The Original Idea Tutorial

Started by (Hexamin), March 05, 2010, 08:01:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(Hexamin)

Introduction
Hello folks.  I'm relatively new to these forums and after scouring for brilliant new ideas, discussing possible revised options, pondering originality, and playing around unproductively for hours with RMXP, I've come to the realization that creating original ideas is a tough, if not impossible process.  But more on this later.  Let's give it a whirl.

Chapter 1: Step Outside
An original idea is just like any other idea--for the very first time.  Now, initially you might think this could be an easy task.  One simply needs to identify a problem and solve it uniquely.  Let's take a look at obesity, America's child.  Okay, that's not fair, obesity has obviously been around much longer.
::Rated R for Roman::: ShowHide

Nevertheless, obesity IS a problem for some people and so, having acquired a problem, let's create an original idea to fix the problem.  Well, logically speaking, obesity is caused by an overconsumption of calories, which can be represented as such.

var_Intake = calories consumed
var_Burned = calories burned
if var_Intake >= val_Burned: self.contents.draw_text(x, y, width, height, "You're fat!") end

Now then, let's trace the roots of var_Intake to it's core.  Just what does "calorie consumption" really mean?  Well... a "calorie" is a measurement of energy... and we get energy from food... and "consumption" means... well... doesn't it mean like... using something?  What's it called when we use food..?  Oh!  Eating!  Okay!  So, if eating causes calorie consumption to increase, then all we have to do is stop eating!

Well folks, how about we just create a device that prevents us from eating!  Screw pills, forget diets, let's just stop it all together!  I propose a device that we strap onto our heads that prevents food from even entering our mouths.  We'll call it something cool... like... The Anti-eating Face Mask!  Sound silly?  Well it's actually already a patented idea. 
Patent #US4344424: Anti-eating face mask: ShowHide

Now we sit here broken and defeated, somebody stole our anti-obesity mask.  But wait!  This is a forum for RPG Maker!  Maybe we can gather something from this whole experience.  In fact... why'd we even talk about obesity in the first place, if we're supposed to be coming up with original ideas for games?

Congratulations folks, you just successfully stepped outside (...of the box).  By getting away completely from our game, we were able to think about something completely off topic!

Chapter 2: U.F.O.
Understanding Fundamental Observations, or U.F.O., is essential to the next step.  What's the point of stepping outside if you don't observe and understand?  There is no purpose.  So let's not waste all the time it took thinking of our solution to obesity, which is seemingly off topic, but with the use of our brilliant God-given minds, we will salvage this wreckage and rise to new heights in the game-creating-community, one day pitching our game to Square Enix and becoming the director of Final Fantasy LX!

How could we elaborate on obesity to create a fun-filled aspect to our latest game?  Now, you might be thinking, ewwww, fat is gross, like I am, but if we can just break through those mental barriers preventing us from seeing the beauty in skin-covered lard, then we can begin to soar...  So, obesity... fat... eating... food... cooking...  Hey!  There's actually a lot of aspects to this obesity thing...  Let's turn our failed invention towards a brand new system of food for our upcoming game!

Okay, so, let's observe food.  What are some observations about food... it's... yummy, but sometimes it's icky.  Sometimes it's healthy; sometimes it's unhealthy.  You can cook food, and some food spoils.  This could easily continue for a while, so let's make sure we're making the most of our precious time.  Let's make a list of our observations, maybe cross out the completely boring and useless observations, and highlight obsersations that have potential originality.
-Healthy/unhealthy food
-Food affects your mood
-You can cook food
-You can play with food
-You can grow food
-You can collect food
-You can buy food
-You can throw food
-You can take pictures of food
-You can smell food
-You can feel food
-Food can feel you

Okay, good, we've got a list of fundamental observations about food.  Let's take it a step further now.

Chapter 3: *sniff sniff* What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?
Alright, we've got some things to work with, let's see what we can muster up now!  I noticed you came up with some strange and awesome observations about food!  Let's take a closer look at the three highlighted points.  Food affects your mood.  Well, this isn't much on it's own, but let's do a drastic spin-off of "Food can feel you" and say that food can feel your emotions!  Okay, so food can feel our emotions and directly affects our mood because of it.  Well, what's our other point?  You can throw food, so... how would this even fit in with the other two..?  Unless in the game there was a giant food fight!  But not a regular food fight, the benevolent Vegetables are siding with the humans, realizing the human's need for food, they sympathize with the humans and help their biped friends by leading assaults against the malevolent Fruits!  Okay... so if we put this here... and that there... huzzah!  I think I have it now!

Chapter 4: Bon Appétit! A Tale of Vegetables...
We shall call it... Veggie Tales!  Okay... so pretty much, no matter what, you won't be able to come up with a 100% original idea.  But, you can come up with some pretty interesting things, by stepping outside the world of gaming and observing the world around you, then coming back to the gaming community with new insight on already existing systems, or maybe if you're lucky you will find that original idea.  Just try not to limit yourself to what's been done.  Although there is nothing new under the sun, there are some things that have been overlooked!  So keep your chin up, and keep on striving for that one brilliant idea that'll make you the next Shigeru Miyamoto.
Haha, you have to look here to see who Shigeru is!: ShowHide
The creator of Mario Bros.

Well, hope you weren't hoping for a complete guide leading you towards originality nirvana, or what I like to call "Originivana", but at least you can now go off and make a system where the food knows you for your latest and greatest game (or maybe you just realize that Hex does these tutorials for shits and giggles so now you won't read another one of his Tut's).  Either way, I'm out!

Peace.
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Starrodkirby86

This is an interesting perspective on how to scavenge for ideas! Pretty good work...Err, though you should have put a more tolerable image up there. XD

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

(Hexamin)

Haha, what you don't like romans?  Tsk tsk, I promote cultural diversity in my life!  Thanks though, I was bored and figured I'd put a tut up, just didn't have anything to put one up about.  Thus, this was made.  Maybe I'll use some ideas in it to come up with a different tutorial topic... *ponders*

Jalm

I was thinking "WTF?" until I got to chapter 3. Then it all made sense, sort of.

Interesting read, though. I think I actually learned something. :P

(Hexamin)

Just tryin' to get people to think is all.  Haha  ;)

Futendra

This topic gave me an idea for a game name!

Tales of the roman!

This is Sparta!