[XP] Ice Puzzles

Started by G_G, February 27, 2010, 11:44:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

February 27, 2010, 11:44:55 am Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:26:02 pm by Hellfire's G_G
Ice Puzzles
Version: 1.0
Type: Ice-Sliding Puzzle

Introduction

Remember in Pokemon games? In those ice caves you would run into those ice puzzles where you slid across the ice. You had to find your way out by following a certain path. To fully understand watch this video. Youtube Skip to 3:28 to see what I'm talking about.

Features

• Slide on ice

Screenshots

Sliding on Ice
Spoiler: ShowHide

Demo

MediaFire

Instructions

Requires 1 variable.
1 parallel process on the map.

Okay so first. We want to open up our Tilesets in our database. Choose your ice tile, and set the terrain to 2.

Now we want to create a simple ice puzzle. Like this one here. Feel free to copy.

The darkened snow path is what I'm using as the ice.

Okay we're all set, we just now have to setup the event. First we want to set our variable to the player's terrain.

Then we want to make a conditional branch checking to see if that variable is 2.

Now we add a branch to check to see if the player is facing up, down, left, or right.

Now we in each branch we want to make the player move in that direction. So in up make him move up, in left make him move left, etc. Make sure to check the Ignore if Can't move option. Our event should look like this.

Also add a Wait 1 Frame after all the branches. Forgot to mention that sorry. Or else it won't work.

Run the game and get through the puzzle. Of course you can make more advanced ice puzzles. Just be sure the maps that have ice puzzles on it have that same event we just setup. And make sure its a parallel process.

Credits and Thanks

• game_guy ~ For making it
  • Pokemon ~ For inspiring me to make it

Author's Notes

Enjoy!

(Hexamin)

*level up*

Simplistic.  Love it.  Good job.  ^_^
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

lilbrudder917

This is awesome. But, instead of checking which way they are facing here:

couldn't you just use 1 Step Forward?

G_G

February 27, 2010, 04:49:39 pm #3 Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:52:32 pm by Hellfire's G_G
Which is why I'm getting back into eventing. Before scripting I would have realized that. I'm not as good as an eventer as I used to be. Thanks for pointing that out.

EDIT: I just tried it. And its not working. So I'll keep it as is.

lilbrudder917

Really?  :O.o: Works just fine for me.

Aqua

G_G, you might wanna add that you need a wait of 1 frame at the bottom or else it wouldn't work... XP

G_G

Quote from: Breloom Trainer Brudder on February 27, 2010, 05:00:16 pm
Really?  :O.o: Works just fine for me.

Quote from: Elite Four Aqua on February 27, 2010, 05:23:56 pm
G_G, you might wanna add that you need a wait of 1 frame at the bottom or else it wouldn't work... XP

I forgot I had that there. It'll work with the wait 1 frame at the bottom.

element

April 11, 2010, 06:59:44 am #7 Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:18:52 pm by elementisland
after i did 2 steps with the system on the ice it gives massive legg
going to see what can cause it later

EDIT : Ok it's defeneatly not the event checking it.
        Something else in my game is lagging with it

Now it gives me a script is hanging error after a while

Alton Wyte

Also, to make it look like the character isn't just walking over the ice, add a Direction Fix On command at the beginning of the Move Route and Direction Fix Off command at the end.

Kett Shee

April 12, 2010, 12:45:37 am #9 Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:46:53 am by Cait Sith
*adds to my little bag of trinkets and things and levels up*
nice event system G_G

OFF TOPIC: don't ask about the bag.
>.>

<.<
You're all daft cunts. I love you. <3

Blizzard

*scratches head* Where did my ice-slide-puzzle event thread go? :hm:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

element

April 15, 2010, 05:51:58 am #11 Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:45:45 pm by elementisland
Anybody know what can cause my mega lag and "script is hanging" error ?
Something with blizz-abs pixel movement ?
no it can't be cause i tested it in another game with the same scripts and it works perfect there.

EDIT : Blizz-abs Pixel Movement IS the problem ! I tried changing it back to zero in-game with
$game_system.pixel_rate = POSSIBLE_VALUE

but when i try to change it back to 1 my character walks through walls and stuff first and then i get a "script is hanging" error again  >:(

MarkHest

This gave the puzzles of my game a slight increase in quality.

Thank you and nice work! :haha:

ForeverZer0

Ninja-Necropost.  :ninja:

Seriously, though, please don't bump old topics needlessly. There is a big-bold-red warning that alerts you when you're about to. When it does, make sure that your post is relevant, such as a question, reporting a bug, etc.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

G_G

*wonders why this was never moved to the database* *waits for someone else to move*

ForeverZer0

* Moves to Database.  Wonders why G_G has never moved his own event to Database all this time :V:
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

MarkHest

Oh sorry, yes. I'll be more carefull in the future :shy: