Interlacing

Started by Calintz, January 19, 2010, 10:50:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

Ladies and gentlemen,

I was hoping that someone could enlighten me as to what interlacing does for graphics? I understand how interlacing helps videos, but does interlacing aid in the quality of still images in any way? I am concerned, because when saving .png format files with photoshop I am asked whether or not I want my materials interlaced. I don't see why this helps still images.. .. ..does it?

Aqua

Interlace shows the image progressively from bad quality to full quality.

Without interlacing, pngs would load line by line pixels at full quality as the data is downloaded.
Interlacing would show the entire image at once, but VERY simplified in blocks of colors.  Then as the data downloads, the blocks of color become smaller and more diverse, until the whole image is in its tiny pixel-sized boxes.

Personally, I like interlacing, but I always forget to do it! XD

Calintz

As far as RMXP, interlacing is irrelevant though?

Aqua

Wow, you reply fast.

Yes, it's irrelevant.
(I think)

Calintz

Lol, thanks. =D.
I only wanted to know because using interlacing increases the files size by a noticeable degree. If the resources don't need interlacing, then I see no point in adding the extra file size. Makes the game a faster download in the end.

Blizzard

not interlaced: ShowHide

interlaced: ShowHide

I hope your connection is slow enough so you can see the difference in image loading.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

Lol, it's not.
I have one of the fastest services in my area.. .. ..

A cable connection at 100mbs
Thank you for trying though, Lol.