Why help?

Started by winkio, January 31, 2010, 04:06:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

January 31, 2010, 04:06:24 am Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:43:15 pm by winkio
Let's assume that I have the ability to create any game that I want.  Why should I help other people make their games?  I could see, perhaps, distributing code used in your game to the public, but why go out of your way to help someone else?

I don't know, I just don't get it.  The best I can come up with is if you need a break from your work, or maybe if another project interests you, or doing a favor for a friend, or possible even to help teach newbies.  The argument of giving my services in exchange for something is to be ignored, as we assume I already have all the skills/money that I need, and that thus, this work is done free of charge.

What are your thoughts?

(this is kinda an intelligent debate crossover, so w/e)

legacyblade

How I justified it to myself was that it was good practice without having to worry about your low skill messing up the quality of your own game. That doesn't mean I don't put my best work into what I do for other people, I just think of work for other people as "safe practice" or something. Plus it's fun to help your friends out and see something you made used by someone else.

Lore

I honestly enjoy helping others in my nature. It's in me to just lend a helping hand. It's the fact that I possess the knowledge and skills to make any game I want, that I can use this to help others with theirs. Also, I am currently taking a break from my project and awaiting some scripts/graphics so I have nothing else to do :P
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Calintz

Do it if you want to. There really is no reason to debate this topic. If you enjoy helping others then lend a hand. If you can't find a good reason, then don't I guess.. .. ..

winkio

Yeah, I already have a reason, I was just a bit curious about the distribution of reasons, but before this gets too negative, I'll just lock it.

Blizzard

I just wanted to add...
I'm not the best in everything I do, there are people better than me. But there are things that I can do very well. I share my scripts with others so that they share their music/graphics with me. It's mostly about you scratching my back, me scratching yours. And of course, for me personally, the nature of just helping somebody. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.