Blizz-ABS Bug and Suggestion Compilation

Started by winkio, April 21, 2010, 03:40:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

May 16, 2010, 08:57:49 pm #80 Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:54:11 pm by winkio
And the cool thing is, you can make new types of skills/items using combos that aren't combo related at all.  For example, super jump (jump forward 5 spaces), rest (stand still and slowly regain health), not to mention reaction mini games where you have to time your input correctly or you die (boulder chasing you, terrain crumbling, etc.).

As you can tell, I want to see how people use this really badly XD

EDIT: alright, 2.74 is up.  The only problem from what I recall is that the player can still attack/use items/do whatever during the combo, even when they shouldn't be able to.  I will make it an optional feature to turn off user weapons/items/skills for each combo :)

Getsuga_blackout

well, i have an idea, about the sprite setting of attack pose.
i think the sprite setting of Blizz-ABs isn't very easy, because you need a bigger size for the hero's attack pose (without weapon), and a smaller size of the weapon sprite, not like mr. mo's abs or xas, it's use the same size of the character's attack pose and the weapon, and for blizz abs, you just need to combine the actor's attack pose and the weapon, it's so easy to use for mr.mo's abs.

and my suggestion is,
Quotecan you make the sprite setting for attack pose of blizz-abs is same like Mr.Mo's abs or XAS

thanks,

winkio

Quotecan you make the sprite setting for attack pose of blizz-abs is same like Mr.Mo's abs or XAS

You can make the spritesets the same size in Blizz-ABS.  You are just allowed to make them bigger or smaller to increase functionality and make attacks that look better.

Quote from: winkio on May 16, 2010, 08:57:49 pm
The only problem from what I recall is that the player can still attack/use items/do whatever during the combo, even when they shouldn't be able to.  I will make it an optional feature to turn off user weapons/items/skills for each combo :)

that has been fixed :D.  Which means all I have to do is set everything up for allies and enemies, and then you will have v2.75!

G_G

*coughs* Config App *coughs* :V

Nice job winkio!

winkio

Yeah, I know it's not very easy to use until I have the config app done.  I'll also put up a small game demo at some point to show off some cool things I've played around ;)

nathmatt

found a small bug
return 0 if enemy.gold != 0
noticed while updating my Battle_Dome Script line 1547 for better refrence
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

winkio

1.  what error do you get
2.  when do you get it

There shouldn't be an error happening there, that's weird o_o

nathmatt

no error your telling it to return 0 if enemy.gold != 0 which is giving you no gold at all if you fix it to
return 0 if enemy.gold == 0
you get gold
Join Dead Frontier
Sorry, I will no longer be scripting for RMXP. I may or may not give support for my scripts. I don't have the will to script in RGSS anymore.
My script

winkio

XD

When you said a bug, I didn't bother reading the statement, I just wondered what error message you were getting.  Good catch anyways.

legacyblade

Now blizz-abs officially has all the features of xas o.o happy day.

winkio

And so much more (although Blizz gets the credit for that - especially allies)

legacyblade

It's had more features since the earlier versions, and has always been better. But with the addition of the combo system, you've literally taken the last feature XAS had that blizzABS lacked and added a more powerful version of it :P

winkio

That's the way we roll here at Chaos Project 8)

(of course, I still need to make it work for enemies and allies, and get the config app done)

legacyblade

I'll test it once the full featured version is out :P

winkio

May 18, 2010, 12:00:27 am #94 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:03:28 am by winkio
Hey guys, I was thinking over different models for the combos in the config app, and wanted to ask your opinions:

Model 1:
Use a ton of drop down boxes, extra dialogues, and number input boxes, like currently seen in the config for items, skills, and weapons
Pros: easy to use, no confusion
Cons: takes a lot of time, tedious to navigate, limited to basic capabilities

Model 2:
The user would be able to configure everything using plain english text.
Examples:
Move path:  "Turn R", "Walk DL", "Jump 3" (R is for Right, DL for Down-Left - might do either this or use NSEW (map directions))
Conditions:  "Battler HP greater than 50", "Current frame >= Total time and Character Direction == Up"  (==, <, >, !=, <=, >=, &&, || would be either symbol or word)
Commands:  "Attack", "Skill 50", "Battler HP add 10"  (add is the += operator for those of you who are scripters)
Pros: very quick, easy to understand
Cons: wording must be exact and follow a certain syntax, English only

Model 3:
The user would be able to start from a collection of preset actions, and edit them to their needs
Examples:
Move path:  run forward three steps, jump in a square pattern, run forward and attack then jump back
Conditions:  battler hp > 20 and battler sp > 20
Commands:  attack, use skill, use item, battler effects
Pros: easy to use, does most of the work for the user
Cons: limited to basic capabilities, monotonous

With all three models, you will be able to see the code generated by your configuration, and have the ability to edit the code directly.  The final code is what will be saved into your configuration and generated in the script.

