[RESOLVED] Display Problems on Vista

Started by skyrune83, February 26, 2008, 10:25:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

skyrune83

February 26, 2008, 10:25:35 am Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:27:45 pm by Blizzard
I just got Vista, and I'm having a problem: when I playtest in RPGMXP, the character/map movement is very jolty, not very smooth like on my XP computer.  Surely the better processor and RAM should make it appear LESS jolty?  Is there a way to fix this?  Is this because of DirectX?  I've heard reports of problems with 10, and my old computer had 9.0c...

Computer Specs:
Dell Vostro 1500,
DirectX 10
Intel Core2 Duo T5270,
Vista Home Premium,
2GB RAM,
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 1280x800 resolution

nerissya

That does not happen to me with Vista..   But uhm, the problem with vista is usually that it wont let you do things. Always try to use Run as administrator. Thats all i can give you im afraid. Also, in this case you wouldn't be able to playtest from the editor but you'd have to use the "game" Shortcut in your gamefolder.. :/

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Blizzard

There's also one thing you should try. Press F1 and turn on the first two options.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

nerissya

February 26, 2008, 10:53:47 am #3 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:54:28 am by nerissya
Oooh, i thought those 2 was on by default. ^^

Edit: Atleast the first one. ^^

Todd

Quote from: Blizzard on February 26, 2008, 10:49:56 am
There's also one thing you should try. Press F1 and turn on the first two options.

I didn't even know those options were there!  (lol)  Yup, that fixed the problem... no more jitters.

I knew I could count on you Blizzard!  ;D

skyrune83

February 26, 2008, 02:45:13 pm #5 Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 02:45:51 pm by skyrune83
That was me (Todd), btw.  Forgot to log in  :P

nerissya

Blizzard

I just solved this problem that's been bothering mankind from the beginning of time.

1 + 1 = ROOT OF 2!!!

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

1 + 1 = root of 2? how the fck? Am I so ignorant that I don't see anything or are you losing it because of working too much with BABS? OMG! Warning to all BABS users!! All the math in that collosally large script is insane!! Playing that would demonstrate how to defy the laws of physics!!

...ahem, back on topic, if you're running Vista on a laptop, the power scheme can make a difference. A power saver scheme (like 'Power Saver' in my laptop) decreases the processor frequency and things become jerky. The same thing happened to me a while back. I checked for the F1 options and everything was fine. I was afraid if my comp was going bad, but later realized that I could observe the change almost instantly when I switched from 'Power Saver' to 'Balanced'.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

1 + 1 = root of 2, yes. How? 2 vectors with a angle of 90° between them. =P

Fantasist

Not fair! You misled me with this:
QuoteI just solved this problem that's been bothering mankind from the beginning of time.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Blizzard

skyrune83

Quote from: Fantasist on February 27, 2008, 08:58:20 am
...ahem, back on topic, if you're running Vista on a laptop, the power scheme can make a difference. A power saver scheme (like 'Power Saver' in my laptop) decreases the processor frequency and things become jerky. The same thing happened to me a while back. I checked for the F1 options and everything was fine. I was afraid if my comp was going bad, but later realized that I could observe the change almost instantly when I switched from 'Power Saver' to 'Balanced'.

Yeah, I have a Dell Vostro, and I am always trying to tweek the power settings to get it to work correctly.  I found that certain settings make for a high pitched humming as well, which is quite annoying.  So changing those settings affects the game refresh rate I guess?

Fantasist

In a way. It's basically the same as disabling the 'PentiumIII' (or likewise) option from the F1 menu. Unticking that option doesn't use much CPU power, so it's jerky. The game becomes jerky even if the processor is not able to cater to the needs of the program, even if that option is ticked.