The "Post your Desktop" Thread

Started by Fantasist, January 08, 2008, 02:49:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

In the spirit of my fan game, I have decided to change my background. Eventually it will contain the characters of my game haha.
Spoiler: ShowHide

WhiteRose

It looks good! I also like the way that you've organized your icons. I do that same kind of thing, but I usually just use the Windows Libraries thing.

Praelium

My desktop is a mess right now and I really need to clean it up. But here is print screen. Don't mind the messy folders and the random sound files, that's almost all school stuff.

Warning: I have a triple monitor setup using Eyefinity, so the resolution is huge compared to usual setups.

WhiteRose

It would be awesome to have that much screen real estate! What video card are you using?

Praelium

Quote from: WhiteRose on March 02, 2014, 06:44:56 pm
It would be awesome to have that much screen real estate! What video card are you using?

One standard clocked Radeon HD5850. All the monitors are VGA. It's part of my budget PC. I might post a topic about it once I cleaned my desk.

R.A.V.S.O

I just realized I never got to post on this thread, well here's mine:

(it's kinda big so for the sake of compression here's a handy spoiler tab.

btw, sorry for the necroposting, I would have uploaded more recently but I didn't have this PC before.
Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Zexion

March 15, 2014, 02:18:41 pm #666 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 02:19:59 pm by Zexion
It's not really considered necro on these kinds of topics :P

Also, What is dolphin version 2?

R.A.V.S.O

March 15, 2014, 02:50:19 pm #667 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:09:19 pm by R.A.V.S.O
It's a modded Dolphin to run Melee faster and smoother,

I also tried to run tales of the abyss but it glitches at the very first battle
Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Zexion

Where can I get the modded one? I actually mainly use dolphin for ssbm, so it would be nice to have a special one for that. Unless it is just configured to run it, then nvm because I already did that haha

Praelium

Here is a picture of my desktop after "cleaning" and installing Rainmeter. The wallpaper itself is self-made, since there are no good wallpapers for these kinds of resolutions.

3840x1024: ShowHide

Ryex

the current laptop set up, Arch Linux + Gnome 3.whatever the latest is
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on March 17, 2014, 12:49:29 am

I love it. :D

@Praelium: That's exactly the type of wallpaper I like to use on my phone; I'm surprised that there aren't more out there like it. Yours seems really well done, especially considering you made it yourself!

Praelium

Quote from: WhiteRose on March 17, 2014, 01:13:53 am
Quote from: Ryex on March 17, 2014, 12:49:29 am

I love it. :D

@Praelium: That's exactly the type of wallpaper I like to use on my phone; I'm surprised that there aren't more out there like it. Yours seems really well done, especially considering you made it yourself!

I have not made the rainmeter overlays. So the entire center piece is not at all my creation. It is mainly "A-TECH", a rainmeter skin, that gives my clean desktop the look it has. The wallpaper itself is but the blue circles and the texture, with proper lighting. If you like those things, you should definately check out Rainmeter. They are often functional and animated.

Ryex

Well this might sound crazy as from the screen shot there wont be all that much of a difference, but I've finally perfected my desktop environment on my laptop

you'll notice two differences from my previous screen shot. one, there are now icons on the desktop and two that terminal windows has some transparency. now I could of had desktop icons before but if I had used them it would of opened gnome's default file manager nautilus. I dislike nautilus.

Instead Iv set my system up so that the default file manager is nemo from Mint's cinnamon desktop. the problem is that nautilus is built into gnome in that it manages the icons on the desktop, this meas it bypasses the default manager and opens the file/folders with itself. I had to disable this behavior and set nemo to do it. that was the easy part.

you see, in cinnamon nemo doesn't handle the wallpaper but in gnome nautilus does. and due to an idiosyncrasy between the window composting manager difference between gnome and cinnamon it was drawing a solid black window over the wallpaper, which is still handled by nautilus, instead of the transparent one it would draw in cinnamon. to fix this I had to get gnome to enable transparency again (a feature they took out for some godforsaken reason a version or two back). and after HOURS of research I finally found a way to do that.

now the un-informed among you are probably thinking "good lord why would you go through all that trouble to get icons on your desktop? what so special about them" well I didn't, you see if I had stuck with the default I could of had handy dandy icons with no effort on my part. but this is linux and I can do what I want. I can replace every dam part I so choose with an alternative that fits me. suck it.

(tl;dr I just did the equivalent of replacing windows's windows explorer in gnome and I'm supper happy with myself cause now I don't feel like I'm missing part of my computer)
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Zexion

I've been re-arranging my desktop again. I really like the ubuntu default desktop and wanted to create something similar to it, so I managed to find these graphics that all work well together. Also added Aero Glass for Windows 8.1 :D
Thumb:

Direct Link to the original
http://i.imgur.com/8wUUA2s.jpg

orochii

Um... there it goes. It's pretty messy, and it's not that hard to clean it up. But some people say that a messy desktop says more about its owner than a clean one (?), so I left it like that for the pic.

Two screens, and main is on the right side. I feel more comfy that way. Dunno. Having program icons more centered, maybe? And I feel that looking for the clock is easier too (even if it's farthest from anything, but it's easier to think on the corner than the middle, idk).

Ryex

May 25, 2014, 03:49:51 am #676 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:07:36 pm by Ryex
I've been changing around a lot lately. anyway this is just your basic Windows 8.1 desktop + Rainmeater.
Warnimg, Large dual monitor image: ShowHide

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Ryex on May 25, 2014, 03:49:51 am
I've been changing around a lot lately. anyway this is just your basic Windows 8.1 desktop + Rainmeater.
Warnimg, Large dual monitor image: ShowHide

No image is displaying, is that the public Dropbox link?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

Should be fixed.

Also I dual boot so here is the desktop in Arch. I have to code that little system monitor over there. conky is great but I had to do a lot of scraping of cli commands pipeing them through sed and awk ect to get the numbers out.

Ryex

ok, so I decided to redo my laptop, I ended up putting win8 on it a few months back because reasons, but I set it up to dual boot from the start. I had only really gotten Arch set up about half way so linux was kinda unusable and I never felt like fixing it till now. This time I figured I'd try out Elementary OS it's kinda a fork of ubuntu but not really as they have written the DE, Window Manager, LightDM greeter, ect. themselves from scratch (well, as scratch as you can get in opensource when your useing preexisting tech as your backed.). They have also written themselves a suite of basic costume apps like a file manager, a music player, a separate movie player, a gedit like text editor that isn't horribly broken like the new gedit in GNOME 3.10+, A Terminal that for once doesn't feel flawed in someway (transparency is broken in gnome, konsole in KDE is just plain clunky, XFCE's term while good feels lacking in design.), a Calender app that I actually like for once cause it feels modern instead of stuck in 1998. Whats more they had to clone a few things like the gnome system menu but redid it in a way where it is easily extendable, (believe it or not all the settings panels in GNOME are hard coded with detection, not plugins) and a few other things. on the whole, it is the first linux OS (INCLUDING UBUNTU, MINT, FEDORA) to present a truly coherent feeling of completeness. completeness of both vision and functionality.

Elementary OS is freaking beautiful.
Warning, Large amounts of Kb and Beauty ahead: ShowHide

It's designed from the ground up to be beautiful, it developers went so far as to write a NEW WINDOW MANAGER (gala) AND DE (pantheon) JUST for their OS. seriously, GNOME and KDE have kinda been defacto for so long that a new one was kinda out of the question for most dev grops, if you needed something lighter or different you went with lxde of xfce. there are so many DE's out there for linux (GNOME, KDE, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXDE, Mate, Openbox, Awesome, I3, and more) that writing a new one that was actuary different or innovative was grounds enough for me to be a fan.
The result is a combination of GNOME, Ubuntu's Unity, and OSX's classic layout that feels like it own thing. I've finally found a DE I truly LOVE on Linux. (as soon as someone manages to port it over to Arch my desktop is going Panthon too.

TLDR; Elementary OS truly feels like a DESIGNED OS instead of a "combination of parts that works well together" and I'm proud to have it on my laptop.