Sprite_character tweak (or maybe BABS??)

Started by Ravenith, March 12, 2010, 07:36:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravenith

Hello.

As I said in another topic, I have a request. Let me explain.
I'm casually working on a top-down space shooter (BABS, of course :) ) and an issue with character sprites came up.

Let me explain. Rpg Maker XP by default splits each character sprite (taller than 1 tile) in half.
The lower half is the "corporeal" part of the sprite, and the red dot (as seen in the pic) is the sprite's "center".
The upper half is supposed to be the character's upper body. It is displayed on on a higher layer to give a sense of height to the characters.

In Blizzard ABS the projectiles seem to come from the sprite's center (which is actually the lower half's center).
This causes the spaceship to shoot its ultra p4wnz0r beams from a weird place when facing left or right.

So, the request.
I'd like to have this "height" feature disabled, so each sprite's center would be where its real center lies (blue dot on the example picture).
Alternatively, if there is another way to fix this (through BABS maybe?), I'll welcome it with open arms, of course.

Thanks in advance for your time... :)

Sase

I think you can fix it by moving the particle up a bit in the sprite when it's going left or right (as far as BABS even uses character sprites for shooted particles, I haven't tried it in ages!)

Ravenith

Yeah, projectiles are characters too. Thanks for the tip, but in order to do that I'd have to make all my character sprites equal in size, which would be impractical to say in the least.

Sase

Of course you can make multiple different weapon Character graphics for a character sprite of each size, though it won't be that much easier.

Ravenith