HOW DO I JAZZ???

Started by Subsonic_Noise, March 11, 2010, 10:00:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsonic_Noise

So, I kind of was invited to a music compositon contest from a quite well-known german big band.
I, of course, agreed, because I figured it would be some good practice and the winner would get his music recorded and played live as well as 3000€.
The problem is: HOW DO I JAZZ?
My bass teacher already gave me some quick lessons on jazz theory, and I already got my first chords progression (d7 G7 Cmaj7 Fmaj7 F#0 B7 E7 E7, in case you where intersted, which you probably wheren't)
but what makes Jazz sound like Jazz? Any typical rythms, melody forms, etc?

winkio

Lay down some jazzy licks, baby 8)

My recommendations are light drums, speedy runs of notes, well placed rests, and lots of syncopation (with accents if you can).

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Arceus on March 11, 2010, 11:53:35 am
Lay down some jazzy licks, baby 8)

My recommendations are light drums, speedy runs of notes, well placed rests, and lots of syncopation (with accents if you can).

That's something I can work with, thanks! Already got the light drums (was a bit tricky concidering the 7/4 time signature and the swing feel), but I'll work on te rest now.. but accents might be difficult, since I don't really know where to set them in this time signature.
7/4 is basically a 4/4 and a 3/4, right?

winkio

yeah, that's a good way to do it, but it can be in either order (3/4 then 4/4, or 4/4 then 3/4)

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Arceus on March 11, 2010, 02:01:19 pm
yeah, that's a good way to do it, but it can be in either order (3/4 then 4/4, or 4/4 then 3/4)

Ok then, thanks. I think it's the first one in my case, judging from the drums. Now I just need to work out some nifty brass, lol.

Blizzard

I remember one thing that should help you.

QuoteIn Jazz you often have two instruments "talking" to each other. You play a few tunes with one instrument, then a few with the other, again a few with the first one and so on.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Champion Blizzard on March 12, 2010, 06:14:38 am
I remember one thing that should help you.

QuoteIn Jazz you often have two instruments "talking" to each other. You play a few tunes with one instrument, then a few with the other, again a few with the first one and so on.

Yep, helps, too. Now I just have to work out some good brass melodies. It's a bit hard with those chords abd the 7/4 time signature, but I think it might work out well. Already sounds quite jazzy right now xD