Connecting Pickup to Line-In?

Started by WhiteRose, April 21, 2010, 07:48:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

So, I have a pick-up on my cello. It has a built-in preamp and what-not, so I know that's not the problem. I use a cable with a 1/8 in jack on one end that plugs into my laptop's Mic In, and a 1/4 in on the other end that plugs into the pick-up. However, when I try and record anything, it is VERY quiet. I know a few of you have experience in this kind of thing *coughKarpKarpcough*, so I figured I'd post this and see if anyone can help me out. Anyone know a way to make input louder? I could, of course, just increase the volume of the recording once it's all finished, but that would also increase static and feedback, would it not? I've made sure that my Mic input in the Volume Control panel is at 100, so I'm sure that's not the problem. I'm running Windows 7 and using Audacity to record.

Ryex

have you tried going in to your system audio mixer and messing with line in volume?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 21, 2010, 07:48:28 pm
So, I have a pick-up on my cello. It has a built-in preamp and what-not, so I know that's not the problem. I use a cable with a 1/8 in jack on one end that plugs into my laptop's Mic In, and a 1/4 in on the other end that plugs into the pick-up. However, when I try and record anything, it is VERY quiet. I know a few of you have experience in this kind of thing *coughKarpKarpcough*, so I figured I'd post this and see if anyone can help me out. Anyone know a way to make input louder? I could, of course, just increase the volume of the recording once it's all finished, but that would also increase static and feedback, would it not? I've made sure that my Mic input in the Volume Control panel is at 100, so I'm sure that's not the problem. I'm running Windows 7 and using Audacity to record.

But thanks for the suggestion. :)

Subsonic_Noise

April 22, 2010, 02:45:56 am #3 Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:09:02 am by Subsonic_Noise
Well, being a pickup without any external power source, it naturally only gives a very low signal and therefore would require an amp. You could use an external hardware preamp (those can be expensive, though) or a software amp (probably a vst plugin) to make up for that, that's what I do anyways.
Why don't you use a microphone, btw? Pickups mostly fail at recreating the fbeautiful sound of a cello.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I know it already has a preamp built in, my bass pickup has one, too, but the signal is still low.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on April 22, 2010, 02:45:56 am
Well, being a pickup without any external power source, it naturally only gives a very low signal and therefore would require an amp. You could use an external hardware preamp (those can be expensive, though) or a software amp (probably a vst plugin) to make up for that, that's what I do anyways.
Why don't you use a microphone, btw? Pickups mostly fail at recreating the fbeautiful sound of a cello.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I know it already has a preamp built in, my bass pickup has one, too, but the signal is still low.

It's an active pickup with a built-in preamp, and is battery powered, so I don't think that's the problem. I think I may just go pick up a microphone, though; this is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 22, 2010, 09:32:55 pm

It's an active pickup with a built-in preamp, and is battery powered, so I don't think that's the problem. I think I may just go pick up a microphone, though; this is turning out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Well, my bass pickup is battery powered and active, too, but that doesn't really do much, the volume still is pretty low.
But if you use a mic, make sure you find out the right place for it. 1 metre from the cello should work, getting too close to it will result in a very dry sound and expose even the smallest mistakes (tis what happened to me, lol) while putting it too far from it will get too much sound reflection.
The professional way would be two mics, one very close to the cello and the other 1-2 metres away, but I doubt you want to do that, lol.
Anyways, good luck with the recordings!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on April 23, 2010, 04:20:16 am
Quote from: WhiteRose on April 22, 2010, 09:32:55 pm

Well, my bass pickup is battery powered and active, too, but that doesn't really do much, the volume still is pretty low.
But if you use a mic, make sure you find out the right place for it. 1 metre from the cello should work, getting too close to it will result in a very dry sound and expose even the smallest mistakes (tis what happened to me, lol) while putting it too far from it will get too much sound reflection.
The professional way would be two mics, one very close to the cello and the other 1-2 metres away, but I doubt you want to do that, lol.
Anyways, good luck with the recordings!

Alright, I found a computer mic in my basement. I'm not sure how good the quality is, but it's a mic, at least; it should do fine for at least a few test recordings. I'll upload a few samples in a bit and you can let me know what you think.