What would you want in the 'perfect' 2D game making engine?

Started by winkio, July 06, 2010, 12:45:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Diokatsu on July 06, 2010, 08:40:46 am
Quote from: Branden on July 06, 2010, 08:17:41 am
Why are you making such a big deal out of it? I think the people who made 2.5D and the people who study it a lot know more about it then you, even if you are an exceptionally good programmer. And I am not saying I know everything about it, but I am just going to go off on what they say, since they do.

Can we just stop this already before this topic becomes anymore off topic? It's getting really old doing this. :xP:

I think it would be best for Blizzard and for you if you learned the terminology behind what you were talking about. If you wanted support for Mode 7 and 2.5D, then say it, not "pseudo-3D". It's like saying: I WANT A NORMAL PHONE THAT CAN BE TAKEN ANYWHERE AND CAN CALL FROM ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY, nowadays. Blizzard responded by telling you you'd need a cell phone, not a regular phone.

QFT.
Also, I rest my case. An distorted 2d image is still 2d.

Spaceman McConaughey

Diokatsu

Spaceman McConaughey

Do not care, Dio. All I did was try and state my wishes for a dream 2D engine, but no, it had to all distorted and turned into this. :P

I really suck at explaining things when I get irritated, so that's why there is all the talk of Pseudo 3D and 2.5D, I try and come up with a way to explain my point.

I really tried to explain what SN said there. Probably due to my head surgery when I was a baby, who the fuck knows. :xP:

Blizzard

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 06, 2010, 08:44:38 am
Also, I rest my case. An distorted 2d image is still 2d.

Here is a bunch of distorted 2D images.

Spoiler: ShowHide

This image does NOT display 3D. It's a bunch of distorted 2D images. Don't say that it's 3D because it's not. It's a bunch of distorted images, all distorted in certain ways. It's NOT 3D. It's 2D.

Eh, also, I am confused who is on whose side and who is for what. #_# My point is that if you want a 2D engine, stick to one. As soon as you introduce 3D effects, it's a 3D engine which you can use for a 2D game.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

I just give up. I only want this be over with.

Blizz, I'm sorry I argued so much, and that I broke the topic rules.

winkio

Some of the things I forgot:

Menu editor
HUD editor
Extensive math library
Customizable save data
Cutscene editor
Built-in basic AI (pathfinder, etc.)

Also, I think we all get the difference between 2d sprites and 3d models.  

Spaceman McConaughey

tSwitch

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr