ZAP!

Started by This Side Backwards, January 27, 2010, 07:46:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

This Side Backwards

January 27, 2010, 07:46:05 pm Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:49:43 am by This Side Backwards

Ver. 2.5

ZAP! is a shoot 'em up game which pulls most of its inspiration from the Space Invaders series. Though the main goal of clearing the screen of enemies is the same, ZAP! has a few differences. First off! Each enemy has a different amount of HP, making some harder to kill than others. Also, each enemy plays a specific role, be it to defend others by shielding them, to shoot back at you, or even to just fly around aimlessly. The only power ups you'll find are weapons which each serve a different purpose.

Spoiler: ShowHide

CONTROLS
Arrow Keys :: Moving
Space Bar :: Shoot
...and that's pretty much it!

Power ups will appear at random, they can be very useful depending on the situation. As soon as a power up is equipped, you Power Bar will start to decrease, when the Power Bar reaches zero, you'll switch back to your standard Laser. Shooting with a power up will cause the Power Bar to drain more quickly, avoid shooting in the air if you want to keep your power up for a longer period of time. Also, collecting a power up will completely refill your Power Bar.

Rings have no effect on you, they do, however, increase your point count. If you want to set a highscore, try and get as many as possible! Otherwise, you can just leave them be. Rings appear at random which means that you may have to get lucky to beat your highscore.

Time is crucial to completing a stage. If the two minutes that you are given runs out, you fail the stage. Time may not be a problem for the first few stages, but it will become a pest in the later few. Time converts to points at the end of a stage, the quicker the stage is finished, the more points will be awarded.

Accuracy is extremely important if your playing for score. You will get a mark depending on your accuracy along with a score multiplier. The higher the mark, the higher the multiplier.

Highscores will be saved for each stage, it isn't necessary to go for highscores, but it can be amusing.

Saving is important if you don't want to lose your current progress. Saving will also ensure that your highscores are kept. There are four savefiles, highscores cannot be transferred amongst them.

5 HP
These are basic shooters, they have fast moving single shots which are rather easy to dodge.

10 HP
These are higher level shooters, they have fast moving double shots which cover a wider area making them slightly harder to dodge than a normal shot.

20 HP
These have the highest HP, they have slow moving shots which are easy to dodge alone, but when combined with other shooters, they make it rather hard to plan an out.

15 HP
These are blockers, they are often in front of the shooters and will take hits for them, allowing them to get more shots off without getting hit themselves.

15 HP
These are flyers, they will flap around the screen with no specific purpose. They may get in the way sometimes and are rather hard to pick off when on their own.

Blast
This will allow you to fire shots which will explode on contact and damage all enemies within its blast radius. This makes it excellent for groups of enemies, but rather useless for single enemies.

Paralyzer
This will allow you to fire shots which will temporarily paralyze the target. Paralyzed enemies cannot move or attack. This makes it great for shooting of single enemies, but less effective on large groups of enemies.

Double
This will allow you to fire off two shots at once, causing double damage upon impact. This is effective for both groups of enemies and for single enemies.

Arcade Mode
Play through each level in order. Completing a stage will unlock it for Stage Select Mode.

Stage Select Mode
Play through any unlocked stage. Try to beat your high scores!

-Laser wastes no power, shoot as many times as you want!
-Dinking around the sides of the stages to avoid shots is an okay technique, but you'll waste time doing it.
-Arcade mode starts off from the beginning of the next stage you have not yet beaten. This means that you can opt to switch to the main menu between stages to save, and start at the next stage. Useful if you don't want to play for extended periods of time.
-Lives are worth more points than rings are, don't risk them to gain a few more points.
-Get rid of the closest shooters first, you'll then have more time between enemy shots to hit the farther ones.
-Use your power ups properly, if you have Blast, go for the large groups of enemies.
-Using power ups like Blast and Double can greatly help you accuracy mark.
-Finishing a stage quickly can earn you more points, but one ring earns you as many points as 10 seconds... It's up to you to gauge which is worth more.

:: Stage 1

:: Stage 2

:: Stage 3

:: Stage 4

:: Stage 5

:: Score

:: Gameplay Gif

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jGJBwlxgyc

http://download655.mediafire.com/jzh85yyyykTg/tywnzjnqntm/ZAP%21+v2.5.zip

SCRIPTS
Blizz ABS :: Blizzard http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1
Tons of Addons :: Blizzard http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1
Z-HUD :: Blizzard http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1
Rapid Fire :: Blizzard http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1

Weapons Use Skills :: Ryex http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=17

Custom Game Over :: Jackolas http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?action=profile;u=373

MUSIC
Enter the Party :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
Funkorama :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
Just Nasty :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
C-Funk :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
Fork and Spoon :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
Funky One :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/
Protofunk :: Kevin Macloed http://incompetech.com/

RTP
SFX :: Enterbrain http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/

GRAPHICS, GAME DESING AND THE REST
Me! (Formerly Sourseb) :: THIS SIDE BACKWARDS thissidebackwards.cz.cc

Did I forget you? Please let me know if I did.
Scripters feel free to use the screenshots in your topics.

Subsonic_Noise

I haven't read through all of this, but I already love this because of the graphics.
So, lvl up and "I'll try it as soon as possible", which means that I'll forget und then, some months later, find this thread again, remember that I promised you to test it, but then forget about it again.

Aqua

Niiiiiiicccceeeeeeeeee~

What a great idea to show off the range of stuff Blizz-ABS can do.

Oh and just because you asked... I'm not moving this to the Projects/Games folder! >8I
:V:

C.C. rOyAl

January 27, 2010, 08:00:45 pm #3 Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:12:58 pm by C.C. rOyAl
HA isn't that ironic, I just made a 3 level Vertical Shooter today in Flash for school  ;)
Yours looks SO much cooler though, dl right now

EDIT: Ok so for my critique, personally I hate vertical shooters that have a fast rapid fire, you should have slowed it down so that it actually takes more skill to win, by skill i mean trigger finger). And also it lags if you constantly hold down the rapid fire, so in my honest opinion i give it a 4/5 overall. and a 3/5 for gameplay, but thats mostly because i like having my awesome trigger finger. :D

This Side Backwards

Calintz

Looks extremely fun!!

Blizzard

Downloading. I'll play it as soon as I get the chance (probably today).

EDIT: OMG, THAT'S Z-HUD?! <3
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

This Side Backwards

Quote from: Blizzard on January 28, 2010, 05:45:54 am
EDIT: OMG, THAT'S Z-HUD?! <3

You can use it as a screeny if you want...

Hellfire Dragon

January 28, 2010, 12:39:22 pm #8 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:53:33 pm by Hellfire Dragon
Looks very nice :o Downloading it now ;)

EDIT: Can't get past the 'How to Play' screen :P Seriously, it won't go away no matter what I press, just pops up after I hit New Game and won't go.

This Side Backwards

January 28, 2010, 01:08:16 pm #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:12:30 pm by Sourseb
Quote from: Hellfire Dragon on January 28, 2010, 12:39:22 pm
EDIT: Can't get past the 'How to Play' screen :P Seriously, it won't go away no matter what I press, just pops up after I hit New Game and won't go.

It should go away by pressing [Space]...
I'll check and see...

{Got it} What may have happened is that you might have (assuming here) pressed some other button before space (a button that was still assigned to something unused in Blizz ABS... I'll fix that and a little menu problem and post a new version. Thanks!

Oh, and if that still doesn't work...I'll find a different way to make that screen...

Lost King

January 28, 2010, 01:20:58 pm #10 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:24:04 pm by Lost King
This is actually pretty awesome, but I do agree with C.C. that the fire rate should be a little slower. Testing during school, games aren't allowed, so I didn't get through all of it, but it looked pretty easy if you just hold space and move back and forth.

EDIT: I love space invader styled games, so adding more levels would just make my day ;D
*Scribble Scribble* Oh right, not that sort of signature.

This Side Backwards

January 28, 2010, 03:40:09 pm #11 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:54:44 pm by Sourseb
Followed suggestions and removed Rapid Fire. Also added an accuracy system for those of you who like your trigger fingers! Having good accuracy now greatly influences score as it acts as a multiplier. I'll get a screenshot of the new stage score screen. Oh! And there is virtually no more lag on the stages that used to have it (enemy reduction and no more rapid fire) however you may notice it a bit if there is 6 or more shots fire (from enemies) at a time (this should only happen on a few levels. Thanks for all the great suggestions! It's made the game a lot better!

{Edit} :: Got the new screen up.

