College Major...

Started by C.C. rOyAl, January 12, 2010, 07:08:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

C.C. rOyAl

Ok first of all, im only in 8th grade, but its never too early to start thinking about a career you want right?  :^_^':

Anyway in my Career Investigations class were, well, investigating our career. I know I want to be a proffesional Concept Artist for games, but what do I major in? I go to a bunch of college's websites and I see graphic design, game design and development, illustration, etc...

Soo the question is... what should I major in?  :???:
Spoiler: ShowHide

tSwitch

I'm pretty sure none of us can decide that for you.

It's not uncommon for college students to switch majors numerous times, don't worry about it right now, you're not even in Highschool yet.

You still have at least 4 more years of general education left, and 4 more years to grow up and you might be a -very- different person then.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Aqua

I'm a Junior in HS and have NO CLUE in what I wanna major.
XP

shdwlink1993

I too am a junior in HS, and I've only narrowed it down to that it will involve a computer in some fashion.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Ryex

woh slow down there my friend.
I too was fairly sure what I wanted to be when I was in 8th grade. then i Got into hight school and realized that i knew next to nothing about the world. I've only really narrowed what degree I wanted in the last half a year. (I'm a senior in high school btw, 12th grade) I don't really think you should be worrying about such things right now.

however none of the above really answers your question. as for how you find the right degree for your job... well... there might be several degrees that could get your the same job.
the only real way to know is to talk to some one in the field your interested in and first off find out if it is really for you and second find out what degrees that person has and what degrees other people have who have the same job.

from the sound of that job I would say your looking at a BFA (Bachelor's in Fine Arts) not a BA (Bachelor's of Arts) in the area of graphic design and a focus in digital media.

but really you should wait before setting your heart on a career.  in the next 4 years it is very likely that your interests will change. on the same note don't close any doors on opportunity that sound even remotely interesting. explore and find something fun that you know you won't regret doing for your entire life.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Diokatsu

I already know a few things that I want to major in. So it's not something you should worry about, but don't just ignore it either.

C.C. rOyAl

Thanks guys, I guess you all are right. When this thing called "Shadow Day" comes along, I will look for a localish concept artist and see if I can shadow them. On shadow day we just find someone to follow the whole day

BTW nice sig Dio  :)

Diokatsu

Shadowing is a great way to see if you enjoy the work of a certain field. I recommend it highly. and thanks, you want one? :p

C.C. rOyAl

That would be beast if you could  :)

shdwlink1993

Quote from: C.C. rOyAl on January 13, 2010, 09:53:35 pm
When this thing called "Shadow Day" comes along, I will look for a localish concept artist and see if I can shadow them. On shadow day we just find someone to follow the whole day

Hurray for legitimate reasons to stalk people!
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

C.C. rOyAl

MeVII

February 15, 2010, 12:36:28 am #11 Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 12:40:59 am by MeVII
In 4th grade I read an article about a kid that made his own board game and had it produced and sold. That day I made a board game, and wanted to make a game of my own ever since.

In 8th grade I decided I wanted to be a teacher.
I hated school, but revered some teachers in my school for being different and treating students different, with respect, empathy, and value.
I knew I wanted to do the same, and thought as much at the time.
So I did so.
I am a college grad, with an education degree. I have taught for years.

Here I am then, both passions alive and well. I am a teacher, who has changed the trajectory of hundreds of students being an honorable teacher, and with hundreds of dollars in unique board games I've collected, I've designed several (none marketed), and Im hacking away at an RPG here as well.

The advice here is by no means "wrong". You do indeed have time, many things can change, you have a lot to do, much to experience, and even more to suffer. These things will have an impact on you.

So, I agree in part. "Slow Down", learn to know yourself. Learn to perceive the difference between a like and a passion, an interest, and a thirst. There are tens of thousands boys that want to make video games, because they are interesting. (Recent polls for your age bracket show computer programming / game designer is actually #1 for boys). Out of them, less have a passion for it. Discover the difference in yourself.

I also disagree. Becoming a teacher was no interest for me. It was a passion. It was not what I thought I wanted, its what I knew I wanted. Its what I wanted to become, and do ... I  had a thirst to make a positive difference in the lives of students, the same way some teachers of mine impacted me. So I knew, I decided, in 8th grade ... and no amount of life, or events, or experiences, or growth could change that passion. So, inversely, if it truly is, what you want to live your life and die doing, and you know that now, do not, slow down.

No matter what you decide, "If your job is what you love, you will never work a day in your life." That's one of the few clichés that's real. Do not choose something for money, or for an easy degree to attain, just to get a job. You'll be miserable beyond words. (Except if your shallow enough that you love money, then you wont care what your doing so long as you make as much money as you crave. You wont be miserable, but you will be hollow.)

As far as the technical aspects of schools, study and what you should major in, Ryexander clearly gave the best advise regarding the actual strategic nuts and bolts behind fleshing out a major/degree and etc. That's nothing but good tactics there.

All the best to you.

MeVII