The worst story negative

Started by Starrodkirby86, February 24, 2008, 09:05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite/worst story element?

Stale characters
2 (13.3%)
Plot device(s)
0 (0%)
Cliche(s)
0 (0%)
Plot Hole
5 (33.3%)
All of them! :O
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Starrodkirby86

February 24, 2008, 09:05:34 pm Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:07:49 pm by Starrodkirby86
So I started this thread because I always have a fickle time with the storyline, which I'm sure many of you people also have this problem. However, there are many easy hardships that come, especially notorious ones. Which one is the worst of the group, the least favorite of your all, the head honcho of the storyline killers, and...ah, you get the picture.

• Stale characters. These kinds of characters are very unmemorable. It's all right if it's your average run-of-the-mill NPC, but when it's a main character or someone rather important, a problem arises. A stale character has a flawed or common personality, does not change at all as the game continues, and cannot be analyzed easily.

Example of a stale character:
    Name: Kharl
    Job: Soldier
    Description: Kharl is a hot headed soldier. He is a true soldier to his roots, as ancestors of Kharl's kinds were also soldiers. He is a master of the blade.

Why this character bombs:
    There are so much people that have these traits. You wouldn't remember him unless he changes, or has something interesting and intriguing. There's some tempered people in other stories, but they have changing personalities as the story goes out so they are more memorable...'least in the good stories.

• Plot Devices. Plot devices are handicaps that people use to benefit them to continue on to the next segment of story. The most famous one is the MacGuffin, which is a very common plot device. A MacGuffin is an object of motivation (Usually something legendary) that drives people to continue, but when you remove these reasons to the motivational object, it becomes obsolete. Like for example, the treasure at the Grand Line in One Piece. That's a MacGuffin. You can look at it in Wikipedia.

• Cliches. Cliches are so overused that it isn't as marvelous as it used to be. For example, Final Fantasy is very famous of cliches. Or at least people who make RPGs and adapt from Final Fantasy have their RPG totally leaked with cliches. A good example of a cliche is a story of revenge. See that, and you have a cliche. Stuff that are obviously based off something else should go to this category.

• Plot Holes.Extremely annoying elements of story. Plot holes are inconsistencies or illogical things that don't answer the reader or the story all too well. Usually, with a problem there would be a reason, but if there is no reason there is an inconsistency, making a plot hole. People who read the story (Or go on through the story, as this is a game :P) can easily realize plot holes.

I'm sorry if this sounds so strange, I am right now multitasking. ^^

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Calintz

I voted for all of them, because each it's own has it seperate effects on the game...

winkio

February 24, 2008, 09:28:15 pm #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:18:34 pm by winkio
I agree with Calintz, but I think the worst are cliches and stupidity.  I mean stupidity of the main character, such as falling right into obvious traps and trusting rather shady individuals.  Or stupidity of the villain.  You know what I'm talking about.

Calintz

About that Winkio...It's actually quite amazing isn't it!? How when the main characters fall into traps for obvious reasons, it's make a negative impact, however if the trap was well concealed with other sections of the story, those traps can be the MOST exciting parts of a video game!! Ironic, isn't it!??

Main Characters:
When you make a bad main character, I personally don't think it's dangerously bad for the game, just very negligent. It makes the player bored quickly, which is a turn off, but the game itself can still be saved without a good main character.

Plot Devices:
If the plot device is well-thought and if you shadow it well with interesting events throughout the entire game, I don't see device plots being a problem...

Cliches:
Lol, cliches...So many things could be said about cliches, but I'll keep it short. I have an outlook relatively the same as I did on Main Characters for Cliches.

Plot Holes:
These are bad in my eyes. I hate it when there is either no reason for doing what you're doing, or there is absolutely no outcome to the event's accomplishment. I become very disinterested in game that have these.

**Square Enix does well to avoid all of these negatives.

legacyblade

I hate all of them. Though I think flat or stock characters (you called theme stale characters) makes the game boring. If one character is so well known that we can all predict everything he'll say, and can see through his paper thin personality, then the game is screwed. Also cliches...nuff said, they suck. Plot holes are also quite annoying, I hate when things don't make sense. If it couldn't ever happen, it shouldn't in game.

Plot devices are ok, as long as you disguise them. The kidnapped princess you have to rescue is an obvious one, but if she is the protagonists best friend, they don't know she's a princess, and the hero's other best friend has easy access to her, and is trying to restore her lost heart (did someone say Kairi?), you can't see her for a plot device as well.

Blizzard

February 25, 2008, 06:32:16 am #5 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:33:28 am by Blizzard
I also voted all.

• Stale characters. I pretty much hate predictable heroes. I mean, sure, a hero should still have a consistent personality and not seem schizophremic (LOL, don't steal this idea!), but being completely predictable makes a game dull and uninteresting. I mean why should I play it if I know exactly what will happen?

• Plot Devices. I agree with legacyblade, plot devices are ok if they are disguised well since without plot devices there is no plot.

• Cliches. Cliches are sometimes unavoidable, but they should be kept to a complete minimum. Keep in mind that a cliché isn't just a necessary overused piece of plot, it's generally an overused piece of plot that everybody has gotten enough of.

• Plot Holes. I hate 'em, that's all I can say. When plot holes are thoroughly explained, though, they can make the game much more interesting.

And I have to disagree, Square avoided those treats, Square Enix doesn't. i.e. The powerhungry villain Seymour who wants to be a god (again). Or Titus, the pure purest pure good (boring) hero who actually would never do the female main character, because he's such a good (and boring) friend. =/ At least it resembles the reality, the "good friends" never get the girl. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

Obvious plot devices are a no-go, but of course ones that not every reader can find out are exceptional. I realize this, as I was multitasking when creating the topic, but nevertheless. And every RPG has to have some cliche, it's just that the obvious one (Such as revenge, where it's used in such a predictable way) makes it really...jejune.

But there's hard avoidance with a plot hole, especially as the story progresses on. You can clot it up with some solution to the illogical part of it, but there'll be something wrong with that. Most of the time it won't end up pretty trying to disguise or give a good answer with a plot hole, and they're extremely despicable.

Thanks guys for replying, usually many topics I make get ignored or dead within the next hour. ^^;

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Fallen Angel X

I voted for stale characters!  :o I WOULD say all of them but I'm actually pretty ok with cliches especially since I have the way of thinking like "Sure it's cliche but what happens between the beginning and the end is the most important!" Like for example "Getting Revenge!" VERY common  :-\ BUT when you put in enough twists like say... your best friend/someone close to you, ends up being the one you tried to kill in the end when it completely points out to another guy  :o Yeah sorry if the example I used was cliche too it's just that I'm also homeworking  :P

legacyblade

I don't know why, but last year, I suddenly became a cliche crusader. After every movie we went to, I ranted about a cliche trait in some character, or a cliche plot use. I lectured everyone the whole way home about the use of cliches, and how they ruin a story. Also, I gave my mom heck when she used cliche idioms (like I just did). It's getting less intense (I don't attack people for using cliches), but I still hate them.

Fallen Angel X

It's probably b/c you nitpick at all the details and find EVERY possible cliche, even the new ones that are probably popping up  :P

legacyblade

No, it's because I got too much into that creative writing course. My story creation became so good (lost most of it at scout camp somehow) that the teacher gave me permission to submit 12 pages of the story I was writing in place of any assignments. I loved that class, but I steeped myself in textbooks on writing so much, that I started going insane. I couldn't enjoy any story, because they were all filled with Cliches. To protect my sanity, I refrained from playing Kingdom Hearts, because I didn't want to find a cliche in there on accident, and shatter my world.

Fallen Angel X

February 25, 2008, 06:21:49 pm #11 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:28:37 pm by Fallen Angel X
lol I'll admit school can do that to you  >:( My protection (please kids don't follow my example) is not doing my homework!!!!  :o But yeah on a serious note... Almost EVERYTHING has a cliche if you look hard enough which is why I've grown to be pretty accustomed to them.

QuoteYeah, I ended my crusade for the sake of sanity. But I can't take your solution, since I'm a straight A student, and am in collage now

Good point! I'm to used to be lazy yet surprisingly I'm working on a game  :o The irony.

legacyblade

Yeah, I ended my crusade for the sake of sanity. But I can't take your solution, since I'm a straight A student, and am in collage now

Starrodkirby86

February 25, 2008, 06:35:46 pm #13 Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 06:36:39 pm by Starrodkirby86
Quote from: legacyblade on February 25, 2008, 06:12:11 pm
I don't know why, but last year, I suddenly became a cliche crusader. After every movie we went to, I ranted about a cliche trait in some character, or a cliche plot use. I lectured everyone the whole way home about the use of cliches, and how they ruin a story. Also, I gave my mom heck when she used cliche idioms (like I just did). It's getting less intense (I don't attack people for using cliches), but I still hate them.

If you're going to attack at something that's leaked with cliches, I recommend Tales of Symphonia. It's not a bad game by all means (In fact, it's a very epic RPG and pretty good for a Tales), but there's so much cliches in there it's extremely laughable. Like the "Chosen One", I am your father, Hometown burned to smithereens, hot headed person, etc. etc....

Another RPG that is loaded with cliches (This one even more) is Super Paper Mario. Once again, this is a wonderful game that is action-oriented (And successful), but when it comes to the storyline it falls apart. (Collecting seven stars I think, saving the world, typical love story, best friend [brother] being your enemy etc.) I still wonder why Super Paper Mario won best storyline on Nintendo Power's award, and not Fire Emblem! Fire Emblem had a better story, 'least a better one than Mario. >_>

Then again, you're retired from cliche finding. That's now my job eh? XD

Fallen Angel X

lols like I said before Cliches are ok... I don't get why you guys are nitpicking at them  :-\

Starrodkirby86

They're so funny, even though they are okay. It's amusing when you predict what happens next and whoop-de-doo, that event you foresee actually initiates! That's basically the kind of story Super Paper Mario is.

Sure, cliches are great, after all..."It is a cliche that most cliches are true, but then like most cliches, that cliche is untrue".

If you understand that, kudos to you. If you don't, oh well, terribly sorry, deeply analyze that one more time and once you do understand it you have more mastery of the English language (And by all means, that makes your literature in any project you're developing more...beautiful, per se).

Fallen Angel X

Lol I got most of that line but what is untrue? And I still don't see an improvement in my literature.  :-\

Blizzard

How about a hero who is obsessed with revenge. It's more like a parody. Everything something happens, he has to revenge it. Like, his friend screws him over and joins the villain. Now the hero wants revenge on both of them.
Some guy sells the hero a broken weapon, now he wants revenge for that.
Some guy overpriced his items, now he wants revenge for it.

LMAO

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Ok, I hate cliches in movies and books. Video Games are better off. Also a Chosen One isn't a cliche, it is just an overused function. In my stuff, I've put a slight twist by lots of conflicting destinies, and lots of Chosens, some of which end up destroying someone else's prophecy in order to fulfill theres. But mainly, cliche's don't go well in serious games. You can get away with "I'm your father" or "I'm your older brother who you thought was dead", but it is annoying.

P.S. Paper Mario is an exception, cliche's make mario. I also love the times when they said something like "what is this 1 button I speak of? Don't worry, the great being who controls our actions knows." I loled when that happened.

Starrodkirby86

February 26, 2008, 08:34:52 pm #19 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:36:39 pm by Starrodkirby86
Quote from: Blizzard on February 26, 2008, 07:13:39 am
How about a hero who is obsessed with revenge. It's more like a parody. Everything something happens, he has to revenge it. Like, his friend screws him over and joins the villain. Now the hero wants revenge on both of them.
Some guy sells the hero a broken weapon, now he wants revenge for that.
Some guy overpriced his items, now he wants revenge for it.

LMAO
(Hero fighting Slime) Hero: You hit me! REVENGE!  >:(
(Having to do a mission in order to obtain information) Hero: I'll get revenge on you someday...*eyes squint*

The best part would be the hero does get his revenge, and that adds more to the humor.

