Mouse control/shooting CBS

Started by happyman, March 01, 2010, 03:42:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

happyman

March 01, 2010, 03:42:25 am Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 03:47:28 am by happyman
I highly doubt this script will be created, due to the obvious difficulty.  But I would love to talk about the possibility, and what everyone thinks about it.

So I have this idea for a CBS.  My friends and I are discussing an RPG in a modern world setting, where the player uses guns to fight.  It's also important to note that there are no other party members.  Just one guy.  Basically, when the player enters a battle and selects the fight command, I want a 5-second timer to appear.  During those 5 seconds, the player can click on the enemies using the mouse to "shoot" them.  Once his 5 seconds are up, it's the enemies' turn.  On their turn, however, it would be just like a normal battle.

And that's exactly what it is.  Now imagine the customizations that would make this so cool:

Different weapons can have different statistics:
Dispersion rate.  A pistol could shoot 6 times during the player's 5 seconds, while a Shotgun can only fire twice.
Area damage.  A pistol has a small area of affection, while a shotgun can harm a large area.

Enemies would have weak points, where shooting the head of something would deal more damage, or shooting a shield would deal no damage (and maybe even reflect the bullet back at the player).  Enemies could move around the battlefield while you're shooting at them, making some enemies slow and easy to defeat, while others could be small, faster targets.

Special accessories could increase the attack time (from 5 seconds to 6), or they could increase the stats of a weapon (dispersion rate, increase area damage, shoot through shields, etc).
Equipping different kinds of ammo could affect damage or cause special effects (Fire bullets cause fire damage, Poison Bullets cause poison, Silver Bullets deal 2x damage to werewolves, etc).

Dual wielding using the left and right mouse buttons?  Possibly.  But normally you need to equip guns and bullets, and there's not really room for two guns and two bullets...  so. it would be cool, but I could live without it.

Special items, such as Grenades, would make use of this point-and-click battle system as well.

I'm not sure what other scripts will be used in the game, but I feel like a battle system is something that should be worked out first.  I would definitely use a one-man CMS.  There is no party in this game.  Do you think that simplifies the battle system, or does it create more problems?

So, do you think something like this can be made?  I've only played around with a few scripts, so I know this would span a few script pages.  I figure it might take 4, at the least.  1 script would enable mouse control in battle, 1 script would correct the player's battle turn to make it a 5-second live-action turn (there's no need to modify the enemies phase, but do you need to?  I don't know how modifying a CBS works), 1 script for enemy movements during battle and 1 script for the weapon/bullet/accessory customization database.  There probably needs to be more.

So what do you guys think?  (sorry if this is a lot of text, I just get really excited thinking about it)