~Darkness Becomes~ STORY

Started by (Hexamin), March 09, 2010, 05:43:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(Hexamin)

March 09, 2010, 05:43:54 am Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:53:29 am by (Hexamin)
Day 1: The Stars Disappear
Character Locations: ShowHide
Characters are currently identified by the first letter of their name in their specific color.  I.e.  Chris is the box with the blue "C".  Also, if you need a reference to the locations on the map, see the original thread.  http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,5791.0.html

The stars are gone.  Most everyone is too distracted by the conflict between the factions to notice.

In Unificus, Prince Wensil is reassuring the city's residents of his control.  He just announced that the Royal Guard is formed and loyal citizens may be rewarded with the opportunity to join their ranks.  Giovanni Ursa, a cousin of Prince Wensil, is heading the Royal Guard and taking liberty upon himself to issue the Royal Guard's first decree.

"Citizens of Unificus:  By order of Giovanni Ursa, Head of the Royal Guard, a census is being taken and loyalties will be signed over to Prince Wensil.  Citizens will recieve IDs and are required to always have their ID on them.  The census will take place in 2 days, and any citizen without proper ID thereafter will be properly taken care of."

Prince Capsol continues his military build up in Castle Terna.  A draft is being issued for all men age 16 to 40 to join the ranks of the Republic or face banishment (at best).

In Shishra, Zenith continues welcoming all who come seeking him and his power.  He has established an arena to test potential followers.  The wannabe-Freeseekers fight to the death in the arena, but the victors are allowed into the palace of Zenith to train and study his ways.

The village, Fendmoore, was far enough away from all the commotion of the factions, so several of it's inhabitants noticed the absence of the stars and began whispering about what it could possibly mean.

Crossroads was busier than ever.  People were leaving the major cities due to the new martial laws being enacted.  The inns were all crowded in this town, the nightlife was crazier than ever.  Not only were members of opposing factions breaking into fights, but anyone caught outside would end up getting mugged or running for their life.

Rumor of the Day
Beer Wench #1: "I heard there are people living in the mountains that don't even know the King died!"
Beer Wench #2: "No.  That can't be possible.  You would have to be crazy to step foot into the mountains, let alone live up there.  What about all the goblins and who knows what else is up there?"
Beer Wench #1: "You're probably right, I don't know what I was thinking."

Significant Events
-Unificus will have a census in 2 days
-Prince Capson has issued a draft
-Zenith has set up an arena for those who wish to become a Freeseeker

Character starting locations are locked in.  By the way, since this is Day 1, and you are the first characters in the game, the Storyteller sees fit to make today exceptionally lucky.  What does that mean?  Well, start playing the game and you'll find out when the Storyteller interacts with you.
Max 1111101000; characters remaining: 1110111000

Diokatsu

Pyrrhus wandered the buzzing town unmoved by the excitement. As the townsfolk flitted from place to place, he walked along his own path, unflinching, but without a destination. Time had wearied him and the previous day was long, harsh and bitter. It seemed that everyday was a repeat of the last though, never escaping from time's gaping maw as if the world consumed him with the phlegm of misnomered autonomy, the guise of freedom masking fate. Turn by turn, the streets passed by and in a never ending daze his path was harried by the thoughts awoken by the sleepless dark in his mind.

The prospect of banishment didn't cause him fear, but the idea of fighting wasn't to his likign either. If he were to fight, he would be marked by the military and could be traced later, so long as they kept supervision of their soldiers as a top priority.

Pyrrhus found himself in front of the draft office with a glint in his eye. Whether or not he would join was yet to be determined, but his will was made up. He knew what he wanted to do.

(Hexamin)

The Rebuplic Office (one of many in the town) was full of commotion.  Some were part of the Republic directing people left and right, making sense of the chaos, others were worried women begging the officials to not send their sons and husbands away.  Captain Orion didn't think much of the hectic atmosphere, until a calm figure entered the room.  Orion didn't get excited over much, but this stranger delighted the young captain.  There was just something about the stranger's serenity that lured Captain Orion over.  He made his way through the sea of people and finally was in front of Pyrrhus.  Examining Pyrrhus up and down, he knew a fine soldier could be made of this one, one that could help lead the fight against Prince Wensil.

