Is this even possible?

Started by Pragz, December 27, 2009, 11:26:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pragz

Okay, this is probably going to sound very confusing, but... try to stick with me. o 3o

Okay, so there's this site called Midorea. It's got a browser-based RPG-Battle system thing coded into it. You have characters that fight creatures and do quests and all this other stuff. It's pretty fun.

However, I was thinking... Is it possible to turn an RMXP game into a flash .SWF file which gets info from the site's database?

/stares at the big question mark that popped up over your head

Okay, so here's a more in-depth description if you didn't get that:

Let's start with the Flash file thing. So you have a game all done and ready for play. Is there any way to make that into a Flash file so you can play the game online? Like, you go to a page and the game loads and you play. Like, well... every internet game out there. XD

Now here's the confusing part. On the site, people have characters. These characters already have Strength, Intelligence, Health, etc. programmed in. Is it possible by any means to get that info from the database into the game? I know it will require some kind of script, SQL, and a shit ton of other stuff too, but... Yeah, is it at all possible? I'll worry about the technicalities if it is.

And that's mainly it. Are these things possible?

winkio

There's no reason to use flash if the game is already built in RMXP.  Just put up a download link and people can install and play outside of their browser.

Additionally, http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,3869.0.html

Pragz

Assembling it in flash would skip the install process. I'm quite certain the game would be more heavily played if they just clicked a link and a page popped up with the game playing. Some people are a little paranoid when it comes to installing stuff. o 3o

Also, RMX-OS is not what I'm looking for. I don't want to make a multiplayer game, but instead just port stuff from the site's database to the game. Specifically just a few variables to determine the stats of the character and some inventory stuff.

Blizzard

Seriously, if you want to make a flash game, you have no business with actual game creation software. And RMXP isn't even actual game creation software. If you want to do something like this, do it right. Nobody wants another crappy game like Runescape.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

in short, no this is impossible if you want to make a browser based game user flash or java.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

edwardthefma

Ryexander dont throw the idea out so fast saying it is impossible
to do such a thing you would need a rgss player that was built with java or flash
right now no such item exists because enterbrain refuses to release the source code

i am the lead dev for the shellium mmorpg project
http://wiki.shellium.org/w/Mmorpg
shellium.org :) free linux shells pm me and i will gladly
help you get 1

Pragz

Well, I managed to get the game to show in Flash. Controls aren't working though. All that happens is the title screen plays. Guh, I'm probably going to have to assemble the scripts in flash and put them into the game's database instead of just having them go in. In fact, pretty much every part needs to be assembled to make it work... Might as well just make a custom flash game. XD

Kk, thanks guys! This can be closed/locked/whatever.

Blizzard

It's not really impossible (nothing really is), but it's a stupid idea. It's like installing Linux and then running Windows on a VM without ever using Linux. If you want to use Windows, use Windows and not Windows running on Linux. -_-
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.