Aqua

I pressed Esc and accessed menu stuff (Blizz-ABS premenu, Scene_Menu)... don't think that's supposed to happen XD

This Side Backwards

January 28, 2010, 04:15:28 pm #13 Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:38:05 pm by Sourseb
Quote from: Aqua on January 28, 2010, 04:12:47 pm
I pressed Esc and accessed menu stuff (Blizz-ABS premenu, Scene_Menu)... don't think that's supposed to happen XD

X_X ooops...Heh, I'll fix that and post a new one...thanks for finding it!

{Edit} :: Fixed! New Version is up. Thanks again!

Blizzard

January 29, 2010, 05:36:26 am #14 Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:42:51 am by Blizzard
Quote from: Sourseb on January 28, 2010, 03:40:09 pm
Followed suggestions and removed Rapid Fire.

As if the game wasn't hard enough. #_#
But lag reduction sounds good. BTW, I got to the next level even when I died in Arcade mode. IDK if somebody already mentioned it and if you fixed it already, but I thought I should let you know.

Also, It would be a good idea if you used Blizz-ABS default controls and left the RMXP default controls on as well. That way people could play with arrows + Space and WASD + K.

One small thing at the end. I noticed that that eventing could use a little bit of work. i.e. for a short moment I get to see the level layout when the screens are switching, etc. Just rework the "scene switching" a bit and it should be fine. Luckily it seems only to be graphical. I wasn't able to break it. Well, except for the controls/info screen at the beginning. IDK, I kept pressing some buttons and suddenly it froze. >.< I wasn't able to ALT+F4 and had to close it via task manager. It didn't cause "Script is hanging" which is even weirder. o.o;

As for the game itself, it's quite fun, but a little bit monotone since you don't have much change during gameplay. The version I played was alright in difficulty except for stage 5. I'm not entirely sure, but I think stage 5 was mathematically impossible to beat. O_o

*uses screenshot in the Z-HUD thread* :V:

EDIT: Just noticed the freeze on "How to play" was already reported. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

This Side Backwards

@ Blizzard
Some of the problems from the first version were removed, with the removal of rapid fire also came the removal of most enemies. Also, each stage now has different time limits to accommodate these changes. I've never encountered any freezing problems with the "How to Play" screen but I have noticed that it tends to lag a bit for me (switching). I'll look into it for the next version. Scene switching can definitely be improved and I'll include both button schemes (never thought about that!).

Oh, and level 5 is no longer impossible! With the change in gameplay, it is now possible to beat it (less enemies, more time).

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll try to implement as many as possible in the next release.

Starrodkirby86

Definitely epic. A delightful thing to see after logging in from all the chaos. :)

I love your consistency with the graphics and all. The timer's font is my only pet peeve though, as it's quite far away from the techno sort of theme~

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Ryex

January 30, 2010, 01:11:02 pm #17 Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:33:21 pm by Ryexander
this is a great way to use my weapons use skills addon!
*downloads*

EDIT:
there is a weird bug where if you get far enough in stage 1 and die or time out you still get to stage two

EDIT2:
this bug is on the other stages two I believe it happens if you get to the last map in a stage and time out or die you still get to the next stage
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

C.C. rOyAl

January 30, 2010, 05:25:40 pm #18 Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 07:18:04 pm by C.C. rOyAl
Ok im dl the new version right now, ty for making changes!

EDIT: I like it, but it would be better with an animation being played when you get hit with a missile, I keep dying with out realizing I have like no lives left lol

Ryex

I think you should also have it so that if you get hit you are imune for a second
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

This Side Backwards

@ Ryex

I forgot to put the switches in the right spot, hence allowing you to start over at the next level without having finished the first completely, I'll fix that for the next release. And after getting hit, you are immune, except it's only for a very short period of time, I'll change it so that it's a bit longer in the next release.

@ C.C. Royal

When you get hit the whole background changes and displays the words "HIT" (see screenshots). Also, there should be a small animation on the player, I'll check and see if it's working as it should. Also, in the top left corner, a little "Watch It!" and DANGER!" flashes on and off if you have low life (two or one life left) (see screenshots). Also, if you have sound on, you hear heartbeats when you reach 2 lives, and they get louder when you only have one life left. I'll possibly make a larger animation for the player when hit to make it more obvious (it's currently the same as enemies).

I'll definitely take both into account though, I'll make changes probably next weekend and release a new version then. Thanks again guys!

This Side Backwards

::::Version 2.5 is now out::::

Fixed level skipping bug, score box frames (they now include all the text and do not cut off any). Also made longer immunity times and updated the menu screen.