Captain Orion cleared his throat and spoke up, "You, there's something different about you, I could feel it the moment you entered.  This draft is maddening, I have to stand by all day long while pipsqueaks and their old, even weaker fathers are filed into the Republic's military ranks.  It's rare that you should stand out.  What would you say to forgetting the draft and instead joining the Republic's ranks as an officer?"

This was rather front of Captain Orion, but he knew what he wanted, and he was a person who always got what he wanted too.  Now he just waited for Pyrrhus's reply.  Would Pyrrhus join Captain Orion as a military officer in the Republic?

WhiteRose

Chris spotted the notice regarding a census and an Oath of Loyalty, but passed it by with only a glance. An Oath of Loyalty? Sure. Honesty had never been one of her strong points, so she didn't mind any oaths or such ridiculousness. She didn't believe in karma or any of the like; nothing would happen to oath-breakers except an advantage over those stupid enough to believe in such things. She'd swear to whatever those pompous fools who were in charge of this place wanted. Briefly, a thought entered her mind that they would somehow use some sort of super-natural powers to enforce the oath, but she dismissed it quickly as nonsense. Besides, she had more important things to do: today, she was going to hunt out the Thieves Guild. For a long time, she had believed that it was best to be in this business by herself, but with the rising commotion in the city, it would be good to have others to watch her back. Mentally rummaging through the rumors she had heard regarding the group, she thought up a couple shady locations where she would be able to find them or at least gather more information, and set off towards the first on the list.

Subsonic_Noise

March 09, 2010, 02:25:01 pm #4 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:12:35 pm by Shiny Magikarp
Vael
It took him some time to get back into his hideout. Although the abdoned hut he was currently living in was apart from the actual town, he still had to pay attention - after all, the guards where probably searching for him and if he was found, he'd have to flee again.
Vael let out a sigh and called a small flame to warm his hands. He had been careless once again... he got caught before, but this time was different. It was the first time since 5 years that he lost control over his flames, and only by luck he was able to get away when the guards arrived.
He might have to leave soon anyways.
And yes, I know my writing style is aweful... just trying to have fun here, lol

(Hexamin)

March 09, 2010, 03:21:29 pm #5 Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:24:00 am by (Hexamin)
@Chris

The Thieves Guild had eyes everywhere, yet it existed nowhere.  Of course it would be knowledgeable of the goings and comings in Unificus--just because the city was large and now under a sort of martial law, did not mean the Guild was set back in any way.  In fact, it began to thrive like it never had before.  It's amazing how many petty thieves were swept off the streets with the death of King Ursa and the rising to power of Prince Wensil.  Once the Royalists began patrolling the streets at night, petty crime virtually stopped in Unificus.  For the thieves in the Guild, this was refreshing, they hated amateurs, and now only had to pay attention to a select few who still stalked in shadows at night.

One girl had caught their eye; however, due to her young age, they never considered her before.  However, when Chris showed up to a shady home and knocked on the door, the old man who answered the door was surprised.  The old man happened to be Scott Hemming, and one of the Guild's oldest members.  For years now he had been "retired" although no one truly retires from the Guild.  Although he didn't go running around on missions from the Guild any more, he was one of the Guild's eyes and he had noticed Chris before.  He took this encounter with her as a sign that she was indeed ready to be tested.

Scott Hemming opened the door.  "Come in Chris."

He led her inside and secured the door tightly behind her.  "I've had my eye on you, and it seems as if you haven't been completely blind to our presence.  What if I told you I could divulge secret knowledge of the Guild to you?  What if I told you, you could be a part of something that does not exist?"

