Hex's Babs!

Started by (Hexamin), March 08, 2010, 07:53:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(Hexamin)

Hex's Battle System (using Blizzard's ABS)
Alright, this IS a discussion and not a project, largely because I've solely been focusing on an effective and semi-unique battle system.  It's not complete but it is coming along nicely.  My hope is that by summer I'll have this system up and running with an actual project well underway.

Features
-Blizz ABS
-Magical/Professional Skills
-Variable Damage
-Instance Battles
-Skill Levels
-Magic Efficiency Levels
-Battle Ranking System
-Loot System
-Customized Battle Results Window
-Customized Menus

Blizz ABS
If you aren't familiar with BABS, you must not be familiar with Chaos-Project's forums.  It's a Advanced Real Time Battle System developed by Blizzard, if you want more info on it...
and here's a couple screen shots of it in action.
"Dragon's Breath": ShowHide

"Tornado": ShowHide

"Kraken's Fury": ShowHide

Magical/Professional Skills
Skills will be broken up into 3 categories.  Magical skills (i.e. Elemental spells), Professional Skills (i.e. a swordsman's attack skills), and Hybrid skills (i.e. Elemental spells merged with Professional Skills).  The third category of skills will be late game, but will harness some of the most powerful effects in the game.

Here is a glimpse of professions, since I won't be going into much detail in this thread.  Professions will range from soldier (a hardened warrior capable of withstanding attacks, and dishing out powerful physical attacks) to engineer (a creative inventor, capable of creating machines and devices to aid him in battle) to priest (a devout holyman, capable of calling upon divine power to smite his foes and protect himself) and everything in between.

Variable Damage
In order to expand the limitations of skills in this system, I implemented variable damage, in which I can fully customize the damage of each skill.  Also, a sidenote, skills will be diverse in their nature, ranging from projectiles, to skills that move the player and his enemies around the map, along with skills that alter environments, and skills that hit multiple times.

Instance Battles
My system will feature Instance Battles.  Adventure maps will have enemies on them, however, battles will not take place here.  Instead, once you come into contact with an enemy on an adventure map, you will be sent to a Battle Map.  The player's level as well as random chance will determine which map you are sent to.  Each map will be customized to where the player is on the adventure map (i.e. if the player is in a wooded area, the battle map will be an enclosed wooded area).  The battle maps will vary in size and difficulty.  Where a field battle map might have very little in between enemies and the player, a cave might have narrow passage ways and choke points where the player could easily become surrounded by enemies.  Once in the map, again, based on hero level and chance, a varying number of enemies will spawn.

The battle lasts as long as the player takes to kill everything on the map, once every enemy is dead, the battle is over, and the player is transported back to the adventure map.  Some adventure maps (such as fields or forests connecting towns) will have enemies that respawn, while other adventure maps (such as an elite castle where really good loot can be found) will have enemies that don't respawn.  There will also be bosses that don't respawn, as well as pseudo-bosses that spawn randomly.

Skill Levels
Each skill in the game will have 7 levels to it.  The more the player uses the skill, the better the skill will eventually become.  Take the skill "Fireblast" for example.

Level 1: 13-17 dmg, 1.0 AoE, 5 Range
Level 2: 19-24 dmg, 1.2 AoE, 5.5 Range
Level 3: 26-32 dmg, 1.4 AoE, 6 Range
Level 4: 34-41 dmg, 1.6 AoE, 6.5 Range
Level 5: 43-51 dmg, 1.8 AoE, 7 Range
Level 6: 53-62 dmg, 2.0 AoE, 7.5 Range
Level 7: 64-74 dmg, 2.2 AoE, 8 Range

Each skill will increase parameters in its own way, making each skill unique with it's own pros and cons.

Magic Efficiency Levels
Right now I have the 4 basic elements...  Fire, Water, Air, and Earth.  In my system, the player will be able to advance in each element based on how often the player uses skills of that element.  The more a player uses fire skills, the quicker he/she will advance to the next efficiency level, and in doing so, he/she will learn new advanced skills, as well as eventually be able to merge elemental skills with professional skills.

I'll go ahead and hint at my future project and list the various levels of magic efficiency.
Fire: Flamewielder, Water: Waterbreather, Air: Windwalker, Earth: Earthshaker
(1) Initiate Flamewielder
(2) Novice Flamewielder
(3) Flamewielder
(4) Lightseeker Flamewielder
(5) Lightfinder Flamewielder
(6) Lightbringer Flamewielder
(7) Lightmaker Flamewielder

Battle Ranking System
During the battle, several variables are observing the performance of the player and ranking him accordingly.  Some aspects that are being observed and calculated into the rank of a battle are as follows
-Time
-Skills used
-Damage taken
-Open to suggestions

The ranking structure is going to be similar to the elemental efficiencies, in that, the lowest battle rank is "Seeker", followed by "Finder, then "Bringer" and a top rank of "Maker".

Loot System
In this system, each individual enemy doesn't drop a specific item.  Instead a "Loot Score" is calculated based on a variety of aspects.
-Battle Rank
-Enemies Killed
-Types of Enemy
-Player's Luck
-Environment
-Day/Night
-Weather

I plan on having a very wide variety of items in the game, as well as alchemy and engineering creation options.  Some items might only drop, for instance, from a snake in a certain woods, at night, while it's raining, and even then, only when the player gets a battle rank of "Maker".  It will be designed so the player has to put some work and research into getting some of the coolest gear in the game.

