Getting Certain Index of String (resolved)

Started by G_G, January 23, 2010, 12:45:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

January 23, 2010, 12:45:05 am Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:55:33 am by game_guy
I know how to do it in RGSS. I've done it before. And it'd really help out here for a cool idea I have. Anyways pretty much I'm trying to get a certain letter or index from a string.
Example:
"Apple" - I may just one to get the A, or the P, or LE. Is it possible to do this?

winkio

IndexOf will get you the index
with the index, the easiest way would be to use Substring to get the characters you need.

G_G

Okay that sorta helps. I was just about to edit my post to be more explanitory as well.

See in my program its not gonna be apple. Its going to be a number. For example. A text box will consist of this.
"1679"
Pretty much the program will be asking for a passcode using a simple algorithm.
*1st is random between 0-9
*2nd is 1st + 5. If over 10 choose 1's digit.
*3rd is 1st+2nd. If over 10 choose 1's digit.
*4th is 3rd + 2. If over 10 choose 1's digit.
So when the code is checked its going to get the string of 1st+5. If its over 10 I need to get the last number. Aka the ones digit. But its still all a string.

Example:
1st: 8
2nd: 8+5=13 ~ Instead of the 2nd number being 13 it'll be 3. Just getting the ones digit.
3rd: 8+3=11 ~ Instead of the 3rd number being 11 it'll be 1. Just getting the number from the ones digit.
And so on.

Really how would I just get the 1's digit?

winkio

strings have a handy property called Length.  if the ones digit is at the end of the string, just call a substring for the last character:

string s = "12341"
string ones = s.Substring(s.Length-1)

(don't need the second argument of substring because we are already at the end of the string)

Your other option, of course, would be to parse it to an integer, then perform % 10, then convert the result back to a string.

G_G

Oh wow thanks winkio that really worked! Phew, I've had a brain blockage here for awhile >__> thanks :)