Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

I forgot to add Metal Gear Solid series to my list. Woops xP

Jek

In my opinion, anything in Orange Box.

Diokatsu

Quote from: Jek on March 29, 2010, 01:35:25 am
In my opinion, anything in Orange Box.

Except Portal. If you'd classify Portal as a shooter, I might have to discredit you.

Tyril132

An original game I don't think I've seen mentioned yet? ...Aliens vs. Predator. The good one. (You know, the first.)

QuoteMetal Gear Solid series and Mass Effect series. And not because they have shooting.

That pretty much sums it up for me, as well.

QuoteExcept Portal. If you'd classify Portal as a shooter, I might have to discredit you.

Strictly speaking, it's a game that's played from the first person perspective that requires you to shoot a gun. By definition, that makes it a "first person shooter." It just focuses entirely on the puzzle aspect of gameplay over the shooting.
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack
Personality Index:: ShowHide

Blizzard

Portal is not a shooter. You might be carrying a gun, but you're not shooting stuff. You only shoot projectiles that create portals which isn't the same as shooting an enemy.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Tyril132

April 06, 2010, 03:14:15 pm #25 Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:15:46 pm by Tyril132
Off-topic: ShowHide
This is why I'm not a fan of fitting unconventional games into conventional genres.

Portals can be used offensively, and this is in fact required for certain achievements and puzzle solving methods. The level where you first encounter sentry guns is a very clear example of this: while it is technically possible to pass the level without using portals to "destroy" any of the sentry guns, it is extremely difficult.

Despite this, I wouldn't call Portal a "shooter" either... nor would I call a game like Mirror's Edge one. I'm simply saying that, in black and white terms, they both fall within the necessary criteria for being classified as FPSs.

A "correct" term for Portal would be something akin to "first person puzzle solving game," but such a genre classification does not exist in conventional terms.

Really, though, we're talking about trivial semantics here. You say tomato, I say tomato.

On topic: Marathon. The original, Macintosh only shooter from Bungie studios, before they hit it big. I loved its emphasis on blending fantastic storytelling with (at the time) solid gun-play. It was the first shooter I really loved.
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack

Blizzard

Off-topic: ShowHide
I would simply call it a puzzle game. That's the genre that suits it most.

Unreal Tournament 1998, the first one. Classic. :3 One of the better multiplayer FPSes for people with good reflexes.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Tyril132

Quote from: Blizzard on April 06, 2010, 03:22:04 pmUnreal Tournament 1998, the first one. Classic. :3 One of the better multiplayer FPSes for people with good reflexes.

Oh man. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

I played that game for years. Fantastic. None of its sequels came close, imho.
DSC Project Soundtrack

Landith

Actually now that I think about the classics my favorite shooter/game of all time was and still is....

Call of Duty 2!!
:D

If you have a 360 go out and buy this game if you can find it. It's seriously amazing.

Merōna

I don't own many shooters but i guess
Metal gear and Bioshock series!
member of the banana juice sect

Spoiler: ShowHide

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Merōna on April 07, 2010, 01:31:52 pm

I thought you hated bioshock xD

I'm not a big fan of shooters, but I really liked the metroid series, especially corruption. Bioshock is great, too, and Mass Effect, but that's a shooter/rpg crossover.

Tyril132

What, we're allowed to include Metroid games?

Does Super Metroid count? <.<
DSC Project Soundtrack

Merōna

Quote from: Tazero on February 28, 2010, 08:33:24 am
Quote from: Champion Blizzard on February 28, 2010, 06:26:13 am
Metal Gear Solid series and Mass Effect series. And not because they have shooting.

Level++ for MGS

Raiden FTW xD

Raiden is ftw!! ^_^
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on April 07, 2010, 01:36:04 pm

I'm not a big fan of shooters, but I really liked the metroid series, especially corruption. Bioshock is great, too, and Mass Effect, but that's a shooter/rpg crossover.

at the beginning I was soooooooooooo afraid.. but after a time i figured out that it isnt thaaaaat scary x3 but sometimes it made me jump o__O
member of the banana juice sect

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Merōna on April 07, 2010, 04:18:28 pm
Quote from: Tazero on February 28, 2010, 08:33:24 am
Quote from: Champion Blizzard on February 28, 2010, 06:26:13 am
Metal Gear Solid series and Mass Effect series. And not because they have shooting.

Level++ for MGS

Raiden FTW xD

Raiden is ftw!! ^_^
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on April 07, 2010, 01:36:04 pm

at the beginning I was soooooooooooo afraid.. but after a time i figured out that it isnt thaaaaat scary x3 but sometimes it made me jump o__O

The only time it wasn't scary for me was when I had the machine gun.
Then again, it was my first horror game, and most of the effect was done by the sounds and music. I'm easily influenced by sound it seems o.O

Kett Shee

Dead Space - love it, scares the hell outta me though.  :P

btw:
N.I.C.O.L.E. I.S. D.E.A.D.
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

C.C. rOyAl

*re-activates* :D
Anyone played Fallout? 3 in particular?

poxy

Fallout 3.. played it. Not quite as good as the first 2, the style and feel didn't scale well from it's predecessors, but it's by a different developer. Though it's a decent shooter.

Quote from: Blizzard on April 06, 2010, 03:22:04 pm
Unreal Tournament 1998, the first one. Classic. :3 One of the better multiplayer FPSes for people with good reflexes.

Hell, yes... that game was addictive.

Also the Bioshocks, and also the original contra game, if it counts :p
My Project: ShowHide

nathmatt

I'd have to go with borderline it's the only game besides fable I have bought any addons for
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Diokatsu

G_G

I recently just got TF2, its awesome xD