So what do you all think?

EDIT: oh, I forgot to add, all 3 require about the same amount of work.  I hope to have them finished within 6 days.

legacyblade

I think model 3 sounds best for blizzABS. While I think I'd personally prefer number 2, blizzABS has traditionally been a n00b friendly script (the config app), and we'd get floods of "NUUUU TEH SCRIPT BROKEN SUX FIX FOR ME!" posts where the problem is their configuration. Also, the need to have a reference sheet open to make it would be irritating on a single monitor (not a problem for me, since i have two).

To sum it up, I think you should go with model 3. 2 is what I'd prefer to use, but it doesn't seem to fit with the feel of blizzABS' seemingly n00b friendly vision (and will probably have a LOT more bugs). But let's see what everyone else thinks. Plus model 3 sounds a lot more like eventing, and that's what the majority of RMXPs userbase is familiar with.

winkio

Right, you make good points.  This is how I got to this point.

I first started out doing model 1, but was like "there has got to be a better way"

Then I thought up model 2, but when it comes down to it, it's really the same thing as scripting, it's just helping the user out with keywords.

Then model 3 was basically a shortcut to model 1 where instead of configuring each thing individually, you had to chose from presets.

Also, combos work for allies and enemies now (YAY).  Custom bosses with combos are epic.  Especially because you can allow the players to counter or avoid them using player input.  It's so awesome.

Blizzard

I agree there, model 3 would be most suitable. I suggest you take a look at how movement route in RMXP works. I was originally going to make it work a similar way. I don't think you will need conditions then, except maybe "has previous combo button requirement been fulfilled by pressing that button".
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

May 18, 2010, 11:39:30 am #98 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:14:53 pm by winkio
I don't understand what you are envisioning with movement route: would it be for the whole thing, or just the movement part?  

Also, I was thinking that the conditions would come in three forms:  time frame equal to a certain frame, input, and battler stats, and you always had to have a time frame, but you could choose input and battler stats individually.

EDIT: Also, the explosion type glitch has been fixed in the config app, so when the config is finally done, you should be able to use configurations from 2.7 without having to change anything.

Blizzard

May 18, 2010, 01:24:39 pm #99 Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:37:53 pm by Blizzard
I meant the whole thing. A combo would be simply a sequence of actions which can consist out of movement, skill usage and attacks.
Also, a thing that I wanted to add is button input time windows. The idea is that the user presses a button on the config GUI saying "input time window" that opens a small window where he can choose which button needs to be pressed and how long the "time window" stays open. Then in the configuration there would be another button that defines a condition button like "input check successful" and "input check failed" that can check if during a time window from before the appropriate button was pressed. If not, the combo would be aborted. Here's an example:

Quote1. Combo Start. (not a real action)
2. Jump Back 1 square. (assuming the jump takes 12 frames or more)
3. Wait 4 frames.
4. Open input time window of 8 frames for button M.
5. Wait for all actions to finish.
6. If time window "8 frames for button M" failed:
- Abort combo.
7. Executed body skill with ID 5 (Super Charge). (assuming the skill takes 12 frames or more, moves 3 squares forward)
8. Wait 6 frames.
9. Open input time window of 6 frames for button N XOR button H. (exclusive or)
10. Wait for all actions to finish.
11. If time window "6 frames for button N XOR button H" had button N triggered:
- Execute skill ID 9 (Earthquake).
12. Else if time window "6 frames for button N XOR button H" had button H triggered:
- Execute skill ID 12 (Energy Wave).
13. Wait for all actions to finish.

Another one:

2. Execute skill ID 1 (Slash). (assuming the skill takes 20 frames or more)
3. Open input time window 1 of 10 frames for button K.
4. Wait 10 frames.
5. Open input time window 2 of 10 frames for button K.
6. Wait for all actions to finish.
7. If time window 1 "10 frames for button K" successful:
- Execute skill ID 3 (Light Slash).
- Wait for all actions to finish.
- Execute skill ID 4 (Heavy Slash).
8. Else if time window 2 "10 frames for button K" successful:
- Switch temporarily to charging sprite animated with frame times [2, 2, 2, 2].
- Allow combo abortion if taken damage.
- Wait 8 frames.
- Disallow combo abortion if taken damage.
- Execute skill ID 5 (Super Slash).
9. Wait for all actions to finish.

Get the idea? :naughty:

Of course, skills triggered through a combo can't trigger other combos, but a combo can continue with another combo.

2. Execute attack.
3. Open unlimited input time window for button K.
4. Wait for all actions to finish.
5. Close input time window for button K.
6. If time window "for button K" successful:
- Run combo #69.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.