New Engine Idea

Started by fugibo, February 26, 2008, 09:06:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fugibo

Since RMVX is (coming?) out, how about we make RMXP a little bit more appealing by making an awesome new engine for it, with DREAM, ToA-Os, and a Real-Time Engine (manages time differences and the like, such as for DDNSs or ATBs) plus Keyboard & Mouse input, and maybe even some stuff like gradients and special shapes added in as methods. We could also get rid of any useless crap - I know for an example that when I was working on a project I gave up on, a Message System, the only problem I ran into was all the crap they put into the message display checking -- I had to look up some crap to even understand a few lines its so stupid.

What do ya'll think?

Starrodkirby86

I have seen these concoctions before (Most of them if not all), which means this wouldn't be the hardest thing to compile. I would be interested in it, someone has to make a complete overhaul to the RPG Maker XP default engine, might as well make it CP to do it. It sounds nice on the forum side, and it's all of that great stuff. Maybe with enough power you can make it look as nice as VX would be...or at least should be.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

fugibo

I just mean the default scripts...?

Or yeah, we could just go uber nerd and hack away at RMXP until its perfect. Or Blizz could. I'm still beginning to learn C, I couldn't. Unless, of course, that my secret theory that RMXP was really programmed in Ruby is true, but I don't think it is.

Nortos

Fantasist

Nice idea, but it would need some knowledge on Win32API class for starters. I wanted to use the cool new bitmap effects (blur for example) from RGSS2 dll, but I don't know thhe dll's parameters. Good idea, but it'll need perfection before we present it to the world. Then again, you can't beat VX's simplicity in mapping just with changing scripts, and hacking RMXP would be illegal. But regarding the legality issue, I believe I found a work-around, which is most likely lame. And I can't modify too much in an exe. Yes, we'd need to mod the exe for a good effect. That reminds me, I wish Blizz finds a lot of free time, so he could work on the RMXP Hybrid version *looks at Bliz*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

fugibo

Heck, I'm just saying that we should make a replacement for all the default scripts, dangit. Why do you have to make everything sound so complicated? I'm a retard, for Pete's sake, how could I come up with anything complicated?

And that's my rant for the day, sorry if it offended you...

Fantasist

I'm sorry, lol! I have a bad habit of making things look complicated (am I also like Seph in some ways :o)
I'm working on that.

On topic: I'm gonna suggest something crazy here, and you'll most probably hit me. If we ARE going to remake everything, why don't we do it in Game Maker? If someone DOES do it, it'll technically be a heck of a lot more powerful tham RMXP. Of course, we'll lose all the simplicity of RMxP's GUI... but then, what Blizz made for Blizz-ABS, we can eventually learn, right?
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

fugibo

Uhm... Where'd game maker come from...?

You do know that Ruby is open-source and all, right? As in, we could just learn C (the original C) and we'd be able to compile the entire thing, edit it, extend it, however we want, then just use the Windows API for C to make the GUIs. Does that sound plausible at all?

But, uh, by "engine" I mean we make much better replacements for the default scripts. That's all. Just RGSS. Does anyone understand what I'm saying here...?

Blizzard

FTS actually already has a project where he added some extra scripts.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

And that's still under progress, and I've decided it's more for personal use... compatibility issues... I know what you're saying WcW, but the RMXP GUI was made for the current systems. One could try, but I;m not completely up to it... not yet...

fugibo

Ah, I see what you mean. That's actually what kills most Custom Message Systems, the fact that there's still that crappy box limiting you.

Guess I'll attempt it on my own then  :)

Fantasist

Well, instead of making a new system, I plan on improving the current system.
QuoteFTS actually already has a project where he added some extra scripts.

That was what it was, the enhanced Scripts.rxdata. But it's far from an engine remodel. It's because I still don't know much about how the default scripts work. But for new systems, I can help.