Calendar System

Started by WhiteRose, March 04, 2010, 12:19:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

March 04, 2010, 12:19:26 am Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:28:29 pm by Flower Lady WhiteRose
Calendar System
Version: 1.02
Type: ATES Add-On

Introduction

Creates a working calendar, with a certain amount of months, each with a certain amount of days. When the player looks at a calendar (via an item, event, etc.) it will display the date. Please note that this requires Blizzard's ATES!

Features

• Day advances at midnight or when staying at an inn.
  • Calendar can be an item, event, NPC, etc.
  • Amount of months and days in each month can be easily modified.
  • This version does not display the year, but that could be easily added.
  • Now includes days of the week.

Screenshots
Spoiler: ShowHide

Demo

http://www.mediafire.com/?j1omrqinigz

Instructions

First, set up a parallel process event to advance the date at midnight. It should look like this:

Make sure to make the conditional switch whatever you are using for your night switch, and of course change the variables I used to the variables you are using to store the respective values.

Then, create a common event to be called upon the viewing of the calendar, and set it up something like this:

Make sure you create enough months as you have for the values you set in the last step.

If you use inns or anything similar in your game that would advance time to the next day, set it up something like this:

Credits and Thanks

• Blizzard, for making the ATES.
  • Whoever invented the calendar, I guess.

Author's Notes

Let me know if you think of any improvements that need to be made.

ShinyToyGuns

This is going to be really helpful...is it also possible to show the day of the week?

Level++
Days
I've missed so many days
In a world that has become an unfamiliar place
Now to you, I'm just an unfamiliar face

~Shiny Toy Guns, Blown Away (2008)

WhiteRose

Quote from: ShinyToyGuns on March 04, 2010, 09:22:53 am
This is going to be really helpful...is it also possible to show the day of the week?

Level++

Updated to Version 1.02; includes days of the week.

(Hexamin)

Just a thought.

A thought: ShowHide

I might put the conditional branches checking the day of the week and month into a parellel process, and store the month in a variable just like you did with the day of the week.  That way you could call the date at anytime just by using 1"\v[6], \v[whatever the hell you use to store the month in] \v[3]" instead of calling a common event each time.

But who really wants my thoughts anyway?  I'm a noob.   :^_^':
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

WhiteRose

Quote from: (Hexamin) on March 04, 2010, 05:35:22 pm
Just a thought.

A thought: ShowHide

I might put the conditional branches checking the day of the week and month into a parellel process, and store the month in a variable just like you did with the day of the week.  That way you could call the date at anytime just by using 1"\v[6], \v[whatever the hell you use to store the month in] \v[3]" instead of calling a common event each time.

But who really wants my thoughts anyway?  I'm a noob.   :^_^':

Thanks for the suggestion! As this would take exactly the same amount of conditional branches as my method, I don't see any reason to implement it, unless you were going to use a more complicated method to display the calendar's stored date, in which case, your way would provide a definite advantage.

(Hexamin)

I just figured you could bypass the common event and go up to some guy and ask him the date.  Then instead of a calling common event, all you'd have to do is put \v[6], \v
  • \v[3] in a text box.  *shrugs*

:wacko:

6 one way... half a doz- well you know.
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

WhiteRose

Quote from: (Hexamin) on March 04, 2010, 05:47:45 pm
I just figured you could bypass the common event and go up to some guy and ask him the date.  Then instead of a calling common event, all you'd have to do is put \v[6], \v
  • \v[3] in a text box.  *shrugs*

:wacko:

6 one way... half a doz- well you know.

Okay, I see your point. Thanks for the tip!