Customized Battle Result Window
I've got a working Battle Result Window right now, but I'll probably end up tweaking it a few more times before it's final version.  Nevertheless, it's the first script I actually created myself, so I'm happy to of been able to make it.  This window pops up at the end of a battle, once all enemies are destroyed.  It calculates the experience gained during the battle, as well as gold gained during the battle in a "ticker" like format, each experience point moving the experience bar a little further along in an animated nature, likewise the gold gained tickers down, while the inventory gold tickers up.  Here are some screens to better clarify.
Battle Result 1: ShowHide

Battle Result 2: ShowHide

Battle Result Explained: ShowHide

Customized Menus
I haven't begun work on the Customized Menus of my battle system yet.  I will, however, begin work soon, once I finish working out some aesthetics of the Battle Results Window and actual gameplay.

Outro
Well folks, hope you enjoyed looking into my system.  It still has a ways to go, but I have put a lot work into it so far.  If you have any feedback/comments/critiques, I'd be glad to hear them, seeing how I am still working on this system.
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

SwiftDeathSK

March 09, 2010, 08:15:14 pm #1 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:31:09 pm by Bug Catcher Swift
Absolutely intriguing! Very well thought out, and it seems like a lot of work with well-worthwhile results. Will this be released publically or will it be only for your future project?

And I'll give you a ++ purely for the awesomeness of these ideas.

I really like the instance battles ideas. Maybe you could expand on this even further and do similar to mainstream MMOs and have full dungeons like this, where enemies are stronger and require more skill / strategy to beat, with multiple bosses. If you've ever played games like WoW or Perfect World, you should know what I mean.

(Hexamin)

Well first of all, the battle system is BLIZZARD's ABS, I just add "Hex's" in front of it due to the custom battle results screens, menus, skills, and instance battles.  The instance battles are done through event systems and theres actually a lot of meticulous work put into it, otherwise I'd probably post the systems on here.  The skills are also done using events and those too have a lot work put into each one, and I'm still working out some kinks.  This is primarily for a future project of mine, but I won't get butt hurt if someone uses an idea or two from it.  Thanks for the comments though, and I'll be sure to keep you updated on its status.  ^_^
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Magus

You know, I created a system similar to this, (believe it or not) Using eventing and blizz-abs. What made me stop was the annoying mapping, and the spawn point in which after the battle ends, it has to transfer the player back to its spot.
It's good to see someone better than my skills, take a whack at it. i really hope this goes well.
:)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

nathmatt

Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

Magus

it's good and all, but Hex is promising a lot of features. So I'm looking forward to see his work's progress... that is if he's still working on this...
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

The Niche

This actually sounds like a brilliant idea. Are you planning on following through on it, Hex?
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Magus

Quote from: nathmatt on May 19, 2010, 05:50:29 pm
um http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,3183.0.html

At first I was hesistant on saying something about the system in that link until now. No offense, but  I wouldn't brag about this if I were you, and this is coming from a guy who doesn't script. I'm sorry but, out of all the scripts that gave me trouble, but I eventually got to work fine (gaw remoxos was a pain but it works fine now), this one was sent to the recycle bin and then delete off my computer. I'm sorry if I sound like a troll or anything but I think you shouldn't waste your scripting time and skills on this (talking to the author that is) and concentrate on a better system.
Try a side-battler that's as easy to configure as blizz abs.

Blizzard

Why do you keep using Blizz-ABS and RMX-OS then? Go ahead, use another system. It's not like I get money or anything from you using Blizz-ABS.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Magus

Quote from: Blizzard on May 28, 2010, 06:31:39 pm
Why do you keep using Blizz-ABS and RMX-OS then? Go ahead, use another system. It's not like I get money or anything from you using Blizz-ABS.

If you would've clicked that link, you would've known that this wasn't directed toward the blizz-abs system at all, but at that battle dome script: which meant, you wouldn't have posted something that jumps to rash conclusions. Since this has nothing to do with blizz-abs, but everything to do with that battle dome script

Blizzard

Your post made it sound like you were bashing Blizz-ABS/RMX-OS along with his script. Choose your words better next time.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Magus

:/ I wasn't always good at choosing words

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Magus on May 28, 2010, 10:16:30 pm

Reading through quite a bit of your posts here, I would have to agree.

Magus

Quote from: Branden on May 29, 2010, 02:18:38 am

k troll

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Magus on June 03, 2010, 12:46:26 am
Quote from: Branden on May 29, 2010, 02:18:38 am

k troll

You should really learn the meaning of the word "troll" so you don't make yourself look like a complete idiot this often.

The Niche

It's his default response to everything Branden says. And considering we're talking about Branden here, he's right.
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: The Niche on June 03, 2010, 06:52:47 am
It's his default response to everything Branden says. And considering we're talking about Branden here, he's right.

That's idiotic. Branden is voicing his opinion here and in the other thread and, honestly, I agree with it, he does have a point. This is has absolutely nothing to do with trolling.
Also, I think how you kiddies try to make fun of each other is cute. Cute and very ridiculous.

SBR*

We're not making fun of each other in any way. We (most of us) are just saying random things. The only person I really hate is wolfspirit :V:! It's not like I really would like Niche and Blizz to be fused. Hell, no! Of course you understand that (I hope), but I hope you get my point.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: SBR* on June 03, 2010, 01:23:22 pm
We're not making fun of each other in any way. We (most of us) are just saying random things. The only person I really hate is wolfspirit :V:! It's not like I really would like Niche and Blizz to be fused. Hell, no! Of course you understand that (I hope), but I hope you get my point.

lol, I wasn't refering to you in any way, I rather meant Niche and Magus. So, I don't know if you concider yourself one of those kiddies I talked about or if you're trying to speak for them. But whatever,they won't get it anyways.

SBR*

Well, I don't consider myself one of those kiddies, but I didn't know if YOU considered me one of those kiddies. But yeah, I'm also trying to speak for them.

The Niche