@Vael

Shishra's guards had lost Vael and the head guard knew he could not return to Zenith empty handed.  Zenith had heard of a young man capable of creating an intense flame that consumes everything around him.  Somehow this man had escaped Zenith's guards many times and Zenith grew tired of chasing him.  The head guard, Ryan Scott, had lost Vael again.  He shook his head in disappointment at himself, but then noticed something out of the corner of his eye.  It was a piece of clothing covered in dirt, it had to of belonged to Vael.  But this dirt wasn't found inside the city, but on the south-eastern outer wall of the city.  Now Ryan and the rest of the guards had a clue as to find this supposed firemaster.

There were huts scattered outside the city, an area where the extremely poor people could live without spreading their filth to the rest of the town.  After searching the 7th hut, Ryan was getting discouraged again.  He decided he'd search one more hut before returning to town for the night, empty-handed. All Ryan had to do was get a hold of Vael long enough to inform him of a requested audience with Zenith.  Surely any young adventurer would be happy to know that the great Zenith desired his presence... why was Vael being so elusive?  It probably didn't help that the guards had been known to use more than necessary force... but nevertheless, Ryan would not give up.  As he stepped up to the door he smelled the air, it smelled of burnt hair.  Had he finally found where the burning man lived?  He knocked on the door and heard movement inside.  "Come on, open the door so we can have a chat!"

No one responded.  Ryan looked to the other guards and nodded.  He broke into the hut and saw a man in tattered clothes.  It was Vael.  The guards reluctantly held Vael down, knowing what Vael was capable of.

Ryan spoke slowly, "You're not in trouble.  I just want to talk."  The head guard exhaled.  "You were a pain in my ass to catch you know?"  Vael still said nothing.  "Well look, the Lord Zenith has requested an audience with you.  He has heard of your powers and is impressed.  What do you say?  Will you come willingly?"

Aqua

Seles sat at the edge of the pier with her feet barely kicking the surface of the water.  Her humbles shoes were scattered a few feet behind her, while her Guqin was laid gently at her side.  She gazed towards the sky, watching the bloody red dome turn to cooler hues with a few stars branding their light for all to see.
Despite the approaching night, Seles did not feel cold as a warm, gentle breeze kept her company.  She lazily plucked a few strings with her right hand without changing their tones with her left, letting their purity ring through the approaching night.  A few serene bars were hummed as the sun slowly died that day.  Fish gathered near her feet, almost as to listen to the songtress's informal performance.  Everything was at peace.

Subsonic_Noise

March 09, 2010, 03:56:57 pm #7 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:27:22 pm by Shiny Magikarp
Vael didn't resist. He knew that doing something acting hash could put him in serious trouble and while he didn't fear the guards, he didn't want to end up in prison, especially not because of a stupid mistake like this.
He examined the guards closely. By what he could see, they didn't wear anything that he could easyly set on fire, and the guards holding him down would be able to stop him before he could built up a bigger fire. They seem to be well prepared, Vael thought with a sad smile.
He assumed that Zenith probably wanted to have him on his side before any of the other fraction could get him, but Vael wasn't interested in siding with any faction in this laughable conflict. It didn't seem like he had another choice right now, though. Vael sighed once again.
"I'm coming with you... and can't promise anything though."

WhiteRose

Chris was surprised; never had she expected things to go so smoothly. She knew the Guild would have been watching potential members, but she had no idea she had been on the list. 'Well,' she thought to herself, 'I guess when you're as fantastically good at something as I am, there's no use hidin' it.' Trying her best not to let her excitement show on her face, she hung up her tattered cloak and helped herself to a seat. Certainly, there wasn't any sort of trick behind all this? From what little she had heard of the mysterious Guild, she wouldn't put it past them.
"I'm listenin'," she said in response to the old man, her piercing blue eyes not leaving his.