---

Quote from: legacyblade on February 26, 2008, 01:46:09 pm
Ok, I hate cliches in movies and books. Video Games are better off. Also a Chosen One isn't a cliche, it is just an overused function. In my stuff, I've put a slight twist by lots of conflicting destinies, and lots of Chosens, some of which end up destroying someone else's prophecy in order to fulfill theres. But mainly, cliche's don't go well in serious games. You can get away with "I'm your father" or "I'm your older brother who you thought was dead", but it is annoying.

P.S. Paper Mario is an exception, cliche's make mario. I also love the times when they said something like "what is this 1 button I speak of? Don't worry, the great being who controls our actions knows." I loled when that happened.
Well, I'll have to say it's overused to the point that cliche and abuse are synonymous with each other. People in communities have different perspectives on what a cliche really is, and from the top of my head, a Cliche is a phrase that is used so much to the point that it doesn't have as much force as it would've had the first time or its peak. Cliches usually relate to idioms, at least that's what I remember. So using that sort of logic, if the Chosen One were to used so much (Which it is, Chosen One is virtually the same as "Legendary Hero" is the main character or "The destined one that'll save the world" blah blah blah), then it is a cliche. But I don't really want to deal with debating, it's not my forte, and I'll instantly lose. Well, let me just say this. If you haven't played Symphonia, prepared to be spoiled. It's so unlikely that Kratos would be Lloyd's father, and to the point that you instead of going "OMG" (Well, you probably would be going that, but nevertheless), you would be rather going "That was random" or "Ookay..."...Since why would Kratos have a baby after I don't know...1000 years of fighting and etcetera? Maybe he's a little lonely and lookin' for a little loving? I can't remember how the Symphonia story goes now but this seems to be true. It's been a long time since I'm acquainted with the series, but I have one thing to say to end this. Genis X Presea FTW!

Super Paper Mario is not a bad game. It's a very excellent game by all means, very fun. There are funny parts towards it. Just to tell you though, Miyamoto is the cliche master since he was the one that developed the "Damsel in Distress" scenario. He was, Donkey Kong (If you count Pauline as a princess) or Super Mario Brothers really had it. If he's not the creator, then call him the messenger, the missionary. Mario made those cliches, it's kind of all right for him to have it. It's just so predictable it's funny. And the great beings? That's indeed a classic, love that.

Besides, this is all opinion, we're just stating our reasonings why stuff like this are okay. In my eyes, cliches by all means are acceptable in the way you are executing them. I won't snuff them out and deduct points on it (If I were to be a reviewer), but I will do so if the story just plain stinks because I'm such a fickly person like that.

legacyblade

the damsel in distress has been around since before the medieval ages...but yes, mario is the classic for that, just like The Legend of Zelda is the classic for the "Legendary Hero that will come and save the world". Also, I've never finished tales of Symphonia, but I knew Kratos was Lloyds father, because I have an annoyingly good memory for things I shouldn't. I bought the game a long time after release, and a few years before, I suddenly remembered overhearing one of my friends mention that Kratos was Lloyd's father. I didn't know who either of them was, or what game they were talking about, but somehow I remembered.

Back on topic. Yes Cliches can be used as a good effect, just as long as its not in the same way as everyone else has done it (although legendary hero is like the main character having a sword...it is RPG law, XD )

fugibo

I say death is the worst part. See The Bridge to Terebithia for more information.

legacyblade

What do you mean? I've seen BtT (I like to abbreviate) but I don't know what you mean. Are you saying death is Cliche? How can you have an RPG without death?

Blizzard

February 27, 2008, 09:35:54 am #23 Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:38:04 am by Blizzard
It's a metacliché that people hate clichés.

EDIT: WcW means characters that simply have to die. You know, like sacrificing oneself to save somebody else. It's only not that much of a cliché if that person actually is some antagonist. Letting an antagonist save a protagonist without giving loads of hints before that he will actually do it can be a nice plot twist.

legacyblade

Why would the antagonist sacrifice himself for the protagonist. It could be a villain, but if the antagonist would sacrifice himself, he wouldn't really be the antagonist (starwars 6, Darth Vader sacrifices himself to save luke and kill the emperor)

fugibo

No, I mean when idiots just throw death in their for no readily apparent reason. It's just stupid.

