RMX-OS + Poccil's Pokemon Starter Kit

Started by crzyone9584, February 03, 2010, 04:55:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

crzyone9584

February 03, 2010, 04:55:15 am Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:58:47 am by crzyone9584
I'm sure this is the wrong forum but couldn't decide if this should go into tutorials or Script or script requests. But I've been following this thread over at Pokemon Community but it has since been a little slow and there is a thread on here some where saying that Blizzards Online system is better.

Pokecommunity Thread

Now after searching google for a few hours about Pokemon and netplay i stumbled across this thread.

Pokemon Neon Online

Now my question is will that custom RMX-OS ever be released? I have searched the forums and haven't seen it. I might of missed it though. If so what start kit is used in it? If not would some one help me get Poccils latest release found here:

January 30, 2010

To work with RMX-OS. Or even give a brief over view of what i should copy over to RMX-OS

Before you say well this is being done by jcsnider i would like for you to read my post. It hasn't been updated for a while do to college and school. But looking into making it a real game.

Pokemon: The Begining (Will be Pokemon: The Beginning Online after i find a system either the one at pokecommunity or someone helps with RMX-OS to work with poccils start kit)

I do relize that the story and some features will have to be rewritten for it to be an ORPG. Which is ok with me.

But any help is greatly appreciated.

(EDIT: there are a few other things like how to make special global events like a real mmo does. If its just updated a map or if its something i would have to script)

Blizzard

February 03, 2010, 05:45:44 am #1 Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:48:54 am by Blizzard
Actually this is the perfect place to post a topic like this. :)

First off, JC hasn't made RMX-OS work with the starter kit, I did. xD Since I know RMX-OS best, I was the one to make the few additional scripts and set up the configuration so it works with the starter kit.

Secondly, I am not going to release that additional set of scripts because JC's game was one of the two main reasons why RMX-OS was even made. It would be unfair towards him if I released the scripts for everybody to be able to make their Pokemon MMO. As one of the people in the first thread link said:
QuoteThis could either be really good, or an epic failure.
People will simply flood the forums with MORPGS, and they'll basically all look the same.

RMX-OS is much easier to use than Netplay+. The easier you make it for people, the more not-advanced users will attempt to make a game. Also, it's not a custom RMX-OS version or something. It's the default RMX-OS that you can download from this site. It only has a few additional scripts and the save data configuration is set up so it saves the starter kit data properly. That's all there is. It's actually relatively simple.

Thirdly, I already made several plugins for RMX-OS (like Global Switches and Variables) that allow you to control everything you need globally (i.e. turn off a global switch that is a precondition for an event and voila, the event is gone on every player's screen).

RMX-OS was made from scratch. It's an entirely different system from Netplay+. Sure, it uses the same TCP socket implementation from Ruby like Netplay+ does, but the entire system has no connection to Netplay+ whatsoever. RMX-OS was made to AVOID all the problems and mistakes in Netplay+, not to be yet another half-assed copy/mod/something from the original Netplay+ (hence it was made from scratch).

All I can say is that if you want that additional set of scripts (mainly the configuration and a few small mods to make RMX-OS work with the starter kit), you have to talk to JC. If he doesn't mind giving you the scripts, then I don't mind it either.
Believe it or not, setting up RMX-OS and copy-pasting the necessary scripts is all you need to get the game online. I remember that Netplay+ caused many more problems than that. Especially since it had as good as no documentation whatsoever. :/
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

crzyone9584

February 03, 2010, 05:55:25 am #2 Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:56:30 am by crzyone9584
QuoteThis could either be really good, or an epic failure.
People will simply flood the forums with MORPGS, and they'll basically all look the same.

I totally agree with that. I've haven't been active because of college and work but manged to keep an eye on few projects on the poke community site and most of them disappeared. Like mine, unfortunely personal life got in my way.

QuoteBelieve it or not, setting up RMX-OS and copy-pasting the necessary scripts is all you need to get the game online.

I noticed this for when i was playing the beta 1.6 of JC's Pokemon Neon Online.  And along with your add-ons. It should be easy. I might attempt this myself. I was just not sure enough if it was like netplay+ or not. Knowing that is is better and more user friendly I'm more inclined to see if I'm able to get it working myself. Although I'll still talk to JC so i don't steal his thunder.

Thanks for the help. Ill have to look at your add-ons tomorrow after i build the database off my web site.

(Edit: With netplay+ i have had problems getting the server to run on my linux box. Would there be any trouble running it as long as my linux box has 1.9.1 ruby installed?)

Blizzard

If it has Ruby 1.9.1, there shouldn't be any problems. A member of this forum, edwardthefma, was able to run RMX-OS on a Linux shell that used Ruby 1.8.x. He only had to use a mysql.so file that was compiled for Ruby 1.8.x. If I remember right, Netplay+ has a mysql.so file that was compiled for Ruby 1.8.x. I remember using that one for testing since I started off RMX-OS with Ruby 1.8.x as well. I realized the advantages of 1.9.1 (i.e. real multithreading which allows a significant performance boost on the server) so I simply switched. All I had to do was to compile the mysql.so for Ruby 1.9.1 and get the libmysql.dll from a current MySQL 5 distribution.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

jcsnider

PNOs scripts that merge the starter kit with RMX-OS are exclusive to PNO ONLY at this time and will most likely stay that way.

For many reasons,
1st, the second I release PNO will no longer be exclusive.
2nd, this forum along with mine will become spammed with idiots trying to make a Pokemon game. (No offence intended to anyone!)

Then reasons in which Blizzard has already stated...

crzyone9584

Quote from: jcsnider on February 03, 2010, 06:00:01 pm
PNOs scripts that merge the starter kit with RMX-OS are exclusive to PNO ONLY at this time and will most likely stay that way.

For many reasons,
1st, the second I release PNO will no longer be exclusive.
2nd, this forum along with mine will become spammed with idiots trying to make a Pokemon game. (No offence intended to anyone!)

Then reasons in which Blizzard has already stated...

Thats ok. Since i got the server up and able to connect. I have decided on a different approach. Only problem is getting sprites/tile sets. Might have to drop some cash along with for some scripts. But I'm a big Scifi fan and most likely make a Stargate SG1, Atlantis, Universe ORPG instead of pokemon. Like you said no offense but once someone figures out how to do the pokemon with rmx-os there will be spamming all over the place. Thanks for the reply though.

(Side-note PNO is pretty decent just got off Route 1 couple hours ago lol)