Selena Eternia: The Angel Did Lie- Chapter 1

Started by Daxisheart, December 23, 2009, 10:54:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxisheart

December 23, 2009, 10:54:40 pm Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:34:45 pm by Daxisheart
Selena Eternia
The Angel Did Lie

By Daxisheart
Chapter 1: Bound by Fate
Gameplay Time: 2 Hours
My Website:
http://daxisheart.wordpress.com/

Downloads:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=63OTRD4M
http://rapidshare.com/files/329072621/Selena_Eternia.exe

About:: ShowHide
Selena Eternia: The Angel Did Lie is my second game I'd started on RMXP, with emphasis on gameplay and story. My previous game failed; not enough willpower to finish it, and some parts were halfassed, sorta. This game started on a lot of the remains of the last game, such as database names/stats, animations, graphics/musics, etc. Both are hugely influenced by Dark Eternal: Dissolution, which in my opinion is the best RMXP game ever, even though it's not finished. This game originally began with me and a friend of mine, but since his computer messed up(you should hear the stories about the virus attacks), he can't help anymore, and it's completely on me. He'll be a beta tester, though.

Selena Eternia is a classic and cinematic dark fantasy RPG with emphasis in gameplay and story, which will slowly reveal itself through several chapters. It is planned to be finished in 3 to 4 years. Yes, I said 3 to 4 years. I'm making realistic goals for my procrastinating self..

Story:: ShowHide
"On the precipice of reality,
Realize your coil of mortality.
Decadence of ethics and morality,
The loss of all fatality."

Twelve years ago, Zeno washed up on the shores of Tress. Now, however, Selena is gone, and Zeno goes off in search of vengeance. However, as the journey progresses, the angel Veritas appears in Zeno's dreams, and whispers wishes that are locked away...

A group that hides behind in the darkness appears, the whispered name of the Azrealites... Simple border disputes spark war again, but this time, the earth shall be fed a field of human blood... The Phantom Slasher strikes again, and his trail is ever evanescent.... Selena Eternia explores a vast and magical world where nothing is what it seems, and the blade piercing your back could be your best friend's...

characters: ShowHide
Zeno
Weapon: Sword
Background:
Was found wash up on the shores of the small town Tress 12 years ago by Selena. Grew up with her, and loved her. After she died, leaves off to kill the Phantom Slasher.
Naturally stoic, is somewhat silent and moody about the subject of selena, but those that know him know that he has a good heart. People often let him lead. Uses ellipses a bit too much.

Montague von Ezariel:
Weapon: Lance
Background:
Montague seems to have a very large legacy, courtesy of his family. However, he lives in Tress with Zeno and Selena. When Zeno leaves on his journey, Montague leaves with him.
Montague sleeps through anything, apparently. Although older, he seems to let Zeno lead. He is cynical somewhat, and much of what he says can be taken cynic pessimism or as black humor.

Corine:
Weapon: Daggers
Background:
A thief. She tries to rob Zeno in the forest, but is then caught by a monster. After being rescued by Zeno and Montague(and returning the money), she then adamantly sets off with them, a smile on her face. She seems to be more than she appears to be, particularly since having stolen an extremely large and rare gem...
She is happy and jovial, and tends to purposely act childish, particularly around Zeno. Montague tends to distrust her, since she did try to rob them.

Soren de Garde:
Background:
A childhood friend of Zeno, Montague, and Selena. He travels around the world, looking for riches. Calls himself nothing if not a vagabond. Is a bit of a player around the ladies, although considers Montague more of a lady's man than himself. Is very helpful to Zeno.

Selena:
Background:
Was the person who found Zeno. They grew up together. Selena was very poor, but still helped Zeno. Along her with kind-natured heart, she had a good sense of justice, exemplified by how she helped Zeno. This sense of justice rubbed off on Zeno.
Was killed two weeks prior to the start of the story by the world-wide known killer, the Phantom Slasher.

The Angel:
Background:
A strange being whose intentions are hidden.

The Phantom Slasher:
Background:
A world renowned serial killer of legendary status. A legendary bounty lies on his head, dead or alive. Killed Selena two weeks prior to the start of the story.

More character infos will be added once Chapter 2 is released. That'll probably be the last update on characters.

Setting:: ShowHide
The world is known as Ezalkein. Zen has the most commonly used currency for centuries.

Kathara:
The large south-eastern continent is ruled by a single country, Kathara. The continent, however, is seriously divided by a huge mountain range and desert, so the other side is usually cut off from the rest of the world. The southern edge is covered with snow and ice. The northern peninsula is where Tress and Gamotte are located, but travel from the peninsula to the capital city, is often cut off due to landslides. Supposedly, elves are located on of the forest.

Sangra:
On the southern half of the north-eastern continent is Sangra. Sangra is a very temperate country throughout, with several woods and forests within the valleys of the mountains. The north/eastern edge of the country is filled with mountain ranges, preventing direct sea trade with the Belivier capital or the trading areas of the Lost Continent. The southern tip has a port which deals in trading with the Archipelagos. Is continually in border disputes of Belivier, which occasionally flashes into war.

