Blizz-ABS Bug and Suggestion Compilation

Started by winkio, April 21, 2010, 03:40:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

There is no effective way to stop people from using the default HUD. xD Good that I made it ugly enough that most people, who want a least bit of decency in their game, get another one. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Availability of new HUDs was the key problem, in my opinion.  The GUI would allow non-scripters to make custom HUDs, also allowing scripters to make advanced HUDs much easier.

Blizzard

That's true. Still, one would think after Z-HUD the problem would be partially solved, but nope.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

Lazy people will always exist, it's impossible to get rid of them (even with the epic Z-hud). But the GUI will help immensely if it works well. And if it could also support tiling images, it would be completely and totally epic! (like in the Zhud)

winkio

May 04, 2010, 11:41:23 pm #44 Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:15:21 pm by winkio
All right, I'm back at home.  Let the work begin!

EDIT:  Jumping collisions seem to be fixed, just have to clear something up with Blizz.

EDIT2:  Now they are really fixed.

legacyblade

I suggest that a new topic be made for Winkio's blizzABS. The current topic has over 150 pages, which is probably a contributing factor why people literally ask the question the person before them did. Reading through that trying to find an answer is a heafty undertaking. And since most of the data in the topic has been outdated with newer versions, I think a new topic would be a great idea. Or just deleting all but the first post might have the same effect.

winkio

I disagree.  This isn't a new version or a milestone or anything, but rather a continuation of Blizz's work.  Perhaps once I hit 3.0, I will split off all the old stuff as an archive, but the fact that people ask the same question over and over is based on the number of people asking questions, and I don't think that a new topic will solve that problem.

That said, if there is an overwhelming amount of support for cleanup on the Blizz-ABS topic, I'll do it sooner.

Valdred

I'm not sure if this is already done, but you should make a faq with the blizz-abs questions.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: Valdred on May 06, 2010, 04:30:39 pm
I'm not sure if this is already done, but you should make a faq with the blizz-abs questions.

*points to manual*

poxy

Can't believe I didn't notice this thread before. That's a long list of things to do. Good luck, winkio. *1up*

I have two suggestions:
1. Allow diagonal shooting, if the character is facing up-right, down-left etc. the projectile flies the same way. Would add a bit more realism, I think. Hope that's not too hard.
2. Allow characters to move forward when attacking. With 2.7, I created sprites that seemed to move up with the attack, but that got tricky when the char's attacking downwards. Still attacks make sense if the battler's firing a gun or bow but they don't look too realistic if it is a physical attack (punching sword / swinging).
My Project: ShowHide

winkio

Diagonal shooting - that's actually a good idea, it will be an option, I'll add it to the list.
I don't get what you mean with the second one - does the player control the movement, or is it predefined?

Also, for people interested in going back to using icons for sprites:
Would you like to see any different / a choice of effects?  Originally, they just flashed like they were selected.  I can either leave them unanimated, make them flash like before, or give you another option in the config.

Landith

The icons as sprites are a good idea. As for the animation of them, give a choice of all 3, like flashy, not flashy or a different option that would be up to other people.

I have a few suggestions...a lot actually, sorry if some of them have already been mentioned.
   1. Non controllable actors - I'm not sure if that is just pets or not, just throwing that out there
   2. Ammunition having certain attributes making them different - For example your up against an Ice Giant and you have regular arrows and fiery arrows, if you equip fiery arrows it gives a new animation and different bonuses according to the enemies weakness.
   3. Grenade like items (explode on impact) - I know you already posted how to do this, but it would be cool to actually have it as an option
   4. Ammunition not being able to go on 'no enemy', 'no jump' terrain tags - So you can't shoot an arrow up a mountainside to kill something if it has that terrain tag, or you could create a new terrain tag for it. But not on no passable cause sometimes you want to shoot over a rock or something and you can't
   5. Being able to control an enemy for a short amount of time using a spell - So you can make those succubus attraction spells ;D

That's all I can think of right now, some might already be there or what not but that's just what's on the top of my head.
I used to have a list but idk what happened to it.

winkio

May 06, 2010, 10:59:33 pm #52 Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 11:02:27 pm by winkio
1.  Actors have to belong to a party, so if you mean NPC actors, then no, otherwise, if you mean party members that you can't control, that would be pets.
2.  Doesn't ammo already do the bonuses by itself?  Just put some elements on it.  And I was fairly certain that different ammo did different animations, but I'll double check.
3.  Yeah, I almost forgot to add that to the release which is coming in a few days.  Thanks for reminding me :)
4.  You mean having projectiles collide with walls and other terrain tags, right?  I'll add it to the list
5.  I like the idea, but I'm not going to do it.  I think it's a really cool and unique feature, but it shouldn't be part of the ABS.  So if someone wants it to be a part of their game, they can get a custom script, and it will actually be unique, instead of something that everyone has.

