The worst story negative

Started by Starrodkirby86, February 24, 2008, 09:05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite/worst story element?

Stale characters
2 (13.3%)
Plot device(s)
0 (0%)
Cliche(s)
0 (0%)
Plot Hole
5 (33.3%)
All of them! :O
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

legacyblade

the damsel in distress has been around since before the medieval ages...but yes, mario is the classic for that, just like The Legend of Zelda is the classic for the "Legendary Hero that will come and save the world". Also, I've never finished tales of Symphonia, but I knew Kratos was Lloyds father, because I have an annoyingly good memory for things I shouldn't. I bought the game a long time after release, and a few years before, I suddenly remembered overhearing one of my friends mention that Kratos was Lloyd's father. I didn't know who either of them was, or what game they were talking about, but somehow I remembered.

Back on topic. Yes Cliches can be used as a good effect, just as long as its not in the same way as everyone else has done it (although legendary hero is like the main character having a sword...it is RPG law, XD )

fugibo

I say death is the worst part. See The Bridge to Terebithia for more information.

legacyblade

What do you mean? I've seen BtT (I like to abbreviate) but I don't know what you mean. Are you saying death is Cliche? How can you have an RPG without death?

Blizzard

February 27, 2008, 09:35:54 am #23 Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:38:04 am by Blizzard
It's a metacliché that people hate clichés.

EDIT: WcW means characters that simply have to die. You know, like sacrificing oneself to save somebody else. It's only not that much of a cliché if that person actually is some antagonist. Letting an antagonist save a protagonist without giving loads of hints before that he will actually do it can be a nice plot twist.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Why would the antagonist sacrifice himself for the protagonist. It could be a villain, but if the antagonist would sacrifice himself, he wouldn't really be the antagonist (starwars 6, Darth Vader sacrifices himself to save luke and kill the emperor)

fugibo

No, I mean when idiots just throw death in their for no readily apparent reason. It's just stupid.

@Blizz:

Don't use "meta" to make it seem normal. We all know that the end of the world will be by the cliche of people hating cliches, which defies all logic. Don't try to deny it, it'll lead to your innevitable doom!!!!

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: legacyblade on February 27, 2008, 02:30:25 pm
Why would the antagonist sacrifice himself for the protagonist. It could be a villain, but if the antagonist would sacrifice himself, he wouldn't really be the antagonist (starwars 6, Darth Vader sacrifices himself to save luke and kill the emperor)

This is only to prove the point, as this example completely sucks since I have no complete thought of why and how this happens.

The protagonist fights the antagonist is a gut wrenching battle...However, then comes this other guy that pops up and wants to kill both of them. So the protagonist and antagonist just form a temporary truce to wipe this person out and the antagonist dies in sacrificing himself for the cause. That shows...though I know there's going to be some counterexample but nevertheless...
Quote from: WcW on February 28, 2008, 04:52:19 pm
No, I mean when idiots just throw death in their for no readily apparent reason. It's just stupid.
Do you mean when people decide to just throw themselves into battle to die or just die for no apparent reason (When I mean, there's better things to do like kill the about-to-be-murderer before he does whatnot)?

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

legacyblade

Yeah, but if they form the alliance, then that guy isn't the true antagonist. The real antagonist is the guy that the band together to fight. Think the "final" storyline on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Shadow and the rest of the Dark Team aren't the real antagonists.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: legacyblade on February 28, 2008, 05:10:24 pm
Yeah, but if they form the alliance, then that guy isn't the true antagonist. The real antagonist is the guy that the band together to fight. Think the "final" storyline on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, Shadow and the rest of the Dark Team aren't the real antagonists.
Touche.

Now the only thing I think of is an unintentional sacrifice. But even that, which is extremely idiotic because that's not really a sacrifice...but nevertheless.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

legacyblade

Sacrifices are good, as long as it isn't

*battle with slime*
Guy 1: HURRY, RUN! I'll distract him!
Guy 2: But we can both escape!
*slime attacks, guy one jumps in front of it to get hit*
Guy 1: AHHHG! No...No time...Save yourself!!

Ok exaggerated, but you know what I mean. If its the only way, and plausibly the only way, then the sacrifice works. Also, you need some depressing music, and it has to help some way. If the sacrificed person is a main char, especially one everyone likes, the sacrifice scene adds alot of emotional depth to the game, provided you've done the characterization skillfully, and properly pull of the scene. It's even cooler when someone we think is an antagonist sacrifices themself. Think Shadow form Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. An even better example is from a book called "The Wings of Merlin" (part of a series, the first of which is The Lost Years of Merlin). The supposed antagonist from the first book, whom Emrys (Merlin as a teenager) still hates sacrifices himself to save one of the main characters. It's a very well done scene, and adds emotion.

As you can see, I'm very opinionated on the subject, XD, I like sacrifices.

nerissya

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

legacyblade

XD, if I were making a joke game, that scene would be in it.

nerissya

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Calintz

I like the way you emphasized on it Legacyblade +Energy...

fugibo

No. When the writer of the story just decides to throw death in their for no apparent reason. I mean, BtT was going alright for a kid movie, and the girl goes AND DIES WHILE SWINGING ON A ROPE. wtf is that all about?

legacyblade

I agree. That was totally stupid

_ _
@Clintz, 0 0
             v

You gave me energy! *hugs* Now I have an energy!

Calintz

legacyblade

Calintz

Wait...what for game are you making?? Is it posted in our Projects section!!??

Blizzard

February 29, 2008, 08:38:55 am #39 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:43:13 am by Blizzard
Quote from: nerissya on February 28, 2008, 06:22:44 pm
Quote from: legacyblade on February 28, 2008, 06:18:05 pm

Guy 1: AHHHG! No...No time...Save yourself!!

Lol the classic. =)

If it's well made and I liked that character, I will feel sad which is good, because then it won't be so much of a cliché.

Quote from: legacyblade on February 27, 2008, 02:30:25 pm

Exactly what I mean. Vader was the mean guy all the time. And suddenly at the very end he changes his mind. It was as good as AFTER the final battle.
And still, you don't actually know what was going on in Vader's head. Was he thinking about that all the time? Was he maybe only being able to accept the death of his son when he killed him with his own hands? Was it just a one-moment choice? Or was it too much for him to watch Luke, his son, suffer? There are many questions that are left open which makes it very interesting. Vader was a very good character; deformed morals by the cruelity of the outside world (can bee seen in episode 2 and 3), but yet decided to maybe have let others suffered enough for the pain they caused him. He's a twisted and complex personality which is great material for a good plot.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.