Belivier:
North of Sangra is Belivier. Half of the country is filled with snow and ice, but still manages to have prosperous trade with the Kathara peninsula, and is not blocked from trade with the areas of the Lost continent. A mountain range prevents direct sea trade with the Sangra countries, but also helps during the war times. Is in continual border disputes with Sangra.

The Archipelagos:
East of Kathara and south east of the country of Sangra are the renowned Archipelagos. The Great Library is located, a legendary collection of knowledge. Also on the continents is the supposed headquarters of the world-wide known Hunter Organization. Because of its location, it deals with trade of the southern lost continent and the Kathara/Sangra relations. Is somewhat isolated. Usually temperate, some mountains, swamps, and even volcanoes exist, usually isolated to certain islands.

The Lost continent:
Located on the farthest east is the vertical stretch of the Lost continent, an almost completely uninhabited continent, at least by humans. A giant mountain range crosses the continent's west shoreline, preventing much of the trade to the western world. On the top half is one of the trading areas, which deals in trade mainly to Belivier, while the southern half has a trading area to the Archipelagos, and subsequently to Kathara and Sangra. Covered by swamps, desolate windy plains, deserts, and ice.

Screenshots:: ShowHide
It's halfway a working title screen. It's the actual command title screen place thingey, and animated.

KGC Active count battle. It's pretty cool.

Some mapping.

Some more mapping
[/URL]

Menu Screen.

Features: ShowHide
KGC Active Count Battle + Addons
Considerably Good Mapping
Full MP3 Soundtrack

Custom...
Menu
Items Selection
Status
Equipment Selection
Skills Screen
Battle Selection

8 Directional movement with Dash
Ccoa's Universal Messaging System
95% Non RTP battlers

To Be Implemented:
Active/Wait Battle Choice
Party Selection Screen

Chapters:: ShowHide
Chapter 1: Bound by Fate
The introductory chapter with the awesome intro cutscene. It's the chapter where the first half of the characters are introduced. The character development is moderate, nothing special, and has a fair amount of plot hints. AN EXTREMELY LINEAR chapter, although I'm proud of the amount of puzzles I've put in, however few they are.

Time: 2 Hours of gameplay

Chapter 2: Way of the Slasher
I've got most of the story set out, but the minute details are amazingly sketchy. Exactly one map done. :P

Chapter 3: The Azrealites

Credits:: ShowHide
Game:
Anh Tuan Van/Daxisheart

Story:
Daxisheart
D'ante Jolly

Design:
Daxisheart

Data Manipulation:
Daxisheart
Naramura
Moghunter

Character Sprites:
Naramura
Enterbrain
Studio Pickel
Tokonori
Sithjester
Ccoa
Scriptkitty
Mimeso
Hot Toke
Ruruga

Battle Graphics:
Naramura
Enterbrain
Studio Pickel
Hot Toke
Qutietie

Pre-rendered Graphics:
Daxisheart
Daniel Noll
Enterbrain
Naramura
Ruruga
Ccoa
Sqaure Enix
Moghunter
KGC Software
Mgshellc
http://www.rpg-maker.fr

Scripting:
KGC Software
Ccoa
Enterbrain
Cogwheel
RPG Advocate
Leon Westbrooke
Moghunter
LegacyX
Blizzard
Rune

Music and Sounds:
Ken Nakagawa
Daisuke Achiwa
Nobuo Uematsu
The Black Mages
Tsuyoshi Sekito
Kenichiro Fukuu
Capcom
Enterbrain
Nightwish
Yasao Uragami
George R. Powell
Yoko Shinomura
Konishi Kayo
Sting
Touhou(Alstroemeria Records, Niconico, Masayoshi Minoshima, ZUN)

Beta Testing:
Daxisheart
D'ante Jolly

Special Thanks:
Everlong
Daniel Noll
Santa Samurai

Please report any bugs and glitches. Please give feedback and comments. Thank you!

Ps: The file size is 110 MB. Sorry about that.
"Oh hey look godless stuff": ShowHide
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?
god i am such an atheist asshole.

I am on such a coolkid atheist rampage this week.

Daxisheart

EDIT: I posted up new download links with the fixed demo.
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?

Ganstaquay5000

I really like the battle system from the screen shot.

Come see the revival of a 2 year old project become the next big Rpg game.
Project Destiny Calls
Project: Destiny Calls Youtube Channel

Daxisheart

Yeah, it's the ACB, Active Count battle, from KGC software. It's a pretty cool and customizable system along with its addons, which is one of the reasos I like KGC.  If I could understand scripting and japanese a bit beyond noob levels, I could have added a crap load more things, but alas...

fugibo

You don't have to add poorly translated anime subtitles to English games to make them cool. Especially when you just made them up.

Daxisheart

What are you talking about? the "Angel did lie" part? I just thought I'd add that, because I liked the sound of it. Was taken no part from anime or anything japanese, because, yes, I made it up.
So, yeah, I just added it because I though it sounded "cool." Didn't have to, but I liked it. Was that what you were talking about?

Diokatsu

RoseSkye

Rofl... I played some of it and it literally plays like he just made shit up on the spot. Seriously, I recommend everyone play this just to see how he put so much effort in something that is friggin' scattered. I mean if he had some sort of direction it would be something cool... but... it doesn't...

