[XP] Visual Equipment for Blizz-ABS

Started by Blizzard, February 01, 2010, 09:39:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Soloman

June 14, 2011, 07:00:26 pm #40 Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:40:26 pm by Soloman
A number you can use to represent the actor in the DRAW_ORDER array. The script layers the weapons and armor perfectly, they just layer them over the actor. Here's an example:

<--- The order here is [Actor, Weapon, Armor], and I'm wondering if there is a way that you can make it [Weapon, Actor, Armor].

Croatian? And you can speak three languages fluently? And you're familiar with the show, "How I Met Your Mother"? You could be a perfectly rounded human being.
Sometimes I like to fill up my tub up with water, turn the shower on and pretend like I'm in a submarine that's just been hit.

G_G

Blizzard, you should add another number for the draw order. A number that represents the character.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

G_G

Blizzard

Quote from: Soloman on June 14, 2011, 07:00:26 pm
A number you can use to represent the actor in the DRAW_ORDER array. The script layers the weapons and armor perfectly, they just layer them over the actor. Here's an example:

<--- The order here is [Actor, Weapon, Armor], and I'm wondering if there is a way that you can make it [Weapon, Actor, Armor].

It's not impossible (it's actually very simple), but it rather doesn't make sense for most cases. In what scenario would it be necessary?

Quote from: Soloman on June 14, 2011, 07:00:26 pm
Croatian? And you can speak three languages fluently? And you're familiar with the show, "How I Met Your Mother"? You could be a perfectly rounded human being.

Yes, I could. I could also be awesome. I could.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

He's trying to display the sword as if it were on the characters back.

Soloman

It would allow the global use of any equipment spriteset on any character, regardless of the hairstyles, thickness, or species. I could edit the sword so that it wouldn't clip the actor's face, but what if I wanted a Wookiee companion?
Sometimes I like to fill up my tub up with water, turn the shower on and pretend like I'm in a submarine that's just been hit.

Blizzard

June 15, 2011, 02:42:29 am #47 Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:58:21 pm by Blizzard
Ah, good point. I forgot about that scenario. I'll do it when I get home from work today.

EDIT: I just realized it's not as simple to do because the equipment sprite is separate from the normal sprite. The only way to make it work would be 2 equipment sprites, one for under and one for over the actual character. :/

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soloman

Hey, no problem. It's still a great script. I can use the unique actors option if I have to.

Blizzard

That was actually originally the point of the unique actors option. It was supposed to handle this problem.

chaucer

umm sorry to necro (i think xP) the thread but i was wondering if itd be possible to have another sprite when somethings NOT equipped i know it sounds stupid but like for helmets this would be a huge help cause some characters hair is too big to go into a helmet (it sticks out the sides of the helmet) and with this idea you can pretty much have the character bald and have the hair as an armor id but its only on when theres nothing in the helmet slot lol then when you equip something itll change the hair to the helmet  if that makes sense im a little drunk sorry ~_~

Shalaren

July 02, 2011, 10:52:19 pm #51 Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 10:08:05 pm by Shalaren
um yeah I could use something like that too, but something like you can configure the helmets that require the hair to disappear (or change?) or those who dont
In different words, another layer for hair S:.

chaucer

haha yah thats better than my idea xP since some helmets dont go over the whole head good idea

MindOnFire

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever considered using this (or a similar script) and modifying it into something for creating custom character sprites? Like, having separate layers for hair and eyes, then the attire as this is meant for? Honestly, I kind of want to make a system like that, even with no prior knowledge of how to code RGSS. Unless someone else has already done it, I might try this lol.
Then.
Now.
Forever.

Blizzard

Yes and no. In fact this script was supposed to be used as a base for that kind of script in the RMX-OS project Remexos, but it was cancelled. So it was planned,  but it was never made.

MindOnFire

That's actually kind of cool. So, that out in the open, does it mean a system like that is perfectly plausible in RMXP or was it scrapped for other reasons as well?  Before I get as ambitious as a Nintendo 64 game designer and have all of my ideas shattered partway through the development process. >.>

Also, random but I feel strangely humbled by getting a reply from you right off the bat. Probably because I'm new here and because you're a legend on RRR. :^_^':
Then.
Now.
Forever.

Blizzard

Lol, thanks. xD I usually don't reply to RMXP topics anymore (because I have retired almost a year and a half ago), except if it's a question that catches my attention somehow. But I am still fairly active in the community because of ARC.

Yes, it is a system that works just fine in RMXP. The only thing that can pose a bit of a problem is that you have to adjust all graphics properly. You have to expect that all hair graphics are used at the same place so every hair graphic has to be positioned properly in the file. Basically the same problem if you have a visual equipment script, just with body parts. Our script allowed you to change the hair, the color of the hair (in form of hue), each eye separately, the color of each eye separately (again, hue change) and the skin color and gender (basically one out of 10 base sprites, 5 colors each for 2 genders). They are were the same size because otherwise we would have to bother additionally with positioning of the sprite parts (as I explained earlier in this post).

MindOnFire

That's actually exactly how I was picturing doing it, with the exception that I hadn't thought of doing each individual eye. I don't suppose the hue map works very well for changing skin colours either, does it? It'd probably be awkward lol. >_<

In any case, thank you for reassuring me on that. And I do appreciate getting a reply on that because I am aware of the fact that you're retired from RMXP, so I really do appreciate the swift reply.

Since RMXP spriting isn't my forte (I'll probably get better at it in time, I did loads of custom graphics in 2k3) I'mma have to try and edit the base sprites on Backwater Productions' character generator. Which is going to be annoying as they're all anatomically correct. I didn't realize this until I had saved a bunch of sprites of my character, then gotten an attire from elsewhere I wanted to put on him and discovered that my sprite had a massive peen lol. I need to work on my coding skills too but as with everyone that'll come with time.  :)
Then.
Now.
Forever.

mroedesigns

Would there be any way to use masks with the equipment so that a certain color is rendered as transparent?

IE The player has big red spiky hair, so it pokes out of a helm graphic. You change the background color on the helm to a script-defined 'mask' color, and it renders the hair beyond the helm invisible.

Blizzard