[TUT] Setting up RMX-OS (under construction)

Started by Jackolas, December 27, 2009, 10:19:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackolas

December 27, 2009, 10:19:23 am Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:06:09 am by Jackolas
Under Construction, Plzz do NOT reply

1) Intro
First of all, English is not my main language, so there may be some errors in this guide. Sorry for this.

This is an extended guide to get RMX-OS to work (or a guide in plain English without the difficult terms).
If you fail to get it to work after reading this I suggest to drop it and focus on something else,
because you will never make it.

Also this guide is based on a Windows server. I can't and will not help with a linux server.
In this guide I made the server on windows vista (the hardest one) personal I suggest to build it
on one that runs Windows XP or windows 7 (but all 3 windows should work roughly the same).

2) Before starting up:
Before you start you need to know how a MMO (Massive Multiplayer online) works and
what comes in to run it.
- First of all, MMO's normally run on a server, that's a PC that's on 24h a day and is always
connected to the internet with a big bandwidth. Without it you can't run your MMO.
- Second, if you can't run this for yourself (AKA an extra pc in your home on-line for 24h a day) than
you need an online server. !!!THERE ARE NO FREE SERVERS!!! The cheapest one I found is 15 dollar a month,
For maybe 10 player support (guess why there is a monthly subscription fee for professional MMO'S).
And no, there is no way around this.

If you got a server (like me) than continue reading :P

3) What do I need?
If your reading this than I guess that you already looked into the manual that's included in blizzard
his awesome RMX-OS. If not I suggest to read it before starting. otherwise continue reading

Before we start lest first see what you need:

4) Let's get started:
4.1)Installing Ruby
First of all install the Ruby 1.8.6 somewhere on your server. This should be a straight forward job
and if you fail you can stop right here and cry in a corner. When you installed it, Extract the
Ruby 1.9.1 package to the 1.8.6 install path and replace the needed files.
Congratulations, you just installed Ruby 1.9.1.

4.2) Installing the RMX-OS server

4.3) Installing MySQL Database
Next we can get on with installing the MySQL Database. You need this becouse this is where all
the data of the players get saved, its the new save system of your game. This is also where most
people get stuck. MySQL has some nasty stuff in store. First of all you need to make sure your
logged in into the administrator account of your PC (in XP this is every account).
when your in the Administrator go ahead and install MySQL. this should be straight forward job.
until you get to a screen like below:

Spoiler: ShowHide

make sure you have "Configure the Mysql Server now" on
and the "Register the MySQL Server now" off like the screen above. and press finish.
the Configuration will pop up like below:

Press next and the next screen will appear.

make sure that you have the "Detailed Confuguration" on like the above screen and press next
you will get the following screen

Here you see 3 options. now its the time to think ahead. if the PC your installing the MySQL on
is going to run other applications than its suggested to use the top option (like in the screen shot).
If the PC is only going to run the MySQL than you can chose one of the other 2 options. If you made
your selection press next and it will change to the following screen:

For RMX-OS you need to select the "Multifunctional Databas". If you selected this press next

Next you get to chose where the database will be saved. personal I suggest somewhere you can
find it back easily. I installed mine into the Database folder of the "RMX-OS Server" map, but any
place will do. if done, press next

This screen you need to decide how many people will connect to your server at the same time.
Its kinda the server limit. For a starting server I suggest to have around 20 peep and chose the
top option "Decision Support (DSS)/OLAP". If you want to have more people than chose the lower
option "Manual Setting" and fill in the right amount of people. Remember that the more people are
connecting to your server the more bandwidth it will take.

In the next screen make sure that "Enable TCP/IP Networking" is turned on or else the whole server
might crash. for simple keep the port that is put up (3306). Also if your not a star in Firewalls make
sure that "add firewall exception for this port" is turned on.
Also make sure that "Enable Strict Mode" is on. than press next.

next up is setting up the Default Characters.
just enable "Best Support for Multilingualism" and everything should work fine. Press next

This screen is to set up the Windows Service. put both "Install As Windows Service" and
"Include Bin Directory in Windows PATH" on
also make sure that Service Name: is set to MySQL.
to automatic start up the database when windows start enable "Launch the MySQL Server automatically"
This is Recommended because lots of stuff can go wrong starting it manual every time.
Press next when ready

The next 1 is important. this is where you set up the Root password. YOU NEED THIS PASS LATER so write it down.
Make sure that "Modify Security Settings" is on and fill in a password.
Do NOT turn "Enable root access from remote Machines" and "Create An Anonymous Account"
when you filled in the pass press on next

Now is the moment of truth and to see if you followed the tutorial.
if everything is correct than the Database will be set up as soon as you press Execute.
Press Execute and see what happens.