Landith

1. Yeah I thought it was pets just couldn't remember and was to lazy to check xD
2. The animations is what I was really wanting, I can't remember if the elements were working or not.
3. Glad I reminded you :D
4. Ok sounds good.
5. Yeah, good point. :)

poxy

Quote from: winkio on May 06, 2010, 09:51:21 pm
I don't get what you mean with the second one - does the player control the movement, or is it predefined?

The movement is predefined. I think moving up one square would be great to make the action seem real, as in step-up & punch, or step-up & slice. I remember talking to Blizz about it and he mentioned he would've implemented something like it in the combo system. It's a feature XAS has also. I'll have to go back and look up the post it's somewhere in the Blizz ABS thread...
My Project: ShowHide

winkio

Yeah I have to talk to Blizz about what all he planned for the combo system.  Like whether it's just for attacks, and how much customization it entails, etc.  Anyways it will get added in with the combo system, whether it's part of the combos themselves, or a separate configurable feature :)

ShadowPierce

->Hey guys, sorry for not being a very active member... Oh right, the suggestion... Well, I picked this up while I was playing Phantasy Star: Ambition of the Illuminus in my Playstation 2 (yes, I still play my PS2... a lot, actually)... I was fighting a kind of enemy where it attacks both from the front & the rear... Though the attack was quite strong, it was easily avoided by attacking it from the sides... So my suggestion is: a Weakness System & Multi-Direction Attacking... I'm not a scripter so I don't really know if this is possible but I really hope you liked my idea... The Weakness System is making an enemy be able to receive decreased or no damage at all from a side/s & full damage on it's weak side, while the Multi-Direction Attacking allows attacking from more than just one side everytime you or the enemy attacks...

Hope I helped!!! ^^

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Blizzard on February 16, 2011, 03:44:48 pmThere you go. It's the proof that SDK is crap. It's incompatible with itself.
3DS Friend Code: ShowHide
1161-0627-9890

Blizzard

Quote from: winkio on May 06, 2010, 09:51:21 pm
Diagonal shooting

You have to implement first 8-directional sprites since otherwise you won't know if the character is looking up-left or down-left (or just left) when his sprite is looking left.

Quote from: winkio on May 06, 2010, 10:59:33 pm
4.  You mean having projectiles collide with walls and other terrain tags, right?  I'll add it to the list
5.  I like the idea, but I'm not going to do it.  I think it's a really cool and unique feature, but it shouldn't be part of the ABS.  So if someone wants it to be a part of their game, they can get a custom script, and it will actually be unique, instead of something that everyone has.

4. *points to wall tags*
5. I agree. It can also be evented. #_#

Also, yes, the moving-then-attacking thing was an idea for the combo system. Mainly the idea for the combo system was that you can define a sequence of actions that is triggered by a skill. i.e. move forward, normal attack, jump backward, use body skill Charge while moving 3 tiles forward, jump into the air, use area damage skill Earthquake.

Yeah, that's also a thing I forgot to mention. I was going to add a "Body Skill" which lets the user move and turn himself into a permanent projectile damaging everything he touches. He can also have an area of damage and damage everything around him in 2 tiles radius. So the idea is that the character has a predefined movement direction and distance and during that movement, he practically becomes a projectile.

winkio

Okay, I just have to touch up the manual and make sure i didn't leave any extraneous code behind, but here's what's in 2.71:

Bug where you could jump on top of impassable events fixed
Bug where all events would go off on event touch fixed
Option per-item to use the icon or an animated charset for its drop
Projectiles that can explode either on contact with a target only, at the end of their range only, or in both cases.

G_G

Cant wait for it. <3 Is the config app going to be updated as well?