(Hexamin)

March 09, 2010, 04:31:19 pm #9 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:52:38 pm by (Hexamin)
@Seles

As the sun set in Fendmoore, the townsfolk slowly moved their activities inside.  Fishermen got off their boats and carried today's catch inside, while mothers herded their children inside.  Only two remained outside to watch the sun set.  A young girl, appearing to be roughly 7 years of age, silently watched as the musician fiddle with her instrument.  In the background the sun set.  The young girl looked up at the sky as it grew dark in the sun's absence.  She frowned at the darkness of the night and suddenly was afraid of being alone.

Stepping out from her hiding place, she revealed her tattered clothes to the musician, and scuffed face.  Her arms were too skinny, the young girl was emaciated, and almost hard to look at.  The girl, aware of her own awkwardness hesitated when the musician turned around to look at her.  What could the young girl say?  After a few unnerving moments of silence, the young girl began to turn to run away into the dark.  In a panic she dropped a picture she had been clutching tightly, she turned to look at the picture falling to the ground, then at the musician by the water, fear became the best of her, however, and she took off running without the picture.

The picture was a well-done drawing of what appeared to be the girl, and next to her a tall man, both of them elegantly dressed and no where near Fendmoore.

@Vael
"Smart choice!"  Ryan Scott laughed as he shooed the guards away from Vael and helped him to his feet.  "Now then, we can't have you appearing before Zenith in such rag-tag clothing, haven't you got anything else to wear?"  Ryan thought to himself and remembered just what Vael was known for, and suddenly realized clothes might be hard to come by for a guy that spontaneously combusted.  "Nevermind that, Ryan reassured him.  We'll get you something to wear back at the armory, and then make our way to the great Zenith himself!"  The guards followed Ryan and Vael out of his shack as the headed to the armory.  Once there, Vael was given new clothes to wear, an elaborate suit, that just seemed ridiculous for Vael to wear considering his "condition".  Nevertheless, tomorrow Vael would meet Zenith.  Til then he was locked up with the guards in the armory.

Ryan Scott approached Vael.  "Well, you can bed down here tonight.  I have a family to tend to, but I will be here first thing in the morning to take you to the palace.  If you need anything, just ask any of the guards."  With that, Ryan waved goodbye and left the armory.

@Chris
Scott noticed Chris's childish excitement, but set it aside.  There was no doubt as to her skills, in fact, at times Chris would seem to vanish completely from the Guild's eyes.  "I've noticed you have a unique... characteristic about you."  The old man walked over to a kettle and poured two cups of what could only be assumed was tea.  He handed Chris a cup and began sipping his.  He watched her blue eyes and lowered his cup.

"Chris...  I will be honest with you.  I have watched people for many years now and no one has ever escaped my gaze.  There are those out there who have called me Stone-eyed Scott, for my glare never waivers.  If I didn't know better, I'd say you had a cloak of invisibility, but I know that can't be true, because there are only a few left in the world and they all belong to a certain organization.  You are not part of that organization.  Also, you were not fully invisible, at least not to my eyes.  Although many people pass you by while you creep in the shadows, you're sloppy and affect the environment around you when moving with your.... technique."  Scott sipped his tea again.  He continued staring into the girl's blue eyes, and was impressed by her attentiveness.  Although her earlier excitement made her years (or lack there of) obvious, she had a sense of maturity about her.

"Whatever method you have of cloaking yourself-and don't try to deny this ability, I know you have something up your sleeve-this ability is going to waste.  Although you do have quick fingers and have gotten your hands on many things that don't belong to you, you're still so young and lack true experience.  My full name is Scott Hemming and I am making a proposition.  I am offering you to become my pupil."  He realized he might of disappointed the girl by teasing her with rumors of the Thieves Guild initially, but he had to draw her in and keep her attention some how.  He knew the Guild wouldn't accept her as she currently was, but with the right fine tuning, he just might make a respectable thief out of her yet.

Aqua

Seles cried out, "Wait!" to the little girl, but the command was not followed.  The musician quickly grabbed her instrument with one hand, carefully picked up the drawing with the other, and ran to follow the girl, leaving her shoes on the pier.  Seeing as the girl would not slow down, Seles began to sing a serenade that her mother would always sing to her when she was younger to calm her down.
The sweet notes left the singer's lips and quickly reached the listener's ear.
A feeling of hush fell over the girl as she started to slow down, enjoying the tune.
Seles caught up with her and presented the drawing to the girl with a simple, "Here."

Subsonic_Noise

shit, I was planning for something to happen on the way there xD whatever then
Vael
Vael sat down. He didn't know what to do anymore, or even what to expect.
He didn't want to join Zenith, and something inside him just refused to accept that he had no way out now - the guards might still inprison him when he refused, after all, whatever they said, they caught him for the crimes he commited.
He looked around in the armory. Although they pretended to take him as a guest, this seemed more like a prison cell to him. The guards blocked every possible exit and although he was told to "bed" here, he couldn't find any place that looked like a roost.
Silently he kept sitting there, staring at the ceiling. The cold, humid air and the blank stone the walls where made of brought back the memories from 5 years ago.

WhiteRose

Chris tried (but not too hard) to hide her disappointment; she had been expecting to be welcomed into the Thieves Guild with much pomp and circumstance, but instead here was an old geezer who probably didn't know the first thing about the Guild. No doubt he'd been making the whole thing up-
She felt a strong grip on her arm. The silverware had been absentmindedly disappearing into her pack, but Scott had grabbed her arm before she could remove her hand from the pouch. Without a word, he pulled the silverware back out and placed it again on the table.
"Wow, would you look at that? I wonder how that got in there." said Chris with a nervous chuckle. "You've gotta keep a closer eye on your stuff, mate; it's a good thing I was holdin' onto that for you. Never know when some thief might be lurking around to nick it, ya know?"
Scott did not appear to be amused. Chris was quite impressed he had managed to catch her; for an old man, he sure was quick on his feet. Maybe some lessons wouldn't be such a bad thing, after all. She took a sip of her tea and sighed. "Alright. You win. When do we start?"

(Hexamin)

March 09, 2010, 05:37:15 pm #13 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:41:02 pm by (Hexamin)
@Seles
"I... uh-"  The little girl was shy and didn't quite understand why she had stopped running.  Nevertheless, there was a strange comfort coming from the singer's lips.  The little girl was obviously tired and hungry, and now filled with a long-forgotten comfort, her eyes filled with tears and she ran into the musician's arms, grabbing the picture just before collapsing from exhaustion.

@Vael
A fat guard waltzed over towards Vael.  "I suppose you's be needin' a place to sleep, hmm?"  It was hard to understand the guard, but it was understood the guard was offering a bed for Vael.  "We's guards have a room that you'll be stayin' in too.  Just follow me."  The fat guard slowly bounced back and forth towards a doorway, where laughter and loud voices could be heard.  As Vael and the guard stepped into the room, another guard shut and locked the heavy door behind them.

The gatekeeper spoke up, "Welcome to your home for the night.  Sure as hell beats that shack you were in before, don't you think"  The gatekeeper waited for a laugh.  "Nevermind that.  I suggest you get some shut eye, you have a big day tomorrow."  The room was filled with bunks--each bed draped with sheets and wool blankets... very.... flammable... wool blankets.   Unfortunately the room was also quite small with all those beds crammed in there.  It would make a nice coffin for all the guards... and Vael as well if he tried anything.

@Chris
Years of his trade had allowed Scott to maintain intense concentration, and he needed to do so to repress the urge to laugh.  He was actually quite impressed with himself being able to appear completely void of amusement.  The truth was he'd been stuck in the Guild for too long, everyone was so serious there.  This girl was refreshing and reminded him of his days before the Guild.  He quit daydreaming and reeled himself back to reality.

"Tomorrow."  He said abruptly, and sternly as to not show his softer side.  "It obvious you can hide in shadows, but you don't truly understand the concept of stealth until you can hide in plain sight.  Tomorrow we'll see just what you're really capable of."  The old man finished sipping his tea, set it down and saw Chris to the door.  "I suggest you meet me under the clock tower at 9 in the morning.  Sharp."  He emphasized sharp while slamming the door on Chris, leaving her outside in the dark.  Maybe he overdid the dramatics on that last bit.  Even so, Scott Hemming was glad to take on a new pupil, something he hadn't done in years.

Day 1 is coming to a close.
Feel free to post any final character storyline for the close of Day 1.  (it's late here, so I'll wake up early and post Day 2, seeing how some people haven't been able to contribute to Day 1 at all.  I'll give them a chance to in the 4-6 hours I sleep.)

Aqua

Seles comforted the small girl in her arms and decided to treat her to dinner to help fight the hunger.  After strapping her Guqin to her back, Seles led the small girl back to town.
"How would you like to have a meal with me?" Seles asked with a smile.
The girl was too shy to reply with her voice, so she just nodded instead.
The two walked hand in hand towards a tavern of Seles' choosing.  They walked in, and the keeper greeted his frequent comer.
"Lady Seles, coming to perform again tonight?" He asked with a grin.  He always got more patrons when there was a performance.
"Not tonight, Kirk.  I'm treating this little one to dinner," Seles replied with a nod signaling her guest.
"Well, you can sit yourself anyway, my Lady."

The two sat at a small table near a corner.
"You can order anything you would like," the elder told the younger.
The small girl quickly nodded while peering quickly at the short menu.
"I want everything!" she exclaimed.
Seles was taken aback by the fact that she had said her first words to the songstress rather than the fact that she wanted everything.
Seles smiled and told Kirk that they wanted everything.

After a short time, both had their fill, but there was still plenty of leftovers.
Seles told the waiter to wrap them up, as the young girl sat there awkwardly, resuming to remain silent.
"Don't worry about paying," Seles started, "I got it covered.  And also, bring these leftovers to your family; I'm sure they'd love it."
"Thank you, Lady Seles," the girl replied with a nod and a smile.
Seles laughed.  "Just call me Seles.  'Lady' is just a title that Kirk likes to add."
A short silence ensued.
"How about we get you home?"
"Okay."

The pair walked together again, hand in hand, under the night sky.  The little girl became more talkative and said random things that Seles followed for the time being but would probably forget in the morning.
Before they reached the destination, Seles asked for the little girl's name.
"Aurora."  And she ran off.

Trainer Zydragon

March 09, 2010, 06:08:51 pm #15 Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:11:05 pm by Zydragon
Kiba

Kiba sat alone in the gentle candlelight, trying to concentrate on the breeze outside his open window as he had been doing for hours before. He felt himself slipping, remembering the events of the day. He had been told not to sign up for the military draft, and that it was being handled.

Kiba wondered what the head Paladin had in store for him, and thoughts of another 5 dismal years of training, that he did not believe was needed, diminished his concentration completely. Surely they wouldn't keep him here? Of course he was just speculating, they had not yet told him anything. He had sensed something wrong in the winds recently, and his thoughts shifted to the possibility that there was a connection with his current situation.

Standing, Kiba paced over to the selection of candles on his plain chest of drawers, and relit the candles that had been blown out.
He slowly wandered back to his bed and sat with his back straightened against one edge, again attempting to hone his concentration, attempting to sense the air, attempting to feel it, to tap into it. He focused his mind completely, blocking out the flickering candlelight in an otherwise dark night.

And there he sat until the morning's sun woke him from his tranced state.

Subsonic_Noise

Vael looked around in his room. This was better than the hut he had to live in before, but still, he couldn't feel comfortable. Something about this sitatuation made him feel trapped, made him break out in an irrational fear. Suddenly, Vael noticed that there where flames burning on his arms, moving around his fingers.
He quickly put them out and looked around to see if anyone saw it, but the guard was already gone.
He only lost control of his powers once five years ago, but now it happened twice in one day.
Something was changing.
And it was changing for the worse.
Vael knew that he would not be able to sleep this night.