If everything is done correctly you will see 4 blue V in the circles.
if the wizard is stopped at "Start Service" or a error popped up look into the FAQ 1.1
Otherwise, Congratulations. you just successfully created the hardest thing of RMX-OS

Managing the MySQL database

Jackolas

December 27, 2009, 10:19:45 am #1 Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:31:10 am by Jackolas
Reserved for setting up the game itself

Jackolas

December 27, 2009, 10:19:59 am #2 Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:31:23 am by Jackolas
Reserved for other stuff

Jackolas

December 27, 2009, 10:53:28 am #3 Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:31:32 am by Jackolas
Reserved for FAQ

Turbocookie

thanks for replying to my posts.
good luck with your tutorial. looks GREAT so far :) im following it fine atm.
keep it up!

Aqua

*ignores the do not reply message*

If you don't want anyone else applying, I could lock the topic temporarily (I think you'd still be able to edit), then I could unlock when you're ready...
If you want XD

Also, if you want, I could do a spellcheck run when you're done.

Anyway... great job on this; the screenshots are really nice :)
Keep up the good work.

*probably only time where I don't freak out for quadruple posting*

Jackolas

Lock would be great :P
think this gone take 1-2 days

also I would love that you could do a spell check on the end:P

and thanks. am trying to make this one in a way so nobody post up in the RMX-OS topic asking help setting up the server :S

Blizzard

*takes a look at the topic*

Nice writing the installation guide from the manual with more words.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Jackolas

QuoteNice writing the installation guide from the manual with more words.

I hope the extra words help :S because atm we get every week a wimp asking for help setting up a server.

also not sure to take that comment as positive or negative....  :hm:

Turbocookie

Is there any way i can help? i finally got mine set up. was a little confusing at first but i got it. i had a problem my command box was broken so i couldnt open the ruby scripts it would automatically close. i found a work around that if anyone else has a problem.

Blizzard

Quote from: Jackolas on December 28, 2009, 06:48:43 am
QuoteNice writing the installation guide from the manual with more words.

I hope the extra words help :S because atm we get every week a wimp asking for help setting up a server.

I've come to the conclusion that too many words confuse people even more than not enough words.

Quote from: Jackolas on December 28, 2009, 06:48:43 am
also not sure to take that comment as positive or negative....  :hm:

Take it as both. xD But it's not your fault that people have problems following simple directions.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

whitespirits

hi i opened my port to 8080 on my router for my computer under 192.168.1.73, and setup an dns address linked to my IP, my 8080 port is only open on tcp not unp dunno if that matters but my friend says it shows as offline and that he was rufused by connection? any ideas guys

Jackolas

there is a special way of making your server work over the internet without hamashi...
you should ask the peep who managed to do it so.

WhiteRose

Quote from: whitespirits on February 23, 2010, 04:25:33 pm
hi i opened my port to 8080 on my router for my computer under 192.168.1.73, and setup an dns address linked to my IP, my 8080 port is only open on tcp not unp dunno if that matters but my friend says it shows as offline and that he was rufused by connection? any ideas guys

192.168.1.73 is a local address. You have to give your friend your public IP.

King_Ooga_TonTon

This looks really awesome! I'm sure a lot of server-newbies (myself included) will find this very helpful.
When do you think you'll have the next section up?

Jackolas

life is kinda upside down and not feeling like sitting down atm and finish this...
so it can be in 1 week. but can also be in 1 month :S

Kett Shee

*Finally gets RMX-OS to work*  :D Very good tut!
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

keyboardlover96

I have done exactly as you wrote and i succeeded, but when I open up the client, there's no servers there...what is wrong?  :(

Zexion

how exactly would i remove sql from my computer completely  because i set it up once, and then messed it up or something and it wouldn't work anymore... and since then i could not for the life of me learn to remove it,because it is always there even if i delete it and re install.

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script