@Blizz:

Don't use "meta" to make it seem normal. We all know that the end of the world will be by the cliche of people hating cliches, which defies all logic. Don't try to deny it, it'll lead to your innevitable doom!!!!

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: legacyblade on February 27, 2008, 02:30:25 pm
Why would the antagonist sacrifice himself for the protagonist. It could be a villain, but if the antagonist would sacrifice himself, he wouldn't really be the antagonist (starwars 6, Darth Vader sacrifices himself to save luke and kill the emperor)

This is only to prove the point, as this example completely sucks since I have no complete thought of why and how this happens.

The protagonist fights the antagonist is a gut wrenching battle...However, then comes this other guy that pops up and wants to kill both of them. So the protagonist and antagonist just form a temporary truce to wipe this person out and the antagonist dies in sacrificing himself for the cause. That shows...though I know there's going to be some counterexample but nevertheless...
Quote from: WcW on February 28, 2008, 04:52:19 pm
No, I mean when idiots just throw death in their for no readily apparent reason. It's just stupid.
Do you mean when people decide to just throw themselves into battle to die or just die for no apparent reason (When I mean, there's better things to do like kill the about-to-be-murderer before he does whatnot)?

legacyblade

Yeah, but if they form the alliance, then that guy isn't the true antagonist. The real antagonist is the guy that the band together to fight. Think the "final" storyline on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Shadow and the rest of the Dark Team aren't the real antagonists.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: legacyblade on February 28, 2008, 05:10:24 pm
Yeah, but if they form the alliance, then that guy isn't the true antagonist. The real antagonist is the guy that the band together to fight. Think the "final" storyline on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Shadow and the rest of the Dark Team aren't the real antagonists.
Touche.

Now the only thing I think of is an unintentional sacrifice. But even that, which is extremely idiotic because that's not really a sacrifice...but nevertheless.

legacyblade

Sacrifices are good, as long as it isn't

*battle with slime*
Guy 1: HURRY, RUN! I'll distract him!
Guy 2: But we can both escape!
*slime attacks, guy one jumps in front of it to get hit*
Guy 1: AHHHG! No...No time...Save yourself!!

Ok exaggerated, but you know what I mean. If its the only way, and plausibly the only way, then the sacrifice works. Also, you need some depressing music, and it has to help some way. If the sacrificed person is a main char, especially one everyone likes, the sacrifice scene adds alot of emotional depth to the game, provided you've done the characterization skillfully, and properly pull of the scene. It's even cooler when someone we think is an antagonist sacrifices themself. Think Shadow form Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. An even better example is from a book called "The Wings of Merlin" (part of a series, the first of which is The Lost Years of Merlin). The supposed antagonist from the first book, whom Emrys (Merlin as a teenager) still hates sacrifices himself to save one of the main characters. It's a very well done scene, and adds emotion.

As you can see, I'm very opinionated on the subject, XD, I like sacrifices.

nerissya

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

legacyblade

XD, if I were making a joke game, that scene would be in it.

nerissya

Calintz

I like the way you emphasized on it Legacyblade +Energy...

fugibo

No. When the writer of the story just decides to throw death in their for no apparent reason. I mean, BtT was going alright for a kid movie, and the girl goes AND DIES WHILE SWINGING ON A ROPE. wtf is that all about?

legacyblade

I agree. That was totally stupid

_ _
@Clintz, 0 0
             v

You gave me energy! *hugs* Now I have an energy!

Calintz

legacyblade

Calintz

Wait...what for game are you making?? Is it posted in our Projects section!!??

Blizzard

February 29, 2008, 08:38:55 am #39 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:43:13 am by Blizzard
Quote from: nerissya on February 28, 2008, 06:22:44 pm
Quote from: legacyblade on February 28, 2008, 06:18:05 pm

Guy 1: AHHHG! No...No time...Save yourself!!