Diokatsu

Pyrrhus thought about his situation. In most cases, accepting such a generous propose would be of no consequence, but the problem was the military. He was dogged by the military once before for deserting, but in some senses he had loved the excitement that preceded it. The fights, the action, the command. It was the aphrodisiac to his sensuous lust for war. However, he was coming of age. It's a common trait among youth to search for the golden horizon, but Pyrrhus was beyond that. Or so it seemed.

Also, yet another advantage peaked his interest. As he turned his dagger in his hand, he thought of the money, the security and the power he would gain. In his mind, there exists not one but two minds, the one of reason and the one of passion and both consented to the same option.

"I'll join," he said, his words sticking to his throat.

King Munkey

Revan made it into the Crossroads just before nightfall. Overly exhausted from his long ride he couldn't wait to sleep in an actual bed. As the young adventurer walked excitedly through unfamiliar territory he took in all there was to see. He finally caught sight of an inn. Starting to head towards his awaiting bed he caught sight of a large crowd centered outside of this building. Four men had started to fight amongst each other. Only few tried to stop the fight and those that did wound up joining into the fight. Revan managed to make it through the crowd and into the inn. He was greeted by a nervous young woman barely passing for 18. Revan noticed her attractive appearance and was sure many men have tried to force themselves onto her.

"He... Hello sir, if you are looking for a room I must say that we are all out of smaller rooms. All we have left is a room meant for a larger party." She spoke softly giving him a small smile.

Revan returned the smile and replied. "Well I don't have any other company with me but I will take the room for the night."

She nodded "Wise choice, you do not want to be caught outside during the night. Follow me and I will show you to the room." Revan followed the young woman up the stairs and to his room.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

(Hexamin)

Day 2: Wednesday
Character Locations: ShowHide

In Fendmoore a homeless girl, curled up underneath a bench, woke up to the rising sun.  Her parent's had died when she was a baby and since then her uncle had been taking care of her.  A tall fellow, very well-to-do, who always treated Aurora like a princess.  However, he was far too ambitious for his own good.  In fact, George Serna, the uncle, had noticed a change in the world just before the King died.  It was suddenly darker to him, and at the realization of this change, he formulated a plan.  He'd heard rumors of an island where ancient stones were said to hold powers of insight and even foresight.  If he had this knowledge he could return to the mainland with new information and spread the word, adding fame to his wealth.  So the day the King died, George just so happened to set out on his journey.  He would travel to Fendmoore and buy a boat, then set sail on his own in search for these stones.  Oh he loved his niece, and it broke his heart to leave her behind, but at the same time, the past 6 years of his life were ruined by having to babysit for this child instead of living life in its prime.  He was now an older man than he was 6 years ago and if he waiting any longer, he might never find his purpose in life.

After abandoning the child and setting sail, George Serna was confronted by a horrible storm on the sea.  His boat wrecked, and he drowned.  Karma seemed to have been watching his every move.

Aurora shivered, then stood up and began walking around Fendmoore, unnoticed by the local populace, but at least today she woke a little less hungry.

In Unificus, the Royal Guard would continue parading through the streets, shouting word of the census taking place tomorrow.  Everyone was to be in their homes from the hours of 8 a.m. tomorrow, to 8 a.m. the next day.  Prince Wensil had a large number of men at his disposal in reinforcing Unificus and making the city safe for its loyal citizens.  Over the next days, more and more Royal Guardsmen would patrol the streets and man the towers around the city.

Scott Hemming woke that day at his usual time--before the sun rose, and poured his tea.  He thought of his visitor last night and of what the day would have in store for him.  It had been a while since the old man had gone out in public, so he ruffled through his clothes for something clean, and dressed after he sponge bathed some of the stench off of him.  He opened the door as the sun was shedding the first light of the day on the city.

Crossroads looked like the after picture of a great arena.  Outside one inn, in particular, 4 bodies were being dragged away by a clean-up crew.  More members of the clean-up crew were scrubbing at and mopping up the blood stains on the ground.  The citizens of Crossroads didn't even pay attention to the mess, but travelers passing by could help but stare.

