The worst story negative

Started by Starrodkirby86, February 24, 2008, 09:05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your least favorite/worst story element?

Stale characters
2 (13.3%)
Plot device(s)
0 (0%)
Cliche(s)
0 (0%)
Plot Hole
5 (33.3%)
All of them! :O
8 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

legacyblade

Cliches are easy to avoid, plot devices are unavoidable. But cliches can work for some games, but never for a book.

Fallen Angel X

nerissya

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 03, 2008, 04:49:53 pm
shhh Nerissya I don't want to get in trouble.

But serious note! It's hard to make a story w/o using Cliches and Plot devices. What makes a story good is how you perfectly execute them.

Whats a Plot Device?

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

legacyblade

A plot device is something that forces the story to move forward. It's hard to describe, since I don't have the definition down too well. But if something is forcing your plot along, its a plot device. You need to disguise it, so it seems natural, and unique.

@FAX, no books 0_0...That is blasphemy.

Fallen Angel X

Books are overrated!!! Especially textbooks!

nerissya

Quote from: legacyblade on March 03, 2008, 05:03:18 pm
A plot device is something that forces the story to move forward. It's hard to describe, since I don't have the definition down too well. But if something is forcing your plot along, its a plot device. You need to disguise it, so it seems natural, and unique.

@FAX, no books 0_0...That is blasphemy.

Lol like a boss fight? or sumth' like that? o.O

Books pwns btw. =)

legacyblade

I write books. Texbooks == blech, books (particularly fantasy) == pwn. The only example of a plot device I can think of that isn't well disguised is Peach...

Starrodkirby86

A plot device, always unavoidable in a good story, is an element or part of a story (An event) that only serves its purpose to continue the story. A good execution of a plot device will have some continuity and a lasting thing, and is disguised heavily well. A bad one is when the reader/viewer can actually identify it easily.

Here's an example. This is a plot device, but I can't tell if it's a good or bad one, though I hope it's bad.

Dude 1: What's the use of going on? D:
Dude 2: Do it for the world! Do it for your family!
Dude 1: You're right! Let's continue!

Of course, it's not as epic as Legacyblade's slime ordeal, but you get the picture, hopefully...

On the other side, I hope this doesn't turn into another debate (But it shows how intelligent me and Legacy are :P)...

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

legacyblade

lol, yeah. Me and you seem to be the leaders of this thread, since we tend to have long posts. I agree with you, I was just having trouble describing a plot device.

fugibo

A plot device is what soap operas and sitcoms don't have.

nerissya

Lol, Plot devices, ok i think i know what it is now..

i think..

Blizzard

I used a reasonable plot device in the first part of CP. First Jason and Endout simply want to get home. Then they find meet and battle Faberell which makes Jason curious where he leaves the party because he believes it would have to do with him due to the dream he had.
The rest could spoil the game, read at own risk:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Jason will meet Endout and Lilith eventually and yet again the actual main reason to continue the journey will be to get home, but the curiosity still remains. But when they suddenly get attacked in the Tower of Memories by the actual antagonists of the story, they decide to follow them in a rush. Later they realize that it might not have been such a good decision, but they can get away unharmed and undetected. This is where they get stuck between the worlds and Lilith will be able to return home while the rest will continue their journey to defeat the villains. It's not like "OMG, LET'S KILL THE BAD GUYS", it's more like "Shit, there's no way I'll let him that go through. First they use us and now they want to destroy the world. I'm not gonna let them kill us just like that!" BTW, I left out what is actually going to happen, nobody said anything about death... ;)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.