It's like he just opened some anime and copy pasted the dialogue. The battle system is cool, hell even the intro concept is pretty neat, the dialogue... meh.

Daxisheart

December 25, 2009, 11:06:37 pm #8 Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:07:59 pm by Daxisheart
The touhou music is bad apple. You can youtube the PV.

I do have a direction. There was a bug in the game(forgot some files), so you probably couldn't finish it. I have a very actual idea of where the plot will go, what's to happen. I personally found the dialogue to be pretty moderate, nothing epic, but I liked it.

PS: if you are basing this comment on the Intro scene, then please don't. I'm planning to make it an actual intro, not part of the actual game; like something you can skip. The part where you should start taking the dialogue seriously is after chapter 1 appears.

Forgot to mention: the game was missing some stuff when I cleaned it for size, so I'm pretty sure I added everything. The fixed(hopefully) download is up.

fugibo

Quote from: Daxisheart on December 25, 2009, 09:19:06 pm
What are you talking about? the "Angel did lie" part? I just thought I'd add that, because I liked the sound of it. Was taken no part from anime or anything japanese, because, yes, I made it up.
So, yeah, I just added it because I though it sounded "cool." Didn't have to, but I liked it. Was that what you were talking about?

It was sarcasm. I was basically insulting the subtitle. And, naturally, your tastes. But I did it in a classy way, so you should be leveling me up right now.

Daxisheart

it was sarcasm. That's why I defended why I did it; I put the subtitles there I knew because I liked it.

fugibo

Quote from: Daxisheart on December 25, 2009, 11:19:38 pm
it was sarcasm. That's why I defended why I did it; I put the subtitles there I knew because I liked it.

I was insulting your ability to like things. I was implying that you like very, very bad things, and should be restrained from liking things. Now, let's move on, please.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Daxisheart on December 25, 2009, 11:06:37 pm
The touhou music is bad apple. You can youtube the PV.

I do have a direction. There was a bug in the game(forgot some files), so you probably couldn't finish it. I have a very actual idea of where the plot will go, what's to happen. I personally found the dialogue to be pretty moderate, nothing epic, but I liked it.

PS: if you are basing this comment on the Intro scene, then please don't. I'm planning to make it an actual intro, not part of the actual game; like something you can skip. The part where you should start taking the dialogue seriously is after chapter 1 appears.

Forgot to mention: the game was missing some stuff when I cleaned it for size, so I'm pretty sure I added everything. The fixed(hopefully) download is up.

I bolded the statement that I facepalmed on. The intro scene was pretty cool... the dialogue ... eh.. not so much. The dialogue in the whole friggin game is embarrassing. It's as if you were basing everything on some sort of japanese cartoon instead of writing a script yourself. Seriously... you even did the painful dialogue that makes me cringe.

"I'm
I'm
...coming with you!"

Did you need to repeat the I'm? Seriously who in the world talks like that besides animetards? Noone. Noone talks like that unless they have a speech impediment. Your game is RIDDLED with corny crap like that and it's not cute at all. It's PAINFUL. I get queasy reading that stuff. The game wouldn't be so bad if you'd quit with the stupid anime-isms and just tell your damned story. It's somewhat original... some girl gets murdered by a serial killer two guys want to kill the serial killer. You can make that into a nice noir story filled with suspense and non-weeaboo-isms... I guess that's too much to ask though.

Daxisheart

Yeah, those places I just wanted to put some drama or something like that in there. I mean, Zeno's setting off to kill someone; it's not just something you join right off the bat, so I wanted to show some hesitation. Most places like this in the story were based off of similar things I wanted to show that I guess just came out sounding corny or animeish or whatever.

Besides, chasing after the Slasher is only the starting point of the story, at least before the backstories kick in.

fugibo

December 26, 2009, 09:01:37 am #14 Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:12:37 pm by Longfellow
So your form of hesitation is "I'm I'm."

...go find someone who's setting out to kill someone, and tell me how you hesitate. You're gonna have björking moral dilemma on your hands, kid. That necessitates a bit more than stuttering.

Daxisheart

There's also the fact that zeno and selena are montague's friends. Zeno has more resolve, thus the reason why he's going in the first place. Montague also has resolve to go as well, but he's also hesitant(I mean, you are going to kill someone.). That's why the stuttering wasn't anything big or long or anything. The reason Zeno doesn't stutter or anything is because 1) he's had a couple of weeks for the anger to really turn into cold resolve, 2) he really freaking loved Selena, and 3)he's a generally stoic guy. But I put most everything there to let the player know why, although according to roseskye it was presented in a corny way and because of all this explaining it's probably too obscure for the player to know.

Diokatsu

Alstroemeria Records, Masayoshi Minoshima, nomico and ZUN are to be credited for Bad Apple!!

fugibo

Alright, I'll leave it at this:
If you're gonna have a character named Zeno, you better have a freakin' Zeno's Paradox. Or else.

Diokatsu

Daxisheart

I can explain Zeno's name sometime during the game beyond Selena's naming of him, although it's a bit of a stretch.