A woman dressed in a dark emerald robe and traveling from the west part of town laughed as she passed by, but then abruptly stopped, after realizing what just escaped her mouth.

Lord Zenith woke in his palace in Shisra, and after dressing and eating, he walked to his throne room.  The aesthetics of success always amused Zenith.  He really had no desire for all the fancies that power brought, but he realized they were necessary to maintain a proper image.  Zenith threw the doors open with his mind and then was pleasantly surprised.  There in front of him was a man, a man who was definitely out of place and escorted by Ryan Scott, Zenith's head guard.

"Is this who I believe it is?"

Ryan Scott quickly answered, "We've been searching night and day for him, yesterday we finally found him cooped up in a dirty old shack outside of town."

Zenith eyeballed the lad with no expression on his face.  "Very well, he needn't be here, however.  I have no use for him unless he really is capable of what I heard.  Take him with the others to the Arena."

Ryan stood upright, "Yes sir."  He took Vael by the arm and led him to the Arena.  The Arena was huge, and inside it was more of a heavily guarded marketplace than anything else.  "Here you will be allowed to outfit yourself for your fight.  It seems Zenith wants to see your power in action, so you'll be pitted against some random bloke in the Arena.  Feel free to look around, choose a weapon, some armor if you'd like.  Just make sure you're ready for the fight, it will be at midday."

Captain Orion was eager to process his new Lieutenant into the Army of the Republic.  The day prior, Orion told Pyrrhus to gather what belongings he needed and show up at the Castle Armory in the morning.  Pyrrhus would be positioned directly under a veteran officer, Captain Nerub, and would have the unique opportunity of being a part of the 1st infantry battalion under Prince Capsol's banner.  This battalion would be the first to step foot outside of Castle Terna since the King died and it's soldiers were eager to experience the excitement of war.

Deep in the Castle, the Order of Paladins made council with Prince Capsol.  The prince sat at the head of a large table, with cloaked figures lining the rest of the table.  Each paladin was tall and dark, a contrast to their holy ways.

The prince spoke loudly and fast.  "Why has this council been summoned?"

One of the paladins stood and spoke, "Prince Capsol, we believe you blinded by rage towards your brother and are acting too hastily with the draft and advancement of your military."  Any other man would be a fool to speak such words to the prince, however, these ancient paladins held great prestige in the kingdom and the prince was lucky to have them on his side.

Prince Capsol took a deep breath, "I realize your meticulous ways of planning and plotting, gentlemen.  However, time is NOT a luxury I currently have at my disposal.  My brother, is currently refortifying what should be my city, and I will not stand idly by while now is the best chance to strike!"

"Young Capsol," another, older paladin projected from the end of the table, "if you send an assault against Unificus now, you will surely fail."

The prince was clearly flustered, "Old paladins, instead of questioning my methods, where is your support?  Why don't you aid my 1st battalion of soldiers and send some of your paladins to fight along side them?  Or do you not truly support me in the first place?"

The Order of Paladins remained quiet for a moment, then whispered among itself.  One paladin stood up.  "We will send paladins with you, m'lord, despite our reluctance to support such rash actions."

With that, Prince Capsol stood and exited the room abruptly.

Rumor of the Day
Soldier #1:  I talked with a goblin once.
Soldier #2What?  That's nonsense, everyone knows goblins are unintelligent creatures, capable only of mindlessly destroying anything made by man!
Soldier #1:  No, I swear it!  The goblin even made me dinner and I sat down with its family!
Soldier #2:  You have been in this army way too long!  *hysterical laughter*
Soldier #1:  *joins in with more laughter*

-Unificus will have a census in 1 day
-The 1st Battalion of Prince Capsol's army will deploy along with a platoon of paladins, supporting the movement, 0600 tomorrow
-The Arena in Shishra will have its premier fight today, between Mark Vix (a legendary adventurer) and young Firemaster, Vael
-A shadow fell over Crossroads