Password encryption

Started by Putr, March 14, 2010, 10:13:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Putr

March 14, 2010, 10:13:43 am Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:13:24 am by Putr
Hi!

I'm helping a frend who's developing a game with rpgmaker xp and I'm building him a website that will interface with the game. And he told me you mite be able to help me.

I need to know how the game encrypts passwords. It's not MD5 or SHA1 or Native mysql password(). SO how is it doing it. Hope you know.

Also if there is any documentation anywhere what the tables in the database are for, and how the game uses them. It would be very helpfull as we're integrating the site and the game.

EDIT: My game guy told me to specify it's for "rmx-os"
EDIT: Nevermind I already know. It's rubys build it crypt command with a 2 char salt. What i need to know now is: where the salt is stored (the manual said something about the admin beein able to change it) and if
http://php.net/manual/en/function.crypt.php
works in the same way (I quess I'll find out if it works when i get the salt and i test it :()

Blizzard

I should work in the same way. Ruby's crypt function works the same as the UNIX crypt function and PHP's crypt function should map into UNIX's crypt function when running it on a UNIX system. IDK if it works properly on Windows, but I think that Ryex made his RMX-OS GUI (made in C#) work normally using C#'s function for that kind of encryption.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Putr

Ok Thanks. I was hoping that was the case.

Does anyone know where the  "salt " is hidden?
We've been searching for a while now and are slowly thinking about recoding the game to use mysqls native password() function instead (it's much simpler)

Blizzard

Salt is usually passed on as argument in the crypt function. RMX-OS itself uses a constant for the salt (refer to the manual) to the same salt is used in the entire client.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Putr

The thing is, the manual only seas that the salt can be changed by an admin. It does not say where it can be change. And it's not in the config file. So if anyone knows where the constats for the salt is located, that would really be helpfull.

Ryex

the salt is located in the options part of the client's part of the rmx-os script
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Putr

Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!