks. I'm so excited for people to try it out!

Looks great! I'm excited to try it. :)

Shek

Finishing up some of the final maps for my demo.  Thought this one looked pretty in the editor.

Shek

December 04, 2013, 02:33:49 pm #1394 Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:08:14 pm by Shek
Just finished drawing the final boss and his room.   Now I just gotta script the fight:

Update:
IN-GAME now:

Suggestions for the fight mechanics / help is very welcome!

Sase

WhiteRose

Shek

Spoofus

Something to show off I suppose, I been messing with the battlers and trying to decide on the style I want to use.
I personally like how this way looks, but then again that is just me. *shrugs*

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Sase

@Spoofus
The sprite placement looks a little odd, also the pokemon sprites look a little off since the tileset is upscaled to 2x but the other sprites are not :)