Should I feel proud?

Started by Ryex, April 02, 2010, 12:06:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

April 02, 2010, 12:06:20 am Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:19:01 am by Professor Ryexander Elm
Just recently I finished a trainercard PHP script for PNO. it pulls save data from a database and creates an image with the right Pokemon and levels ect.

I made it by using the source code from Jc's existing VB program
the thing is I have next to no knowledge of PHP and none at all of VB! i quite literally trans-coded a 5000+ lines piece of code from a language I didn't know to a language I only kinda know. and it WORKS! even the function that interprets a long id number for what gender the Pokemon is based on data in an ini file. true JC did most of the actual code but I took it and trans-coded it to an language whose only similarity is that it is object oriented.

so I'm asking should i be proud of this accomplishment? is it even all that great of an accomplishment?
dose it prove as i think it dose that I have a firm grasp of programing not just scripting?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Tyril132

For the technical achievement? Yes.

For basing it on someone else's work? Well, that's really for you to decide.

At the very least, it's a cool idea.
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack
Personality Index:: ShowHide

G_G

Of course you should be proud. Take a look at all of the useless scripts I made I was proud of every single one of them.

Be proud. Be very a-proud

Tyril132

April 02, 2010, 12:23:34 am #3 Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:25:35 am by Tyril132
It wasn't my intent to imply that you should feel guilty or that your project isn't an accomplishment... let me try to put it another way.

My entire project is being built on the labor provided by other people.

I'm using the RMXP engine, developed by Entebrain.
I'm using probably two dozen individual scripts, mostly from this forum.
I'm using resources that other people have ripped or designed personally.
I have asked countless people for their time, feedback and help, which they have generously provided.

Will I be proud when my project is complete?

Yes.

I'm using these things as the fundamental building block of a project of my own design, and the end result will be very different from the source material.

From what I understand of the technical details of your project, this was not simply a copypasta + plug in to a few lines of scripting affair. You took an existing technology and adapted it for a different use. The only hypothetical reason I can think of for not being proud of such an accomplishment would be if you took someone else's work without credit and claimed it as your own because you made a minor revision.

That doesn't appear to be the case here, so why shouldn't you be proud?
Lv. 7 Writer | Lv. 7 Composer | Lv. 7 Mapper | Lv. 4 Eventer | Lv. 0 Scripter | Lv. 1 Spriter
DSC Project Soundtrack

winkio

In terms of being proud of a coding accomplishment, yes.  You are working your way towards fluency (where you will be comfortable enough to code anything you can think of in any language), and that translation was a big step in the right direction.   ;)

Tyril132

Much further along than I am.

I'm still learning RUBY's kinks.
DSC Project Soundtrack

Blizzard

I see nothing wrong about being proud of one's work. The problem only arises when you stick it into everybody's nose all the time (especially if it's not so good as in not of high quality). >.<
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

edwardthefma

i am the lead dev for the shellium mmorpg project
http://wiki.shellium.org/w/Mmorpg
shellium.org :) free linux shells pm me and i will gladly
help you get 1