Lol the classic. =)

If it's well made and I liked that character, I will feel sad which is good, because then it won't be so much of a cliché.

Quote from: legacyblade on February 27, 2008, 02:30:25 pm

Exactly what I mean. Vader was the mean guy all the time. And suddenly at the very end he changes his mind. It was as good as AFTER the final battle.
And still, you don't actually know what was going on in Vader's head. Was he thinking about that all the time? Was he maybe only being able to accept the death of his son when he killed him with his own hands? Was it just a one-moment choice? Or was it too much for him to watch Luke, his son, suffer? There are many questions that are left open which makes it very interesting. Vader was a very good character; deformed morals by the cruelity of the outside world (can bee seen in episode 2 and 3), but yet decided to maybe have let others suffered enough for the pain they caused him. He's a twisted and complex personality which is great material for a good plot.

nerissya

Lol, Starwars. =) But yeah i see your point.. =)

legacyblade

I just have a dif definition of antagonist. If they change at the end like vadar, then I consider them one who only appeared to be one. Meh, mine's not as solid as yours, but I can't change it v_v

Starrodkirby86

The definition of Antagonist in my eyes is, the character that is against the Protagonist, usually the main character's, views. It doesn't need to be a bad guy, it can be a hero (But that means the Protagonist is the bad guy, unless the heroes are rivals or something of that sort). Writing has many exceptions, so bending the rules is okay, just like the English Language.

Valcos

:o This was the hardest thread to read :'( So much typing involved in your posts. Im to tired now to actually post my opinion :(. Ill post it later :(.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

Because it's a heated debate. :P

Debates are fun...I wonder why I don't take the Debate classes in school. Doesn't matter. Defending for your rights and beliefs is a good thing! It makes you seem more educated! >:D

Fallen Angel X

I still think Stale Characters are the worst! Especially if it's the main character... like how do you even pull that off? Seriously!

fugibo

Yeah, stale characters are pretty bad.

Valcos

Come on they cant be that bad ::) Actually it can :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

I don't think stale characers will RUIN the game, but they have the ability to if the plot isn't really well organized...

Valcos

Exactly! :D If you really think about it a good game needs everything :-\
-Oscar De La Hoya

legacyblade

An example of things killed by stale characters

Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
games where the main character is Arshes, and starts out not knowing what they're doing, but gets good near the end, and never stops being an idiot (whoa, long sentance).

that's all I can come up with.

And I oftentimes use characters that seem to be an antagonist until near the end, but I just don't consider them "true antagonists"...just an idiosyncrasy of mine

Fallen Angel X

idiosyncrasy? wow is that a word? But apart from cliches why does everything else bug you?

fugibo

idiosyncrasy = something out of the ordinary

I planned on making the main villian, Cremaxe, really turn out to be the protagonist, Kadeus, reversed, and the main character was a reincarnation of the not dead Kadeus in my game Cosmic Blades before I stopped working on it.

Fallen Angel X

Hmmm... That's pretty elaborate  8)

fugibo

Yes, the entire story was about a clash between Fate and the Cosmos, with Fate being the fusion of dark and light, the decider of what humans did and controller of weak-minded beings, and Cosmos being Space/Time + Gravity, the undeniable will of the people. I can post the full story sometime if you promise not to steal it.

Fallen Angel X

Steal it? Hah! Very funny...  ::) I don't need to steal it when I have 2 games with their own storyline I'm working on :-\

nerissya

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 03, 2008, 04:41:41 pm
Steal it? Hah! Very funny...  ::) I don't need to steal it when I have 2 games with their own storyline I'm working on :-\

LIES!

Fax is a stealer!

i promise!

He keylogged my computer and stole my project!!

