The worst story negative

Started by Starrodkirby86, February 24, 2008, 09:05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite/worst story element?

Stale characters
2 (13.3%)
Plot device(s)
0 (0%)
Cliche(s)
0 (0%)
Plot Hole
5 (33.3%)
All of them! :O
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

nerissya

Lol, Starwars. =) But yeah i see your point.. =)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

legacyblade

I just have a dif definition of antagonist. If they change at the end like vadar, then I consider them one who only appeared to be one. Meh, mine's not as solid as yours, but I can't change it v_v

Starrodkirby86

The definition of Antagonist in my eyes is, the character that is against the Protagonist, usually the main character's, views. It doesn't need to be a bad guy, it can be a hero (But that means the Protagonist is the bad guy, unless the heroes are rivals or something of that sort). Writing has many exceptions, so bending the rules is okay, just like the English Language.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Valcos

:o This was the hardest thread to read :'( So much typing involved in your posts. Im to tired now to actually post my opinion :(. Ill post it later :(.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

Because it's a heated debate. :P

Debates are fun...I wonder why I don't take the Debate classes in school. Doesn't matter. Defending for your rights and beliefs is a good thing! It makes you seem more educated! >:D

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Fallen Angel X

I still think Stale Characters are the worst! Especially if it's the main character... like how do you even pull that off? Seriously!

fugibo

Yeah, stale characters are pretty bad.

Valcos

Come on they cant be that bad ::) Actually it can :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

I don't think stale characers will RUIN the game, but they have the ability to if the plot isn't really well organized...

Valcos

Exactly! :D If you really think about it a good game needs everything :-\
-Oscar De La Hoya

legacyblade

An example of things killed by stale characters

Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
games where the main character is Arshes, and starts out not knowing what they're doing, but gets good near the end, and never stops being an idiot (whoa, long sentance).

that's all I can come up with.

And I oftentimes use characters that seem to be an antagonist until near the end, but I just don't consider them "true antagonists"...just an idiosyncrasy of mine

Fallen Angel X

idiosyncrasy? wow is that a word? But apart from cliches why does everything else bug you?

fugibo

idiosyncrasy = something out of the ordinary

I planned on making the main villian, Cremaxe, really turn out to be the protagonist, Kadeus, reversed, and the main character was a reincarnation of the not dead Kadeus in my game Cosmic Blades before I stopped working on it.

Fallen Angel X

Hmmm... That's pretty elaborate  8)

fugibo

Yes, the entire story was about a clash between Fate and the Cosmos, with Fate being the fusion of dark and light, the decider of what humans did and controller of weak-minded beings, and Cosmos being Space/Time + Gravity, the undeniable will of the people. I can post the full story sometime if you promise not to steal it.

Fallen Angel X

Steal it? Hah! Very funny...  ::) I don't need to steal it when I have 2 games with their own storyline I'm working on :-\

nerissya

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 03, 2008, 04:41:41 pm
Steal it? Hah! Very funny...  ::) I don't need to steal it when I have 2 games with their own storyline I'm working on :-\

LIES!

Fax is a stealer!

i promise!

He keylogged my computer and stole my project!!

No jokes. =O

legacyblade

eh? Also, if you want to know why I hate the other ones, its mainly because they ALL detract from a story. Plot devices are necessary, though, but you need to disguise them. I've already illustrated this point with Kairi in the KH game. But aside from Cliches, I hate flat and static stock characters (I think he put it as "stale" characters). Yeah, we won't steal it, I have trouble focusing on one story of mine, I don't need to steal stories, XD

nerissya

Quote from: legacyblade on March 03, 2008, 04:47:21 pm
eh? Also, if you want to know why I hate the other ones, its mainly because they ALL detract from a story. Plot devices are necessary, though, but you need to disguise them. I've already illustrated this point with Kairi in the KH game. But aside from Cliches, I hate flat and static stock characters (I think he put it as "stale" characters). Yeah, we won't steal it, I have trouble focusing on one story of mine, I don't need to steal stories, XD

LEGACY STOLE MY OTHER PROJECT TO! =( 

No lies.

Fallen Angel X

shhh Nerissya I don't want to get in trouble.

But serious note! It's hard to make a story w/o using Cliches and Plot devices. What makes a story good is how you perfectly execute them.