No jokes. =O

legacyblade

eh? Also, if you want to know why I hate the other ones, its mainly because they ALL detract from a story. Plot devices are necessary, though, but you need to disguise them. I've already illustrated this point with Kairi in the KH game. But aside from Cliches, I hate flat and static stock characters (I think he put it as "stale" characters). Yeah, we won't steal it, I have trouble focusing on one story of mine, I don't need to steal stories, XD

nerissya

Quote from: legacyblade on March 03, 2008, 04:47:21 pm
eh? Also, if you want to know why I hate the other ones, its mainly because they ALL detract from a story. Plot devices are necessary, though, but you need to disguise them. I've already illustrated this point with Kairi in the KH game. But aside from Cliches, I hate flat and static stock characters (I think he put it as "stale" characters). Yeah, we won't steal it, I have trouble focusing on one story of mine, I don't need to steal stories, XD

LEGACY STOLE MY OTHER PROJECT TO! =( 

No lies.

Fallen Angel X

shhh Nerissya I don't want to get in trouble.

But serious note! It's hard to make a story w/o using Cliches and Plot devices. What makes a story good is how you perfectly execute them.

legacyblade

Cliches are easy to avoid, plot devices are unavoidable. But cliches can work for some games, but never for a book.

Fallen Angel X

nerissya

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 03, 2008, 04:49:53 pm
shhh Nerissya I don't want to get in trouble.

But serious note! It's hard to make a story w/o using Cliches and Plot devices. What makes a story good is how you perfectly execute them.

Whats a Plot Device?

legacyblade

A plot device is something that forces the story to move forward. It's hard to describe, since I don't have the definition down too well. But if something is forcing your plot along, its a plot device. You need to disguise it, so it seems natural, and unique.

@FAX, no books 0_0...That is blasphemy.

Fallen Angel X

Books are overrated!!! Especially textbooks!

nerissya

Quote from: legacyblade on March 03, 2008, 05:03:18 pm
A plot device is something that forces the story to move forward. It's hard to describe, since I don't have the definition down too well. But if something is forcing your plot along, its a plot device. You need to disguise it, so it seems natural, and unique.

@FAX, no books 0_0...That is blasphemy.

Lol like a boss fight? or sumth' like that? o.O

Books pwns btw. =)

legacyblade

I write books. Texbooks == blech, books (particularly fantasy) == pwn. The only example of a plot device I can think of that isn't well disguised is Peach...

Starrodkirby86

A plot device, always unavoidable in a good story, is an element or part of a story (An event) that only serves its purpose to continue the story. A good execution of a plot device will have some continuity and a lasting thing, and is disguised heavily well. A bad one is when the reader/viewer can actually identify it easily.

Here's an example. This is a plot device, but I can't tell if it's a good or bad one, though I hope it's bad.

Dude 1: What's the use of going on? D:
Dude 2: Do it for the world! Do it for your family!
Dude 1: You're right! Let's continue!

Of course, it's not as epic as Legacyblade's slime ordeal, but you get the picture, hopefully...

On the other side, I hope this doesn't turn into another debate (But it shows how intelligent me and Legacy are :P)...

legacyblade

lol, yeah. Me and you seem to be the leaders of this thread, since we tend to have long posts. I agree with you, I was just having trouble describing a plot device.

fugibo

A plot device is what soap operas and sitcoms don't have.

nerissya

Lol, Plot devices, ok i think i know what it is now..

i think..

Blizzard

I used a reasonable plot device in the first part of CP. First Jason and Endout simply want to get home. Then they find meet and battle Faberell which makes Jason curious where he leaves the party because he believes it would have to do with him due to the dream he had.
The rest could spoil the game, read at own risk:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Jason will meet Endout and Lilith eventually and yet again the actual main reason to continue the journey will be to get home, but the curiosity still remains. But when they suddenly get attacked in the Tower of Memories by the actual antagonists of the story, they decide to follow them in a rush. Later they realize that it might not have been such a good decision, but they can get away unharmed and undetected. This is where they get stuck between the worlds and Lilith will be able to return home while the rest will continue their journey to defeat the villains. It's not like "OMG, LET'S KILL THE BAD GUYS", it's more like "Shit, there's no way I'll let him that go through. First they use us and now they want to destroy the world. I'm not gonna let them kill us just like that!" BTW, I left out what is actually going to happen, nobody said anything about death... ;)